“Ladies and Gentlemen stay away from this hotel! We were evicted for the first time in our live! Pease read till the end!”

Hotel Langenwaldsee
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Freudenstadt
Reviewed 25 July 2014

It was my worst travel experience in my entire life! I spend a lot of time traveling for both business and pleasure, but I have never been
treated so disrespectfully in my entire life like in this hotel! I have never felt more humiliated than here! The place is grossly out of date; the carpet smells badly both in the room and on the balcony. The matrasses on the beds are old, but this is not the end of the story. We made our reservation 6 month in advance for three nights. We came around 6-7pm, tired, driving all day long and asked a salad platter (nothing else was available for the room service) from the restaurant, and even that was never delivered. I asked a receptionist about an Internet service and I was provided with the very complicated Wi-Fi code. However there was no connection in the rooms, only in the lobby. I went to the receptionist again, he was very surprised about lack of connection and suggested I to talk to the receptionist in the morning. This is very unusual for the 4 Star hotel in Germany.
Next morning I went to a receptionist asking to fix the problem with the connectivity. He responded even before I finished a sentence: “Nothing I can do for you, I am not the electrician!” He repeated it several times. I simply replied that such rudeness was highly unusual for the hotel in Germany and that I would, probably, leave my comments on the Trip Advisor or Booking, and than I asked to speak to the owner of the hotel. His first response was that the owner was out of the hotel, but than he changed his mind and called the owner. They did not know that I was fluent in German and they spoke very disrespectfully about me behind my back. The clerk told the owner that I was threatening him with the review about the hotel service and it was time gets rid of me.
Mr. Kaltenbach (the owner) turned around and said that I had one hour to leave, otherwise he would call police.
Sure enough, five minutes later a service lady knocked in our room with a question can she start cleaning? And finally, when I went to the receptionist to pay for the hotel, same clerk was trying to cheat on me, charging 75 Euros more, over the price the hotel quoted me and confirmed via email for both rooms. I unpacked my luggage; pull out the printout of the email confirmation, that hotel emailed me and only after that he agreed on the price.
Lovely experience!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank YUBRICK
Langenwaldsee, Praktikant at Hotel Langenwaldsee, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

Dear Yubrick,

I apologize in forward for my english quality!

It is sad to hear that the place did not fulfill your wishes..
You have to know that keeping the rooms in an old style was a decision of us, because many people like it. It gives something authentic and comfortable! And we rarely hear that it smell bad, but when we do we find a solution by changing the rooms or calling the cleaning staff.
But we also do have new rooms, which are more up-to-date, and that could complete your wishes.

Concerning the meal, normally you can order till 8.30 PM (most clients are eating at this time), so if we were out of food it is an isolated case and we apologize again for this... But it never happened that we were out of food!

For the internet connection it happened sometimes that it do not work.. Mostly we find a solution to repair it. We bought our own internet cable so that the internet availability has grown. Unfortunately it still happens that there is a lack of connection, and it is true that we have to wait for the electrician if we can not fix it ourselves..

And finally concerning the way we treated you we have no excuses about it, and again we apologize for this. We speak regularely with our staff and theach them complain-management.

We hope you will have a good day
Kind regards

Your Kaltenbach Family!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This place is out of date, including the rude service received when asking for the internet code at the front desk. The duty officer would only give 1 code for 1 device and asked me if I have was crazy when I told him we carry 4 and would appreciate more. When I told him I took offense, there was a shrug rather than an apology. This is not how you treat your guests, let alone when you charge them Europe 175 per room. Anyway, no dinner here tonight.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank PaulBeijer
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We recently spend a weekend here with a group of aircooled Porsche fans..
The hotel, a bit worn on the edges(but charming) lies in the middle of a complete oasis away from any worldly noices. Reception is courteous and above all friendly. We enjoyed a room with terrace and view to the "lake", unfortunately the weather didn'y permit us to make much use of it..
We bought in "Halb Pension"(including a main meal) and very much enjoyed at a rather reasonable price. The hotel also a wellness facility(even a pool I think), which unfortunately we didn't use, as we were on tight schedule to get to know a bit of the Black Forest nearby.
Definitely recommendable, although not your most "economic" as far as the rooms are concerned.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Biancofreddo
Reviewed 25 August 2012 via mobile

This hotel has the most beautiful setting directly on a picturesque lake amidst the black forest. Walking paths lead gently up to the mountain top. The city center is within easy reach by car. The hotel has a spa and indoor pool. The rooms are good-sized and well appointed with personal touches throughout. Rooms facing the lake are very quiet,  have balconies and are inviting to relax. Rooms facing the parking lot and street are a bit less quiet but have balconies as well. The breakfast buffet is wonderful and offers a very large variety of cheeses, meats, smoked fishes, breads, eggs, fresh fruits, yogurts, cereals, and much more. Delicious lunch and dinner menu is offered as well as home-baked cakes. Outside dining on a terrace overlooking the lake or inside dining are available. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Worth to know is that the hotel does not have an elevator and although there are not a ton of stairs there are a few. The rooms are also not air-conditioned. We thoroughly enjoyedThis hotel has the most beautiful setting directly on a picturesque lake amidst the black forest. Walking paths lead gently up to the mountain top. The city center is within easy reach by car. The hotel has a spa and indoor pool. The rooms are good-sized and well appointed with personal touches throughout. Rooms facing the lake are very quiet,  have balconies and are inviting to relax. Rooms facing the parking lot and street are a bit less quiet but have balconies as well. The breakfast buffet is wonderful and offers a very large variety of cheeses, meats, smoked fishes, breads, eggs, fresh fruits, yogurts, cereals, and much more. Delicious lunch and dinner menu is offered as well as home-baked cakes. Outside sitting on a terrace overlooking the lake or inside dining are available. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Worth to know is that the hotel does not have an elevator and although there are not a ton of stairs there are a few. The rooms are not air-conditioned. We thoroughly enjoyed staying here and would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Mianne109
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We were lucky to stop over and check whether they had vacancy. A beautiful place! Very good location near by Freudenstadt at the Black Forest. The rooms are classic and spacious. A beautiful small lake just behind the property. The breakfast restaurant is overlooking the lake with its ducks and swans. Breakfast was generous and offered a remarkable choice of gourmet cheese, cold cuts, jams fruits, and various bakery items. The best yet was the restaurant for dinner which offered classic dishes along with hunting ones. A great experience!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Have overnighted at this hotel many times and had such a wonderful welcome that stayed for a week this time.Owners and staff very friendly and helpful, rooms spacious and comfortable. Excellent restaurant, beautiful setting and good spa with a lovely pool. Nicely situated for exploring the region. Great forest walks right on your doorstep with easy access to the town by foot, public transport or car. Dog friendly.

A truely great place to stay for anyone wishing to visit the Black Forest region.

Room Tip: All rooms we have had have been to a good standard but I particularly like the ones overlooking the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My wife & I were walking the Red Deer Trail (very well organised in UK by Russell Hafter Holidays). We stayed at Langenwaldsee at the beginning and end of the walk with two further nights at the end – total of 4 nights.
Very difficult to say which of the 6 hotels we stayed in was our “favourite” since they were all different in character and our experiences. However what can be said is that they were ALL of a very high quality and thoroughly enjoyable.
Langenwaldsee main positives for us were the beautiful location beside an idyllic lake with swans and ducks. A Roman/Greco themed Spa area with a lovely pool, tranquil quiet room and blissfully peaceful decking area onto the lake.
We experienced two different rooms (one at start of walk and other when we arrived back for three nights). First one was older in style but spacious, clean and with shared balcony looking over front of hotel and road into Freudenstadt. This road was reasonably quiet and was not a problem. Second room that we got was outstanding! We had a suite of sitting room, bedroom and two bathrooms at back of hotel overlooking lake with a private balcony. Modern in décor and extremely pleasant end to holiday.
3 restaurants (could eat outside as well).
1 was breakfast room (might have been evening restaurant as well when busier???) with lovely view over the lake. Breakfast was excellent choice of meats, breads, cereals, nuts, fruit, etc.
Other two restaurants were equally as attractive and also had view over lake but was restricted view in some places. Dinner was very good although this is where the only criticism comes in and it may be more of a cultural thing because we noticed this in a number of the hotels we were at. We found food was over salted for our palates. Apart from that food was great, even had a smaller English menu (but if you just took that you missed on some of the other good German dishes – thanks to Christophe for translating!!). Wine list provided some cracking wines. I am a convert to some Alde Gott reds!
Thanks as well to all the staff but especially to Peter and his nephew Christophe for warm welcome and continued help.
Summary – no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Wonderful time had!

Room Tip: Back of hotel overloking lake
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TomatSouthpark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freudenstadt
Hotel Gruner Wald
#14 of 25 in Freudenstadt
Waldblick Hotel Kniebis
Waldblick Hotel Kniebis
#8 of 25 in Freudenstadt

Been to Hotel Langenwaldsee? Share your experiences!