“Nice hotel, bad reception staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg

Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg
Moscow, Russia
“Nice hotel, bad reception staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Hotel is well situated in the forest.
The rooms are nice, clean and modern, though there are no bathrobes, and no balcony.
The spa complex is nice, but there is an entry fee which you have to pay every time again.
The breakfast was nice, the dinner not really excellent, but ok.

But the service was really bad, the problem that I had there ruined all my good impressions.

There was a very unpleasant situation with the hotel staff and taxi when I was leaving.
My bill was fully paid with my credit card, and there were no claims from the hotel when I left. But 30 minutes after my departure the hotel blocked the amount of 100 euro on my credit card. After that one more 100 euro amount was blocked by a company unknown to me! When I complained, the manager of the hotel, Joerg [--], said that I allegedly ordered a taxi to Frankfurt and this was the annulation fee. I asked about the taxi price a day before, but I didn't make an order! However, the hotel taxi was waiting for me in the hall next morning. I explained that I did not confirm any order nor to the taxi driver neither to the hotel, but the taxi driver was very angry and shouted at everyone. And after I left, they blocked the total amount of 200 euro on my credit card! The hotel gave my credit card information to this partner taxi company, which was completely illegitimate and unauthorized.
Later the hotel returned the amount of 100 euro that they blocked, but their partner taxi company didn't. So I had to block my card and to involve my bank into the problem.
When I wrote about this situation to the hotel headquarters, they didn't even answer.
I am really unhappy about this situation, and I'm surprized with such "mafia" policy of the hotel. I didn't expect such lack of respect to their guests and to confidentiality of credit card information in Germany.

I advise to everyone NOT to book the taxi provided by the hotel, and to be very careful with credit card data that you provide to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lada Z
dorintfreiburg, Manager at Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you very much for your constructive critique.
To clarify first: Our headquarter informed us about your complaint and we answered immediatly.
Second: The driver's booking was confirmed and there is a witness.
In case of no show there is a cancellation fee of what you were informed. Your son translated to you.
We as management regret that you never gave us the chance to speak personally and instead put the story false to the internet.
Please accept our appologies for the unfriendly behavour towards you. Our guests are the most important to us and we try to satisfy every desire at the best. We never wanted to displease you and if there is anything we can do for you, please contact us anytime.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Hotel is situated in pretty woodlands and, half way between (and well connected to) Freiburg and Bad Krozingen. It is very quiet (construction is over), and connected by an underground passage to a large Spa, and so they rightfully promote a ‘health theme’. This includes the offer to have ‘Samina’ system beds, and while the 5 EUR per night may not necessarily mean that you like you bed much better, you will find that you get one of the most quiet rooms of the house, which I think is a great bonus.

THE star of the show, though, is their newly (so far only soft-)opened restaurant Pirol. What they serve truly is amazing food, worth a detour (which in Michelin-guide categories would be a starred establishment). Great attention to detail, imaginative dishes with exciting flavour combinations, and three-to-ten-course ‘compose as you wish’ dinner option that, given that it is truly gourmet food, is unbelievably good value (so go soon – they surely must increase their prices once in full swing). If you treat yourself to dinner there, note that the wines they suggest to go with the individual plates are quite significantly better than what is on offer in the by-the-glass section of the wine list. The only thing they could (and Dorint should) improve is to invest in a proper espresso maker.

Room Tip: Book 'Samina Power Slep' (yes, silly name) for 5 EUR and get a REALLY quite room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pete K
brazil
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Dorint for 3 nights. Although the location is quite nice, and the hotel looks new, the service is very bad, there was no air conditioning (i called the reception to complain that the room was very hot and they told me to open the window as there was no air conditioning!!), restaurant is poorly served (it took one hour to get our order at dinner, and only few people were eating at that time) - when we called the waItress to ask what was going on, the answer we got was "all the people at the kitchen are working, nobody is relaxed doing nothing"!!! People at the reception were not nice at all. The mattress was really bad - we can expect at least a reasonable one at this level, but it was a foam mattress that even in bad hotels you can find better ones.
Although i was in a double room with my wife, there was only one towel. When i ordered a 2nd one, i was informed that housekeeping was not working anymore. But there were some pool towels available at the reception, and that's what we got.
And before I forget, the free wi fi connection is so slow that i barely could download my daily newspaper at the ipad.
In summary: i will never return to this place!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zampra
dorintfreiburg, Leiter Front Office at Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Mr. or Mrs. Zampra,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience. Of course we have Suites with air condition. As well we had the possibility to put a fan in your room. Because we have given you a last minute upgrade without a charge we were not able to prepare the room for two persons. Please apologize.
Please be assured, that we have brand new mattresses. We never had inferior foam mattresses. At your next stay I would offer you one of our power sleeping rooms. They are equipped with the official SAMINA power sleeping system.
During your stay we were sold out and had different meeting in our house. That’s the reason, that the internet connection was meanwhile very slow.

Best regards,

Dorint Resort Freiburg an den Thermen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is located in a very quiet wood just 10 minutes by car from city center (you need a car to go there).

Thanks to the renovation the hotel is now more modern and beautiful.

Our room was not very big but there was everything we expected in a 4 star hotel. The only thing we disliked was the mold in the shower.

Good is the simple connection to the public spa where you have a reduction when you are a hotel guest. The outdoor spa is very big and clean.

Reception staff is helpfull but not very motivated (we missed the smile). Same for staff at restaurant. The food was very good and of great quality.

We recommend this hotel and we will come back for a short "time out"...

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michi4123
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

So this is a nice, fairly expensive, hotel that is connected by an underground tunnel to the spa next door. The cost to enter the spa is extra, so keep that in mind. The hotel lobby itself is very well appointed, the bar and dining areas as well. Unfortunately our room was down a hallway that opened directly into the lobby. I think it would have been more private to close those doors, to keep the sound out and prevent people watching us enter/exit our room. There are elevators, but warning, they are fairly slow...forces you to slow down! The room was very nicely decorated, as was the bathroom. The bathroom was well lit, had a full shower/tub combination and good water pressure. The bed was European firm, and the comforter was futon-like (heavy). The room had a "balcony" but it was only for standing, maybe 1 foot square? The room was warm, but we couldn't find a temperature control, so assumed it was centrally managed. Breakfast has a great selection of breads, fresh sliced fruits, dried fruits, jams, sliced meats/veggies/cheeses, juices, sekt/champagne, bacon, sausages, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs and an omelet station...tho the gentleman got my egg order incorrect but insisted it was correct. Dinner was a different story. The night we tried dinner, it was a buffet. Frankly it was terrible. The rice was dried/hard, the meats were bland/cold and the veggies were so overdone as to be mushy. The wine was overpriced and just okay. Cost was nearly 50euro. We were so disappointed we refused to go back to eat the next night. The hotel is about a 15 minutes drive away from Freiberg's downtown area, but you can also catch the bus/tram (takes anywhere from 40min to 1 hr). All in all it was a very nice hotel, but...I think if we were to come back to Freiberg, we would stay elsewhere and just drive to visit the spa.

Room Tip: Further away from the lobby if possible...just for privacy sake.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights in October. In truth, we have mixed feelings about this place. In some ways it is a really fantastic hotel - in other ways it is pretty 'average'. For £150 a night, we expect 'fantastic'... and not 'average'!

So what are the hotel's good points? Well, firstly, it is in a lovely location and very near to the amazing Keidel thermal spa which is literally next door. Hotel guests can access the thermal baths via an underground tunnel which takes you straight into the middle of the swimming complex. Fantastic!

The hotel also has one of the nicest bars you will find anywhere. It has a ski lodge feel to it - it's a great place to have a relaxing beer with friends in the evening.

Breakfast is also very good indeed with a great selection. There is even a chef station where you can order all sorts of omelette and egg dishes.

There is also a huge gym which is equipped to help people with chronic conditions - the gym is excellent for all types of user.

The hotel as a whole is spotlessly clean and very well presented. The staff are excellent too.

So what about the not so good points?

Firstly, for £150 a night, we have come to expect a lot more from a hotel. Although well equipped, our room was small and fairly cramped.

Parking at the hotel is a problem. The small indoor parking complex cannot cope with demand and all the outside spaces are usually snapped up by people visiting the spa for the day.

AND then there are the unexpected charges! Marked as a spa hotel (it even has Thermen within its title), we thought that entrance to the spa complex was included in the price. Not so!

Although I concede this is mentioned on the hotel's website (we missed it), the charges are not actually very high - only 16 Euros per person (19 usually) and you get a towel and robe included in the price. So, this is not a major problem but unexpected nonetheless.

AND then there are the extra charges for breakfast and local taxes.

In summary, this is an excellent hotel but expensive for what it is.

The hotel has a lovely bar, restaurant and breakfast area - very cool design and a great

Room Tip: Don't stay on the top floor because the roof-line of the hotel limits standing room if you are t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dorintfreiburg, Leiter Front Office at Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Captain H UK,

Thank you very much for your constructive and inspiring criticism. We highly appreciate external opinions that help us developing our products and services. Your statement concerning the thermal bath is understandable and we will gladly hand it further to the management of the Keidel Bad, which sets all conditions. Unfortunately we cannot influence this in any way because it is a public bath and the management is subjected to the city of Freiburg.

Furthermore we would like to apologize for misunderstanding about our hotel name and the thermal bath prices. Like mentioned on the web page we are the hotel next to the bath and therefore offer a discount price for all our guests. We will try and communicate this even clearer.
Concerning the rooms we have to say that space and equipment in our rooms are clearly stated on all website. For people who like some more space and comfort we offer two higher room categories with more space for a small extra charge of 10,00 € per night and category upgrade. We are very sorry that the colleague who checked you in forgot to inform you that we have a spacious and free-of-charge garage for our guests. We send our greatest apologies for this omission. The taxes that you found listed on the bill are not extra but the total bill split and listed by departments in order to facilitate taxation and administration processes for business guests. We are sorry to have confused you with this.

Hoping that you give us the chance to fulfil your expectations during your next stay we wish you a joyful Christmas time and all the best from your Health Resort in Freiburg.
Best wishes,

Your Dorint Team
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Our stay at the Dorint Resort was outstanding in every way. The rooms are spacious, beautiful and comfortable. The large bathrooms have big walk-in showers. The restaurant serves excellent dinners at very reasonable prices. We all got the small portions and they were very generous. For breakfast, we got the "Business breakfast", which was much cheaper than the full buffet and still included a lot of items from the buffet.

The staff speak very good English and were always friendly and helpful.

The spa part of the resort has numerous pools, whirlpools and saunas. The hotel is surrounded by a beautiful forest with many wide walking trails. Parking is free. There is an orthopedic clinic on the same grounds and the patients also use the spa. We found this to be no problem at all. This hotel is highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends