“Classic Great Ski Hotel (don't believe the negative reviews below..!)”

Hotel Les Barmes de l'Ours
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Before I went to Barmes de L'Ours, I was hesitant. Not only was the price for our Junior Suite very steep, but I read some of the negative reviews below.

However, once I arrived, I realized that I had few causes for concern.. this is a classic ski lodge which is ideally located (not too close to the hustle & bustle of town, and yet right next to the piste), has great rooms, a nice spa, good restaurants, and most impressively (for France!) superb service.

The hotel itself is warmly decorated with lots of wood and a true alpine feel. It is comfortable and stylish and everything feels new and well maintained. If there was one thing that I would say that is outstanding is the location. Having skiied for umpteen years and been to a huge number of top resorts, I feel that location is key. This hotel is super convenient for skiing and is virtually ski in/ski out (so don't believe the review below that says this isn't so, as it is!). I say virtually as you have to climb some steps up a ramp to get onto the bottom of the Bellevarde piste, and at the end of the day you can ski right back to the front door (ok the piste is black but you can traverse from the easier slopes..). And if you can't be bothered to walk, you can use the efficient shuttle service of the hotel.

Yet I forget another outstanding feature of this hotel.... the service! Yes read my lips.. the SERVICE! Yes, this is France but service here is gracious, kind, thoughtful and hospitable... From the experienced front desk manager, to Marie (who kindly showed us 2 rooms for us to choose from), to Antoinne (who happily lit our fireplace every afternoon), and to the young staff who cheerily brought us after-ski snacks.. everyone is really just plain nice! I would put this down to the Manager Valerie who herself is pleasant, but most importantly highly knowledgeable and professional. Oh, and Polo who runs the ski shop is a great guy too.. helpful and attentive, just like everyone who works in this hotel. And oh.. oh.. Astrid.. the rep for the ski school.. she will sort you out with the best instructors such as Julian..

So, please DON"T believe the complaints in the other reviews. To me, they are rubbish and do not accurately describe this excellent ski in/ski out hotel. Yes it's pricey, but then again which ski hotel is cheap if it has 5 stars and a 1 Michelin Star restaurant? Get real complainers.. and go stay in some budget hell hole as this ain't it! And if you really want to complain about prices, then go check on the price of a basic room at the Charmes Les Airelles in Courchevel.... now that's a true rip-off.. not Les Barmes! Le Barmes is a gem in the best ski area in Europe.

Room Tip: Get a room or suite with a view of the Bellevarde Piste.. divine especially when Frostgun is on!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Titillator

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We have just returned from a four day stay at the hotel, with my wife and two young children (aged 9 and 5). We've stayed at various highly rated hotels in Arosa, Courchevel, Zermatt, Grindlewald over the past few years and, without doubt, this is the best we've experienced. Here is a summary;
Service: most importantly, the hotel manager was always visible and clearly in charge. The concierge was highly efficient with our requests for recommendations in the resort and restaurant reservations. Service in La Rotisserie was exemplary.
Location: you can ski back to the hotel at the end of the day, and it's a 5 minute walk to the lifts in the mornings (or there's a regular shuttle service run by the hotel).
Rooms: we were in a family suite, with a terrific view, large terrace and our two children in bunk beds, which they loved.
Food: the buffet in the Rotisserie was easily the best we've ever encountered. The quality in the Table de l'Ours was first rate, but the service somewhat slow.
Spa and pool: both were of a very high standard. We've experienced better spas, but only in much larger hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms above reception at the front of the hotel have the best views
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank topant1
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Most expensive hotel in Val , you would expect the top quality... Personnal poorly trained , vulgar.Clients, a lot of noisy bad educated eastern bloc families.Decoration basic.
Linen not in coton.Restaurant rotisserie is a shame, service not professional, food basic, wine prices ridiculous.You have much better options in VAL !!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank singazulu2
Reviewed 18 April 2010

By most peoples standards this hotel is expensive and that's just fine if you get what you pay for.
I booked a twin room for my son and I and was given a double. They changed it but why make the error? We were given an upgrade and the new room was very nice but had no shower, just a spa bath. Strange in this day and age.
Food was terrific. We had one lunch on arrival, dinner each night and breakfast. Sensational!
Drinks prices..... oh my goodness. I know the exchange rate is against us but I can see raw profit very clearly.
For late season skiing this is NOT a ski in/out hotel. I spoke to several guests who found it difficult to get back in particular.
I would not go back as there are far better overall hotels which are better in an overall sense.

• Stayed: April 2010
3  Thank Brooke1403
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Stayed inLes Barmes de L'Ours April 3rd to the 10th 2010 as two families each with university age children. This is a difficult hotel to review as so much of it was excellent but the food really let it down(and the price of wine,cheapest at 65Euros). The rooms are well decorated and comfortable, good quality linen,bathrooms could do with more lighting ,standard rooms a little small but that's normal for Vald'Isere. The internet connection was intermittent but the service at reception was excellent and getting skipasses etc all very painless.The hotel has an excellent ski shop run by Paul who was marvellous amd the service again was great. The pool complex was very good although the spa prices for massages(approx 130 Euros) meant that this Brit went without, It was also a shame that the pool didn't open before 9am as my husband wanted to go for a swim before breakfast but was unable to.
We could have done without the live entertainment in the very nice hotel bar
as it was impossible to have a convivial preprandial drink with friends and hear each other speak.The standard of entertainment was a) not very good and b) far too loud. And actually quite unecessary but perhaps that's a personal preference.
The hotel boasts three restaurants- the Gastronomique (pretentious,warm ,limp food),the Savoie Specialite ( fine but difficult to get a fondue wrong) and the Rotiserrie which had an impressive array of seafood and charcuterie as a buffet starter but the main course one night ended up being sausage and chips a la a motorway cafe. (This was an alternative to a great slab of meat masquerading as a pork chop on the menu). In fairness we did send it back and ordered steaks(not offered on the menu) which were duly produced and delicious. but even lobster and oysters four days a week palls! We did raise our concerns with the management about the food and price of wine but other than changing from half board to bed and breakfast and eating out (much better) nothing else came of it.
I would definitely stay there again as I think it's the best hotel in Vald'Isere,it has a tranquil atmosphere which I loved and generally the service was excellent but I'd eat out.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I don't understand the other reviews, we had a fantastic easter break , we are just coming back
the hotel made a special decoration , menu at the restaurant for easter
the buffet was unbelievable , everything was delicious , tasty , very good quality.
the sommelier suggested some delicious wine very tasty not very expensive ,
the savoyard restaurant is really good, relax, nice decoration , wood decoration .
i loved the fact we didn t have to go out for dinner, 3 restaurants , different style .
we stayed 4 nights in deluxe bedroom , the room is really pretty with wood , spacious and luxury bathroom and fantastic view on the mountain from the balcony.
little gifts every night , attentive service from housekeeper , nice bathrobe good quality not synthetic..same for the sheets all coton
the staff is very competent trying to do their best for you , there is great ambiance at the lounge around 7 pm , pianist or band playing every night.
we came back very relaxing , we loved the spa especially hot stone massage.
nice pool m, with jacuzzi , two sauna barnd new
its a delicious easter break , i will recommend it even with kids, everything is easy , ski shop in the hotel , shuttle drop you on the pist..the best ever hotel for skiing!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank chouchana
Reviewed 29 January 2008

the rooms are ok, but the bed sheets are not good quality, all synthetic. just like the service everything looks good but it is very cheap when you use things. nothing was working in the room from the phone, to hair dryer to the internet. the service at the restaurants even the supposedly gastronomique restaurant is lousy. the food is not amazing at all and they push too much for very expensive wine. the staff is useless, very seasonal i guess. not worth it for the price. would not recommend it or go back. when you leave , call the day before to have somebody to help you with your bags!!! the only good things is the concierge and the ski shop.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank proskier