“Great little hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great little hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

From the outside this hotel is kind of plain, but the rooms are very neat and clean. Sort of Ikea style, but that's fine with me. There were lots of windows in our corner room with lushly planted flower boxes (something you won't get at a Hilton). They will provide a tea kettle and supplies if you ask. Our rate included breakfast which was a lavish european style buffet. The place was remodeled about 2010 and is still very fresh looking inside. Location is great. Staff friendly and helpful.
We will stay there again. Everything it has is excellent for the tourist couple. The only reason I give it four stars is because business customers may not find all the services and facilities they might expect at a larger hotel.

Room Tip: Our corner room was very nice. It's a quiet neighborhood so I don't think there are any bad...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craig S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Three friends and I booked this the day before our visit because we decided to go to the spa....and drove 8 hours from Italy to do so. Small hotel with lovely breakfast buffet included in an elegant in house restaurant...it also serves dinner.The rooms were typically small, as European hotel rooms are. Everything was clean, relatively new, and comfortable . The location is right in the center of town with shops and restaurants abounding. This is a classy town. The Caracalla spa was amazing.
I would gladly stay again, but not in the 90 degree heat ....the hotel is not air conditioned ..I presume it is hardly needed, but boy did we need it. It was difficult for us spoiled Americans who are used to air comfort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Arriving at the hotel Merkur in Baden Baden I received the warmest "welcome" I have ever received! Frau Rube made us feel really welcomed and special! The information she gave us about the area and "what to do in. Baden Baden" could easily beat any travel agent.
The hotel has a very small reception area but, we were given a Beautiful spacious room, very comfortable and elegant. Bathroom, towels, linen, everything was at an excellent standard. Then, the next morning, we were pleasantly surprised by another exceptionally polite and friendly enough lady at the front desk, Frau Koch! We were in need of a housekeeper early in the morning and she was sent to us within 5 min!!! And when we thanked mrs Koch the reply was "my pleasure, that's why I am here for"!!!
At breakfast the young lady who served us, was very pleasant and only too happy to serve. When I asked about a local speciality, she run and got me the recipe! amazing! So kind!
I cannot finish unless I say a big thank you to the lady at the front desk of the night shift (pls forgive me that I am not sure of her name, I think it was Sabrina) she also gave us info and assistance with restaurants and attractions we should visit. She was so pleasant and helpful.
We went to Baden Baden planning to stay only for one night, but the Exceptionally good service, the comfortable hotel and beautiful Baden Baden made us extent our stay for 3 nights and cancel the rest of our adventure. This is the reason we were given a different room every night, but the staff moved our luggage so there was no hassle. But the first room we were given was the best one.
I have travelled and visited many hotels, but the staff at this hotel is the best I have ever met! They really looked happy to be of service!
So thank you again, Frau Rube, Frau Koch, , Sabrina, Sara and Olga.

We are planning to go back very soon and this destination will be one of our favourite.

Room Tip: We had 3 different rooms, all very good, but the 1st room at 1st floor was the best. It was a corner...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank XZT
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was only there for a night, but I thought the location was perfect, the rooms clean and unique. The front desk could get a little bogged down, but you can 't get everything! Breakfast was delightful.

Driving there is...difficult, however. My GPS took me through a pedestrian area (that didn't work), and the parking lot is scary tight. Definitely reserve a space in advance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Oldenburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hotel is situated in a quiet neighborhood but in very short walking distance to the centre of Baden-Baden. The rooms are clean and modern and have enough space.
The value-for-money ration is very good and there is a very good restaurant within the building.
But there is no bar or lobby to have a glas of vine at the end of the day.

Room Tip: A room to the backside will be quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Merkur while visiting Baden-Baden for a short vacation. The hotel is in a very nice location - very near to a bus stop and short walk from all the major attractions (such as pedestrian shopping zone, casino, spas). The room we stayed in was a nice size for Europe and very modern and clean. I found the beds a little hard...but that's a matter of preference. The breakfast was included and very substantial. The staff was always present and very friendly and helpful. There is an elevator, but it is pretty small. It was easier to just use the stairs to get around. We did experience some loud street noises in the morning from garbage trucks and kids going to school. But during the evening and night we weren't disturbed by anything.

I don't have anything negative to say about the hotel - I think it met our expectations. I don't give it 5 stars because I usually reserve that for hotels that truly stand out in some way. But I would be happy to stay at the Hotel Merkur if we ever find ourselves in Baden-Baden again. Which I hope we do - we were so impressed by the extensive amount of hiking trails. The hike up to visit the old castle is well worth it. Great place to explore if you have children!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank christinamn
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

All round I could not fault this hotel. It is located 50 metres from the main town centre, the rooms are large and modern. Staff extremely friendly. The Wifi works well, there is onsite parking and the breakfast is very good.

The rooms are very large in comparison with other hotels. We have been travelling for a month and stayed in many hotels however the Hotel Merkur is amongst the best 3 to date. The other good think about this hotel is that it has a lift (and after you have been carrying bags up and down stairs - it is a great relief.

Baden-Baden is a great city to visit (one night only). We were very surprised by the size of the city and the main pedestrian mall.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple