“Looking forward to going back there”

Arcona Living Batschari 8
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Room for 4 adults, used for 3 adults (being one senior) and one child. Part of the staff was friendly but one person at the reception seemed to prefer not to have guests, very bad mood two nights in a row. Very good breakfast (not included in the price, 12 Euro/person), very comfortable beds, very nice shower, big room with microwave oven, frigobar. We just loved it. One point that could be improved would be food availability at the hotel; there were no options when we got there, late at night and the frigobar was empty.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 December 2012

The hotel was nicely decorated, and the room was a big apartment for 2 people (deluxe suite). The room was modern and updated. The bed was pretty firm, and I think they can improve on that, to make it more of the "luxury" feeling of the place/room. The wifi worked fine for us in our room (iPad), even though they thought there was a problem with their wifi. You have to walk 15-20min to the Christmas market, so we took a cab (too cold outside!). There are a few restaurants nearby: pizza, Italian, German, and a Spanish tapas place (very good!), within a 5min walk. The baths are a short drive away, and highly recommend them!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I had booked this hotel because it was close to the Festspielhaus.
I was there for just one night, to see La Straniera with the wonderful Edita Gruberova and then go home again (to the Netherlands).
Not before but after I had booked I studied Trip Advisor and found some really bad reviews: small rooms, terrible beds, rude staff, people not speaking English, trouble with the internet.

I came prepared to be disappointed.
But I was met by a charming young man and later also met a very charming young woman as front desk clerks.
The room (a ‘junior suite’) exceeded my expectations.
It had a good bed (a bit hard maybe but I like that), a large bathroom, nice extra room with the magnetron, small refrigerator, coffeemaker and hot water cooker in case you prefer tea (which I do - tea bags were also provided).

At one time I went to the reception and asked where I could buy a bottle of wine.
The desk clerk told me I could buy it right there. They have several wines, I bought a Baden-Baden Riesling which was delicious and cost only € 3.60.
Btw: there’s a cork screw in your room.
Also: you find a free bottel of water in your room (from the Baden-Baden region as well).

Only criticism: the internet sucks.
At first I couldn’t connect. Then they would change something so I would be able to connect but the signal was so weak that I still couldn’t connect.
The young man I told this to when I was checking out spoke perfect English by the way.

Conclusion: a good place to stay if you do not want a real hotel.
I didn’t try the breakfast because I am not a big eater in the morning. When I asked at reception if I could maybe buy a small breakfast they said that wasn’t possible but told me where to go in the neighbourhood if that was what I wanted.

I recommend this place and would definitely go back there if I would visit the Festspielhaus again.
But they should do something about the internet.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 19 August 2012

our appartment was roomy and the quality of fixtures and fittings impressive. However there were some practical details that were irritating: our bed was infact a sofa bed and they clearly didn't have sheets to fit it. The kitchenette was minimal, fridge not very cold; power only worked with the key card in place; breakfast (which we didn't try) was expensive; internet security certificate expired so we didn't use it.The location and the building are good, short walk into town, close to small Netto supermarket and bus routes. There is a real feeling of luxury but a lack of attention to detail that gave a poor impression - even the smaller hotel chains do better on that.

Room Tip: i would only stay here if you get a good deal on price.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Breakfast is included in the stay. I was expecting a few items of over cooked food. I should have remembered I was not in the US. It was a huge buffet and so yummy! The room we had was lovely. If we looked out the window their was a castle way up on the hill! kid friendly. Only negative I had was their beds, I have slept on more comfortable floors!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at Batschari Suites in April 2012. And while there were some positives, it is not a real "hotel". This is a building with small apartments. Some are privately owned, some are owned by the company that is called Batschari Suites. How do I know that? First, on the way to my room, I saw "for sale" signs on some of the flats. Second, the elevator (there was only one) was broken during my stay. When I complained about this to the girl at the small lobby, she said, "it is not the hotel's fault, it is the fault of the owner of the building." Thus i understood that the hotel does not own the building, it simply owns some of the rooms and rents them out to guests.

So what? The problem is that this is really not a professionally run hotel. Some of the people at the reservations desk are very unfriendly and unhelpful and obviously untrained in customer service.

But that is not all. Internet use was very frustrating. It would log me off every 5-10 minutes and I had to constantly re-register, which was very frustrating. Breakfast was simple and not worth the 10 euro charge.

On a positive note, the "Grand Suite" is nice and roomy. But the regular suite that I saw was very small. They claim it is 40sq meter, but most of that space must be lost in the long hallway. Another positive note, was that a couple of the night agents were actually friendly, which is why I am giving this hotel two stars rather than one. But place has more of a feeling of a private apartment, than a professionally run hotel.

So, if you are looking for just a room, this may be an option for you. If you are looking for a hotel with friendly customer service and a working elevator, this is probably not the place for you.

Room Tip: Grand Suite costs a little bit more, but it is much more spacious.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo