“Simply amazing”

Hotel Les Barmes de l'Ours
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We just had spent great 4 nights at the Les Barmes Valdiz.

Hotel has great access to slopes (both IN and OUT) and after 10 years in operation it still keeps high standard of rooms and all other premises. What makes the hotel different to other Valdiz 5 stars is that is more quiet and relaxed, more modern luxury than traditional Savoian decor.

We only once used chance to dine inside of hotel (eating out in Valdiz is simply irresistible) but richness and variety of buffet was stunning. Excellent sea food, cheese and great meats !

Hotels ski shop is top notch pro, you always get great insight on ski conditions and where is the best to ski on any given day.

Weaknesses I see in 3 points : a) breakfast buffet was fairly modest, though sufficient but was far from the impressive dinner offering, b) staff at breakfast was not always super friendly and often demonstrated "French" attitude c) hotel is frequently visited by Russian guests and that bears implications. We were lucky not to see many, but coming from Eastern Europe, staff considered us Russians, approached us with Russian menus and greetings, but were unaware that by not coming from the RF, this attitude may be inappropriate or even offensive to non Russkie.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Milan P
There are newer reviews for Hotel Les Barmes de l'Ours

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We did not stay in the hotel but have dined at the restaurant. This is a place to dine with comfort in a chalet-styled restaurant. The menu had set menu options with the buffet of starters, cheeses and desserts. We were impressed by a great wine selection. The somelier has made our evening.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Fantastic Staff!! The Hotel is gorgeous, the gourmet restaurant excellent, and the service throughout the hotel is world class! Its not often that I find such gracious staff and service in the five star hotels in France.

The F & B staff were extremely attentive to my vegetarian needs. Everyone greeted me with genuine smiles whether at reception, in the ski room, or in the restaurant and bar.

Rooms are wonderful although a little small for the price. The hotel is situated in a great location for ski-in / ski-out which is rare in Val d'isère. Rooms do lack some modern amenities like iPod docks and electrical sockets for electronic devices. But one call to reception and the technical staff were at my service to accommodate my needs in the room. I was told they have plans to add some more modern amenities next season.

I'm not a big fondue fan but found the quality of the fondue savoyarde with black truffles to be outstanding!

Le Table de l'Ours offers excellent nouvelle haute cuisine with enough choices and flexibility for vegetarians, also rare in France.

The spa team were very attentive and adapted to my special needs and requests. The massage therapists gave real therapeutic massage and not just "beauty school massage" like so many hotels in France.

The best part of this hotel is the staff who really helped make my vacation very special!

Merci beaucoup!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BambinaRosa
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Before I went to Barmes de L'Ours, I was hesitant. Not only was the price for our Junior Suite very steep, but I read some of the negative reviews below.

However, once I arrived, I realized that I had few causes for concern.. this is a classic ski lodge which is ideally located (not too close to the hustle & bustle of town, and yet right next to the piste), has great rooms, a nice spa, good restaurants, and most impressively (for France!) superb service.

The hotel itself is warmly decorated with lots of wood and a true alpine feel. It is comfortable and stylish and everything feels new and well maintained. If there was one thing that I would say that is outstanding is the location. Having skiied for umpteen years and been to a huge number of top resorts, I feel that location is key. This hotel is super convenient for skiing and is virtually ski in/ski out (so don't believe the review below that says this isn't so, as it is!). I say virtually as you have to climb some steps up a ramp to get onto the bottom of the Bellevarde piste, and at the end of the day you can ski right back to the front door (ok the piste is black but you can traverse from the easier slopes..). And if you can't be bothered to walk, you can use the efficient shuttle service of the hotel.

Yet I forget another outstanding feature of this hotel.... the service! Yes read my lips.. the SERVICE! Yes, this is France but service here is gracious, kind, thoughtful and hospitable... From the experienced front desk manager, to Marie (who kindly showed us 2 rooms for us to choose from), to Antoinne (who happily lit our fireplace every afternoon), and to the young staff who cheerily brought us after-ski snacks.. everyone is really just plain nice! I would put this down to the Manager Valerie who herself is pleasant, but most importantly highly knowledgeable and professional. Oh, and Polo who runs the ski shop is a great guy too.. helpful and attentive, just like everyone who works in this hotel. And oh.. oh.. Astrid.. the rep for the ski school.. she will sort you out with the best instructors such as Julian..

So, please DON"T believe the complaints in the other reviews. To me, they are rubbish and do not accurately describe this excellent ski in/ski out hotel. Yes it's pricey, but then again which ski hotel is cheap if it has 5 stars and a 1 Michelin Star restaurant? Get real complainers.. and go stay in some budget hell hole as this ain't it! And if you really want to complain about prices, then go check on the price of a basic room at the Charmes Les Airelles in Courchevel.... now that's a true rip-off.. not Les Barmes! Le Barmes is a gem in the best ski area in Europe.

Room Tip: Get a room or suite with a view of the Bellevarde Piste.. divine especially when Frostgun is on!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Titillator
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We have just returned from a four day stay at the hotel, with my wife and two young children (aged 9 and 5). We've stayed at various highly rated hotels in Arosa, Courchevel, Zermatt, Grindlewald over the past few years and, without doubt, this is the best we've experienced. Here is a summary;
Service: most importantly, the hotel manager was always visible and clearly in charge. The concierge was highly efficient with our requests for recommendations in the resort and restaurant reservations. Service in La Rotisserie was exemplary.
Location: you can ski back to the hotel at the end of the day, and it's a 5 minute walk to the lifts in the mornings (or there's a regular shuttle service run by the hotel).
Rooms: we were in a family suite, with a terrific view, large terrace and our two children in bunk beds, which they loved.
Food: the buffet in the Rotisserie was easily the best we've ever encountered. The quality in the Table de l'Ours was first rate, but the service somewhat slow.
Spa and pool: both were of a very high standard. We've experienced better spas, but only in much larger hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms above reception at the front of the hotel have the best views
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank topant1
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Most expensive hotel in Val , you would expect the top quality... Personnal poorly trained , vulgar.Clients, a lot of noisy bad educated eastern bloc families.Decoration basic.
Linen not in coton.Restaurant rotisserie is a shame, service not professional, food basic, wine prices ridiculous.You have much better options in VAL !!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank singazulu2
Reviewed 18 April 2010

By most peoples standards this hotel is expensive and that's just fine if you get what you pay for.
I booked a twin room for my son and I and was given a double. They changed it but why make the error? We were given an upgrade and the new room was very nice but had no shower, just a spa bath. Strange in this day and age.
Food was terrific. We had one lunch on arrival, dinner each night and breakfast. Sensational!
Drinks prices..... oh my goodness. I know the exchange rate is against us but I can see raw profit very clearly.
For late season skiing this is NOT a ski in/out hotel. I spoke to several guests who found it difficult to get back in particular.
I would not go back as there are far better overall hotels which are better in an overall sense.

• Stayed: April 2010