“Gateway to the Black Forest”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Novotel Freiburg

Novotel Freiburg
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Gateway to the Black Forest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend trip into the Black Forest and we were grateful for the availability of this particular hotel. The staff is incredibly accomodating with everything from check-in to breakfast service.

Parking is located directly beneath the hotel; however, you can only enter into the garage from one direction. The downside of this hotel is the proximity to the main train station. If you drive into Freiburg, the train station is a distraction; however, if you decide to take the train into Freiburg, the proximity is great.

The Novotel is located within a five minute walk of the pedestrian zone and less than a ten minute walk to the main square and the cathedral. Either way, the centrally located Novotel is a perfect place to stay.

Last but not least, the breakfast is well worth the cost. The standard hot breakfast menu (eggs, sausage, waffles) are available, but also a selection of black forest meats are offered making this a very unique selection to start your day.

Room Tip: Face away from the main train station if possible.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5383Novotel, Leiter Front Office at Novotel Freiburg, responded to this review, 10 September 2014

the Novotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel few times in the past and the experience is always ok. This time it was really bad. May be new staff, who don't even know how to welcome the guest. I am a platinum member with Accor but this hotel staff has no consideration for that. I think somebody at a later stage told them about the platinum status value and then the sent me fruit platter to the room. The phone was not working in the room so every time I need to check something, I have to go down to the reception.
Another blow, I asked them an adapter to charge my phone battery. Funny and surprisingly, they showed me one full bunch of adapters and told me to chose one from those. Guess what!!! All this adapters are good to be used in United Kingdom. Not even one of the adapter can be used in their own hotel. Asking the reason, they don't even know. And no single word of apologies.
In the morning when I am checking out, reception is offering me a breakfast when I have to catch my train the next 15 minutes. All standards of this hotel have gone down. No idea for what reasons.
Need to think hard before staying at this hotel next time. What a shame to Novotel. With such bad service being offered to their platinum and a regular guest.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

St. George, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from the train station. The rooms are clean and modern. The staff was very accommodating during the Wimbledon finals (in-room tv isn't set up for skysport). They let a few of us in the bar, even though it was closed, so we could view the match. About the Black Forest.... Just walk through town, past the cathedral, and up into the hills. There is a very nice trail system that branches off into many directions. It looked like the Black Forest to me. Simple and free.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are nice but the elevators are slow.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jayne S

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked this hotel in November 2013 for a group trip in June 2014. I paid a higher rate in order to be able to cancel or modify room choice up until 6pm on the day of our stay. 5 days before arrival I e-mailed the hotel in order to change one room from a twin to a single. On arrival I explained this to staff who said I would have to pay the full room rate for a twin. They point blank refused to check for my e-mail and when I asked to speak to the duty manager, who's name was on a plaque on the wall, I was informed none was on duty nor would they be on duty the next day. What in a hotel this size? I don't think so! The young lady serving me didn't realise I was staying three nights so was a bit surprised when I asked if there would be a duty manager on within the next three days. I spoke to the duty manager next day who confirmed that there had been one on the previous day and whilst surprised that staff would say there wasn't she took no further action on the matter. When informed of the e-mail she simply said I was in a twin so should expect to pay the full price. At my insistence she said she would check for my e-mail but that was the last I heard on the matter. So, staff who blatantly lie and 325 euros for three nights, not my idea of good quality or good service. To make matters worse you have to pay at reception to get out of the car park and have to join the end of a queue of people checking in which took 30 minutes. Teutonic efficiency at its best!!
I am a frequent visitor to Freiburg but neither me, the other 20 people from my party or any of their friends or relatives will ever use this hotel again.
P.s. The two nights previous to this stay I stayed in another hotel of the Accor group in Speyer who did reduce the room rate despite me still being in a twin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fraser27
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel in Freiburg. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Novotel Freiburg, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

New Delhi, Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here with our family. It turned out to be a good choice in terms of location. We wanted to make freiburg as our base for visiting black forest area

The temperature was really high in June. and as AC is not there . Hotel was kind enough to provide us with fans which worked nicely at night . Rooms are huge and clean. Hotel staff is very friendly

Wifi is better in the lobby than the rooms.

Location wise it is at perfect place. just walking distance from main station and central market.

Just make sure you know about their breakfast deal. I misread that breakfast was not complimentary. The breakfast is however not worth paying for.. not many options and soread is not that great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Earth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

great location. Just outside the station. Connected with all parts of the black forest. However considering that its a tourist spot, the staff had no clue on connections or going around the place. It was very difficult to get any information from them.

Rooms are good. Very clean. Breakfast spread is nice.

Room Tip: Do your preparations on black forest. Do not depend on the staff.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We will review the knowledge about the area with our receptionists. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Pretty good, interiors look a little dated but are perfectly clean and functional. Quiet, even though about 50m from the railway. Had a small debate with reception around whether the rooms had air-conditioning or not: apparently not, but there was a non-working control box in the room and signs asking me to keep the window closed to make the cooling more effective, so I remained confused. Either way, the room was somewhat hot. Breakfast fine, nothing remarkable but had a reasonable evening meal in the bar area (highlight: garlic soup). Check-out took a couple of attempts and so I almost missed my train: I paid the right amount, but the system wasn't really up to spitting out invoices so I took a rain check on that one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5383Novotel, Front Office Manager at Novotel Freiburg, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear guest,
thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our Novotel in Freiburg.
We do have a centralized air cooling system which is only working with the window closed.
Regarding the check out, we do apology for the delay. For the future time, we would like to recommend the check out the evening before you actually depart.
Thank you once again for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We would be glad to welcome you back in future.
Kind regards