“Rooms are very hot in the summer”

Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg
Houston
“Rooms are very hot in the summer”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hotel is located on the outskirts of Freiburg next door to a health spa and thermal bath and close to an orthopedic clinic. You will need a car to get into the main attractions of Freiburg, which are at least 8 km away. My room was in a more recently constructed part of the hotel, and was spacious and clean. However the sheets were rough (very low thread count), and the pillow was a big fluffy feather pillow but not very comfortable for most people I suspect. Mattresses were quite firm. Bathrooms were clean but towels were not very soft or large. There is no air conditioning in this hotel, so if you are staying in the summer, keep this in the mind. My room was literally 35 degrees by late afternoon each of the four nights after days that reached 30 degrees outside, and opening the windows did not get the room back to a comfortable temperature until about 5 AM. This was a bit of a hot spell for this part of the world, but it can happen in summer. There was free but slowish WiFi. Breakfast is quite decent, and there is good hiking trail through the forest immediately behind the hotel. Service for dinner is very slow and the food is not very good. I would have slept well but for temperature because it was very quiet. My experience is that this is what you get for many so-called 4-star hotels in this part of Europe, but I would suggest that it falls short of the standard of 4-star hotels I have stayed at in Japan, China, Korea, and North America.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Houstonscientist
dorintfreiburg, Manager at Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank your very much for staying with us and commenting on the days you spent with us.
As you explained corretly the hotel is situated on the border of Freiburg within a conservation area approximatly 6 km away from the inner city. If you choose to visit the town by car it takes you 15 minutes, however, as Freiburg is a very ecological town the network of public transport is well developed and recommendable. The tram needs 20 minutes and takes you directly to all the main attractions.
Please appoligize that our bedding did not meet your expecations. As noted in the information guide on all our rooms we have a great variety of pillows from which our guests may choose. It would have been a pleasure to offer you an alternative.
Furthermore we do have so called "Power Sleeping Room" with special mattrasses and wonderful bedding to guarantee the optimal sleep.
We are very sorry that you suffered from uncomfortable temperatures in your room. Due to health reasons only (all) our public ares, restaurants and meeting facilities do have air condition. The room that you stayed in has moveable wooden blinds that work nicely to keep the heat outside and are better for health and well-beeing. Please appoligize that our housekeeping did not instruct you how they work.

Furthermore we regret that none of our restaurants, not the regional nor our fine dining restaurant or the bar met your taste. However, thank you for the feed back.

We are classified as a 4 star hotel according to German standards by local authorities and the DEHOGA. We do agree that Asia and some areas in North America have different standards based on different environmental and human resources. We will continue to do our utmost to deliver the best service we can.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Hebrew first
Hagen, Germany
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Such a lovely hotel in such a perfect location with an absolutely great thermal bath.....but with such bad staff and service. Hotel is very nicely located in the quiet forest 7 km outside of Freiburg and has themal baths and sauna at the location.
The room we had was not huge but modern, very nice and clean.
The service at check-in was terrible, (we could not get a second key card for the room, because "the guests take the cards with them when they leave" was the receptionist answer!!! The restaurant staff are all under education it seems like and are totally unflexible when it comes to a small question as having a salad in the cafe/bar, "we only serve what is on the card" was the answer. A price of €17.50 for breakfast is too much, the buffet was although very nice, but I still freel the price is to high. The restaurent area seems to small for the hotel, and even at breakfast we were asked if we booked a table (for 2 people, that should not be necessary), well we had our breakfast, even without booked table. The hotel is really nice, but with the service level and price level, I am sorry we don't come back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JannReneH
dorintfreiburg, Manager at Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you very much for your comments on your stay in Freiburg.
We regret that our restaurant did not please you and the service was not on the level you require it to be. It is really a pity that you did not give us the chance to speak personally, rather put your emotions to the internet where we now want to take a stand.
Our hotel trains approximately 20 apprenticies on which we are pround on. A percentage of them works in our restaurants and at the reception. Please appoligize that some might have served you inappropriate.
Asking for your name in the breakfast room has statistical reasons and only helps to check how many guests still need to come, hence how many bread rolls need to be ordered or how much fresh fruits need to be sliced.
The breakfast price is below average. Many hotels in our surrounding charge 20 EUR and more. We serve you coffee specialities, fresh fruit juices, sprakling wine unlimited; a great variaty of cheese and sausage, fresh eggs done by a professional cook and much more.
Finally please accept our appoligies for not having enough key cards at the reception. It is a hardware that is often taken home and our receptionist did not want to displease you by explaining that to you.
Thank you for the positive impressions on the hotel itself and the room you were given. Housekeeping was very happy that you enjoyed your stay there.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Hotel is well situated in the forest.
The rooms are nice, clean and modern, though there are no bathrobes, and no balcony.
The spa complex is nice, but there is an entry fee which you have to pay every time again.
The breakfast was nice, the dinner not really excellent, but ok.

But the service was really bad, the problem that I had there ruined all my good impressions.

There was a very unpleasant situation with the hotel staff and taxi when I was leaving.
My bill was fully paid with my credit card, and there were no claims from the hotel when I left. But 30 minutes after my departure the hotel blocked the amount of 100 euro on my credit card. After that one more 100 euro amount was blocked by a company unknown to me! When I complained, the manager of the hotel, Joerg [--], said that I allegedly ordered a taxi to Frankfurt and this was the annulation fee. I asked about the taxi price a day before, but I didn't make an order! However, the hotel taxi was waiting for me in the hall next morning. I explained that I did not confirm any order nor to the taxi driver neither to the hotel, but the taxi driver was very angry and shouted at everyone. And after I left, they blocked the total amount of 200 euro on my credit card! The hotel gave my credit card information to this partner taxi company, which was completely illegitimate and unauthorized.
Later the hotel returned the amount of 100 euro that they blocked, but their partner taxi company didn't. So I had to block my card and to involve my bank into the problem.
When I wrote about this situation to the hotel headquarters, they didn't even answer.
I am really unhappy about this situation, and I'm surprized with such "mafia" policy of the hotel. I didn't expect such lack of respect to their guests and to confidentiality of credit card information in Germany.

I advise to everyone NOT to book the taxi provided by the hotel, and to be very careful with credit card data that you provide to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lada Z
dorintfreiburg, Manager at Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you very much for your constructive critique.
To clarify first: Our headquarter informed us about your complaint and we answered immediatly.
Second: The driver's booking was confirmed and there is a witness.
In case of no show there is a cancellation fee of what you were informed. Your son translated to you.
We as management regret that you never gave us the chance to speak personally and instead put the story false to the internet.
Please accept our appologies for the unfriendly behavour towards you. Our guests are the most important to us and we try to satisfy every desire at the best. We never wanted to displease you and if there is anything we can do for you, please contact us anytime.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Hotel is situated in pretty woodlands and, half way between (and well connected to) Freiburg and Bad Krozingen. It is very quiet (construction is over), and connected by an underground passage to a large Spa, and so they rightfully promote a ‘health theme’. This includes the offer to have ‘Samina’ system beds, and while the 5 EUR per night may not necessarily mean that you like you bed much better, you will find that you get one of the most quiet rooms of the house, which I think is a great bonus.

THE star of the show, though, is their newly (so far only soft-)opened restaurant Pirol. What they serve truly is amazing food, worth a detour (which in Michelin-guide categories would be a starred establishment). Great attention to detail, imaginative dishes with exciting flavour combinations, and three-to-ten-course ‘compose as you wish’ dinner option that, given that it is truly gourmet food, is unbelievably good value (so go soon – they surely must increase their prices once in full swing). If you treat yourself to dinner there, note that the wines they suggest to go with the individual plates are quite significantly better than what is on offer in the by-the-glass section of the wine list. The only thing they could (and Dorint should) improve is to invest in a proper espresso maker.

Room Tip: Book 'Samina Power Slep' (yes, silly name) for 5 EUR and get a REALLY quite room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pete K
brazil
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Dorint for 3 nights. Although the location is quite nice, and the hotel looks new, the service is very bad, there was no air conditioning (i called the reception to complain that the room was very hot and they told me to open the window as there was no air conditioning!!), restaurant is poorly served (it took one hour to get our order at dinner, and only few people were eating at that time) - when we called the waItress to ask what was going on, the answer we got was "all the people at the kitchen are working, nobody is relaxed doing nothing"!!! People at the reception were not nice at all. The mattress was really bad - we can expect at least a reasonable one at this level, but it was a foam mattress that even in bad hotels you can find better ones.
Although i was in a double room with my wife, there was only one towel. When i ordered a 2nd one, i was informed that housekeeping was not working anymore. But there were some pool towels available at the reception, and that's what we got.
And before I forget, the free wi fi connection is so slow that i barely could download my daily newspaper at the ipad.
In summary: i will never return to this place!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zampra
dorintfreiburg, Leiter Front Office at Dorint Resort An den Thermen Freiburg, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Mr. or Mrs. Zampra,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience. Of course we have Suites with air condition. As well we had the possibility to put a fan in your room. Because we have given you a last minute upgrade without a charge we were not able to prepare the room for two persons. Please apologize.
Please be assured, that we have brand new mattresses. We never had inferior foam mattresses. At your next stay I would offer you one of our power sleeping rooms. They are equipped with the official SAMINA power sleeping system.
During your stay we were sold out and had different meeting in our house. That’s the reason, that the internet connection was meanwhile very slow.

Best regards,

Dorint Resort Freiburg an den Thermen
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is located in a very quiet wood just 10 minutes by car from city center (you need a car to go there).

Thanks to the renovation the hotel is now more modern and beautiful.

Our room was not very big but there was everything we expected in a 4 star hotel. The only thing we disliked was the mold in the shower.

Good is the simple connection to the public spa where you have a reduction when you are a hotel guest. The outdoor spa is very big and clean.

Reception staff is helpfull but not very motivated (we missed the smile). Same for staff at restaurant. The food was very good and of great quality.

We recommend this hotel and we will come back for a short "time out"...

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michi4123
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 29 December 2013

So this is a nice, fairly expensive, hotel that is connected by an underground tunnel to the spa next door. The cost to enter the spa is extra, so keep that in mind. The hotel lobby itself is very well appointed, the bar and dining areas as well. Unfortunately our room was down a hallway that opened directly into the lobby. I think it would have been more private to close those doors, to keep the sound out and prevent people watching us enter/exit our room. There are elevators, but warning, they are fairly slow...forces you to slow down! The room was very nicely decorated, as was the bathroom. The bathroom was well lit, had a full shower/tub combination and good water pressure. The bed was European firm, and the comforter was futon-like (heavy). The room had a "balcony" but it was only for standing, maybe 1 foot square? The room was warm, but we couldn't find a temperature control, so assumed it was centrally managed. Breakfast has a great selection of breads, fresh sliced fruits, dried fruits, jams, sliced meats/veggies/cheeses, juices, sekt/champagne, bacon, sausages, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs and an omelet station...tho the gentleman got my egg order incorrect but insisted it was correct. Dinner was a different story. The night we tried dinner, it was a buffet. Frankly it was terrible. The rice was dried/hard, the meats were bland/cold and the veggies were so overdone as to be mushy. The wine was overpriced and just okay. Cost was nearly 50euro. We were so disappointed we refused to go back to eat the next night. The hotel is about a 15 minutes drive away from Freiberg's downtown area, but you can also catch the bus/tram (takes anywhere from 40min to 1 hr). All in all it was a very nice hotel, but...I think if we were to come back to Freiberg, we would stay elsewhere and just drive to visit the spa.

Room Tip: Further away from the lobby if possible...just for privacy sake.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple