“Only for travellers who know what F1 - Formule 1 hotels are”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
hotelF1 Villefranche sur Saone
“Only for travellers who know what F1 - Formule 1 hotels are”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I am giving this a poor score, not because I didn't like spending the night there, but because this is what this chain of hotels is supposed to be: poor. Basic service. If I rate it as excellent it may confuse the traveller who hasn't heard of these hotels.
Basically, you use F1 hotels if you don't want to sleep in the street. If your other options are camping or sleeping in your car. That's when these hotels come in handy.
Know what to expect though, a roof on your head and a bed. THAT'S IT. That's what you pay for and that's what you get. It prevents you from sleeping in the street.
I wouldn't use them for a holiday, but we were picking up our car that we left with my relatives in Italy some months ago and were driving back to the UK, so we stopped here and there to sleep during our road trip. These hotels are lifesavers, when we drove for too long and were tired, we could sleep in a bed for a little money. A room for two, 36 euros, that's like £15 per person and it kept us safe during our road trip.
If you arrive too late there's no reception but you get your room from the automatic computer at the door, you get a code to open the front door and the bedroom door.
The rooms are basic, two beds and a sink, no toilet or wardrobes. But think this, if you weren't here you would be paying 70 euros somewhere else or sleeping in your car.
The room was reasonably clean although the previous travellers must have smoked in it because I could smell it, and under the sheet there was some hair, better not look and sleep with your clothes on. And possibly pack a pillow cover in your suitcase to put on the pillow.
Even though I am grateful these cheap places exist, I wouldn't use more than is absolutely necessary. You can use their shower (that you share with everybody else) but I wouldn't shower there, I washed at the sink in my room and used wet wipes fir myself and dry shampoo for my hair.
Also there's no toilet in the room, you share that one with everybody else too, so just use common sense and do what you do in public toilets, don't touch the seat but have your bum "floating" over the seat, just like when you pee at the services on the motorway. Also wash under running water when using the sink in your room, I wonder if people per in the sink if they can't be bothered to leave the room for a pee at night (£15 a night per person, we can't be delicate like princesses).
Don't bother with breakfast, you pay extra and it's not worth the quality (there is a Lidl on the same street and that was perfect for me)
I only had a coffe at the vending machine and had breakfast in the car with things bought at the shop and I was happy.
The hotel has free car park and free wifi, that's fantastic.
So, basically, don't think of this place as a hotel. It's not. You would be hugely disappointed. Think of this place as an aid to your road trip, that prevents you from sleeping in the car or having to keep driving when you are tired. That's what it is and thank goodness it exists because I wouldn't have wanted to spend money in good hotels just to bring my car from Italy to the UK.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank prinsessem

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

Excellent hotel for the car traveller heading south on the motorway as it is just off the motorway, easy. Receptionist very helpful and pleasant helped us out with our French / English Room was very clean and tidy

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

The hotel is basic and clean. McDonalds a walk away on a very busy road or a few minutes drive. The toilets and showers are outside in the corridor, not within the rooms, which is a pain when you have young children. It was very noisy in the corridor early in the morning as it was full of people like us travelling up to the ski fields. One person greets at night (friendly) and makes "breakfast" in the tiny lobby in the morning. Breakfast was supposed to be from 7.30 and we got up early to get on the road. She arrived down at 7.35 and proceeded to slowly set up. It wasn't ready until nearly 8 and by then the lobby was full of people. Very few places to sit. Ridiculously small breakfast bar. It took ages, she was slow and unapologetic and the breakfast wasn't worth the wait at all.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family