“Very nice, elegant hotel but thoughtless upon checkin”

Dorint Maison Messmer
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
los angeles, california
“Very nice, elegant hotel but thoughtless upon checkin”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I hardly ever write negative about hotels but I feel it is deserved with this hotel. We arrived at the hotel very late due to circumstances beyond our control. We arrived around 9pm with my 80 year old mom. They directed us to our room but didn't think if asking if we needed help with our luggage to our room. They didn't warn us there would be stairs to our room and the lift was not an option to where our room was located. I thought that was extremely rude, especially to an 80 year old woman. We got to our room and couldn't figure out how to get in. I'm a very experienced traveler so it didn't make sense that room key wouldn't work to get in room. I left my mother outside the door and hiked across the hotel to get help. Turned out the last number of the room was 7 and not 9 and he apologized for not writing it more clearly ( put I line through 7 ( European way) and the number very much looked like a 9. After a long way to get to baden baden and the fact they didn't think of asking us if we wanted help with our luggage and acted like it's no big deal that I gad to come back to the desk ( after the long hike) I would never recommend this hotel. This is actually the first negative review I ever wrote

Room Tip: One that you can get to by elevator
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Diana196191
Elena H, Leiter Front Office at Dorint Maison Messmer, responded to this review, 22 June 2015
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Dorint Maison Messmer, Baden-Baden on Tripadvisor.

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies that your stay in our hotel wasn´t the way you expected it to be.

I would be delighted to talk to you personally to receive more details as feedback is very important for us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me via phone +49 7221 3012800 or via E-Mail martin.benker@dorint.com

We look forward to your continued visits on future trips to Baden-Baden and hope to welcome you back to the hotel someday soon an asure you to offer you a better service at our breakfastroom.

With best regards,

Martin Benker
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I just checked out of the Dorint this morning after one bad night's sleep. The bed was too short (I'm 6'2") and the duvet was too short to cover my body. I slept poorly because either my feet or upper torso were cold. Seems like they would have traditional bedding as an option. My bill was almost $400 euro for one night, one breakfast and one meal. Not worth it if you're traveling alone and all you want is a good nights sleep. The service however was excellent! The staff always said hello and were extremely helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Having staying in Dorints before, I knew to expect a first class experience. What I didn't know however, was how incredible the location of this hotel was. Step out the front door and onto the beautiful city square, steps from the luxurious casino and an easy walk to all parts of the city (especially the baths!). The hotel itself is beautiful and has one of the prettiest spa and pool facilities I have seen outside of a specialty spa resort. The room was beautiful, comfortable bed, great balcony, and a welcome number of English movies on demand. Breakfast buffet was among the best in our stay, and the bar at night had great piano entertainment and delicious cocktails/beer. Dog friendly too, and it was nice to see some four legged friends after a long journey! Price was extremely reasonable for this level of quality and my only complaint is we didn't spend enough time at the hotel itself!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Godbrange
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Hotel has a very cosy and relaxing ambience. Looks as if it has recently been renovated, with taste. We had a really nice service in general from all the staff at any level. People seem to be happy to work there and they really make you feel comfortable!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Staff super helpful if you need English, and super polite. Rooms super clean and the location is right at the centre of everything. If there is something going on at the amphitheatre you can actually sit out on your balcony and watch/ listen if you get a room on level 1. Baden baden is a cool place to poke around for a day or two and the parks are beautiful. Take the mini train tour for a little spin! Breakfast in hotel was buffet mostly meats and cheeses and pastries, yum!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2pinacolodas
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed at the Dorint for 2 nights in August 2012 on way home - so thought this year we would break our journey to Italy by staying in Baden Baden on way there this time. As good as previous year - would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Baden Baden.
Our stay this year coincided with "old timer car meet" which took place for the 3 days we stayed; right outside the Dorint which was an added bonus - albeit the room price reflected an 'event' taking place.
Will return again sometime, perhaps for a Christmas market experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Salzburg, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We just stayed a night during a road trip. We had a rabbit in tow and were allowed to bring it to the room in a little carry on cage. Shortly after getting settled, a lovely young lady brought us two carrots for our rabbit!! Totally unexpected. The breakfast was not included in the nightly rate but was worth paying for. Everything you could possibly want was offered. Baden-Baden is a lovely town!

• Stayed June 2013