“Excellent, but room for improvement”

Dorint Maison Messmer
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Ulm, Germany
“Excellent, but room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Excellent location, rooms well equipped, staff very friendly. Breakfast buffet amazing. Location great within walking distance to the pedestrian zone. Jogging along the river Oos is so amazing. Lichtensteiner Allee is beautifull and so near by. Internet connection is slow and in some rooms even not possible, which does not fit to the overall very good hotel. One additional note: I never had better cushions in a bed than in this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Elena H, Manager at Dorint Maison Messmer, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your fabulous review but I was sorry to learn that your Wlan was not working as expected. Please rest assured that our engineers are working on this problem and I truly hope that they can resolve the issue as soon as possible.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back soon.

With our good withes,

Guest Relation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I just left the Dorint Hotel after a 4night stay over xmas.

LOCATION: absolutely perfect. 10 meters away from the Christmas market and 3 minutes walk from the very center (shops and restaurants).

SERVICE: Helena and Martin are real pros, but the rest definitely need some more training (they forgot to pick us up at the airport and didn't really apologize for it) - Helena more than made up for this mistake though :)

SPA: BEAUTIFUL, but ended up not being able to use it as the swimming pool is cold and steam bath was broken. do know that sauna is naked (and small!)

COSTS: the place is expensive and you pay for every single thing: BREAKFAST (€24 per person per day! it is delicious - best one ever! - but still I find it outrageous); INTERNET (€10 per day per device! - but I think they are changing it to free); PICK UP service (€38.50); MINIBAR (a bottle of 0,33cl is €4!).

overall the place is for rich people, but IT IS BEAUTIFUL (at its best around Xmas time). EVERY DETAIL is well thought and put (artwork, candles, light)

want to go back, but maybe with some special offer! ;)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pollytrip
Elena H, Manager at Dorint Maison Messmer, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you over Christmas at the Dorint Maison Messmer in Baden-Baden. We truly hope you spend some wonderful days in Strasbourg and had a pleasant journey back home.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for you comment on Tripadvisor.
Please rest assured that we are taking each comment from our guest seriously. Our goal is to improve the level of service every day. Furthermore I am delighted to announce that our hotel is offering free internet access for all our hotel guest since January 2014.

I would be delighted to welcome you back with us and I am pretty sure that we will find a nice arrangement for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further queries at any time.

The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked this hotel based on a recommendation and were delighted to find it above and beyond our expectations!
Fantastic location, walking distance to downtown, the Kurhaus und during our stay - next to the Christmas market!
Room was huge, very nicely furnished and heated floors in the bathroom! Plenty of towels and pillows which is not standard in German hotels. Room had a great view and housecleaning was excellent.
Overall the service was impeccable, friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffett is oppulent, the times (until 10:30am) accomdated for late risers. With this buffett you can easily skip lunch.
To our surprise WiFi was not free but Dorinth is changing that to free WiFi as of 1/1/2014.
Parking is very convenient but expensive and you don't need a car in town.
We would recommend this hotel to anybody - Baden-Baden is a wonderful place year round.

Room Tip: We went for the deluxe and it was worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susanne H
Elena H, Guest Relations Manager at Dorint Maison Messmer, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to take the opportunity and thank you for such a wonderful comment and your lovely words about our property in Tripadivisor.

It was a great pleasure to welcome you! We truly hope you had an enjoyable time in
Baden-Baden and pleasant journey back home.

The team of the Dorint Maison Messmer is looking forward to see you next year.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further queries.

Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I am a former guest of Dorint Hotel - Maison Messmer, Baden-Baden. I have to say that it is not my habit to write public complaining messages but this time I felt like I had to, considering that my past email to hotel direction was ignored and my facebook comment on the Dorint's page was deleted!
My first time here was 5 years ago, and since that marvelous experience (I deeply felt in love of Dorint-SPA and in particular of the wonderful steam bath), I have been coming since 2009.
While I am writing this message I am in Dorint and this time more than the other times my consideration of the real quality of this hotel changed in a negative way.
In fact with the exception of the true kindness of some elements of reception staff, I found only bad services, also in the way of guests are treated.
One example?! My first day here, I happily went to SPA to go in the steam bath and it was closed! Nobody told me, both in reception or before my check-in about that. Today it's my 3rd day here and it is still closed! What kind of SPA-RESORT is this?!
The swimming pool water temperature was too cold and not regulated or checked by anyone!
There is almost no employers in the SPA area, for sure less than the former staff.
By the way, 5 years ago the hotel had free LAN cable connection in every room and a free to use internet PC in the reception. Today, the cable connection is dead and there is an awful wifi service (QUITE EXPENSIVE ALSO - should be free for a 5 stars hotel!) which has as "guest login page" languages like Swedish and Greek (spoken by not more than 8-9 millions of people in the world) but not ITALIAN! it makes no sense!
Finally, unlike the past 5 years, this time we have felt to be treated like customers, not at all like attached and frequent guests as we have been.

Room Tip: Rooms on corners are the most comfortable!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ualadun
Elena H, Manager at Dorint Maison Messmer, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to take the opportunity and thank you for your kind conversation a couple of days ago.

It is a great pleasure that you will give us a second chance in the future. Furthermore we are proudly to announce that internet will be free of charge 2014.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any queries directly.

los angeles, california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I hardly ever write negative about hotels but I feel it is deserved with this hotel. We arrived at the hotel very late due to circumstances beyond our control. We arrived around 9pm with my 80 year old mom. They directed us to our room but didn't think if asking if we needed help with our luggage to our room. They didn't warn us there would be stairs to our room and the lift was not an option to where our room was located. I thought that was extremely rude, especially to an 80 year old woman. We got to our room and couldn't figure out how to get in. I'm a very experienced traveler so it didn't make sense that room key wouldn't work to get in room. I left my mother outside the door and hiked across the hotel to get help. Turned out the last number of the room was 7 and not 9 and he apologized for not writing it more clearly ( put I line through 7 ( European way) and the number very much looked like a 9. After a long way to get to baden baden and the fact they didn't think of asking us if we wanted help with our luggage and acted like it's no big deal that I gad to come back to the desk ( after the long hike) I would never recommend this hotel. This is actually the first negative review I ever wrote

Room Tip: One that you can get to by elevator
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Diana196191
Elena H, Leiter Front Office at Dorint Maison Messmer, responded to this review, 22 June 2015
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Dorint Maison Messmer, Baden-Baden on Tripadvisor.

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies that your stay in our hotel wasn´t the way you expected it to be.

I would be delighted to talk to you personally to receive more details as feedback is very important for us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me via phone +49 7221 3012800 or via E-Mail martin.benker@dorint.com

We look forward to your continued visits on future trips to Baden-Baden and hope to welcome you back to the hotel someday soon an asure you to offer you a better service at our breakfastroom.

With best regards,

Martin Benker
Front Office Manager
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I just checked out of the Dorint this morning after one bad night's sleep. The bed was too short (I'm 6'2") and the duvet was too short to cover my body. I slept poorly because either my feet or upper torso were cold. Seems like they would have traditional bedding as an option. My bill was almost $400 euro for one night, one breakfast and one meal. Not worth it if you're traveling alone and all you want is a good nights sleep. The service however was excellent! The staff always said hello and were extremely helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Having staying in Dorints before, I knew to expect a first class experience. What I didn't know however, was how incredible the location of this hotel was. Step out the front door and onto the beautiful city square, steps from the luxurious casino and an easy walk to all parts of the city (especially the baths!). The hotel itself is beautiful and has one of the prettiest spa and pool facilities I have seen outside of a specialty spa resort. The room was beautiful, comfortable bed, great balcony, and a welcome number of English movies on demand. Breakfast buffet was among the best in our stay, and the bar at night had great piano entertainment and delicious cocktails/beer. Dog friendly too, and it was nice to see some four legged friends after a long journey! Price was extremely reasonable for this level of quality and my only complaint is we didn't spend enough time at the hotel itself!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple