“Flammkuchen with dates ... omg”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dorfschaenke

Dorfschaenke
Ranked #202 of 480 Restaurants in Heidelberg
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Paris
“Flammkuchen with dates ... omg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I am an annoying vegetarian companion of normal people. And, well, this place is perfect for those of us who want to get something really German without necessarily being condemned to those usual pasta with cheese in industrial quantities.

I had Flammkuchen mit Kürbis, Datteln im Speckmantel, Tomaten und Gorgonzola (I asked them not to add the "Speckmantel") and it was brilliant. I think that they added some drugs to it, since I feel I have to come back quickly. Amazing, really.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Cartesius

Vancouver
“A real find.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

With four days in a Heidelberg, our first job was to get away from the crush of tourists and search out a restaurant with a chef that can really cook. This was the perfect spot. Off the beaten track in a nice residential area. Menu in German with a fresh chalkboard. Helpful servers happy to translate. We shared a delicious crostini, then enjoyed roast pork with a vanilla, thyme and lavender sauce, accompanied by sauerkraut and roast potatoes. Absolutely delicious. All the food looked good-- quite different from the rather dreary offerings in the busy city centre. Definitely worth seeking out if you are tired of standard German cuisine.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Vickio
Munich, Germany
“Nice place and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Finally this restaurant is open also at lunch in the week-ends, therefore (after a few visits with my colleagues, in the last years) I went there with my family. The rooms are cosy and the choice of food rather wide. I had a Rumpsteak and it was delicious; the onions were forgotten, but actually I realised it only at the end of my meal ;-) Even without my complaint, the waiter noticed it, too, and insisted for offering me an espresso. Going there with a small child and a stroller was no problem, because at lunch the restaurant was not too full.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Luigi_sr
London, United Kingdom
“Away from the crowds.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

We visited Heidelberg for 2 days and were lucky enough to find this restaurant. After spending most of our time in the old village and Christmas markets, we were looking for something off the beaten path and devoid of tourists. Dorfshanke was exactly what we wanted.

The menu is completely handwritten, which made my lack of German even more challenging, but we settled on 2 of the specials. My husband ordered ratatouille and I selected something with pork, tomato and cheese. Both were amazing.

They must cook the potatoes with bacon grease; so delicious. My pork sat in a tomato sauce and had goat cheese on top. The salad was fresh and light. My husband's dinner was a leg of lamb that fell off the bone with the best vegetable ratatouille I've ever had.

More food than we could eat and 2 glasses of wine for $38.50. Wish we had time to go back!

1 Thank Kristen G
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Great times and great meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

If you are in Heidelberg for a visit or to live this is a must go restaurant. Food is always top notch, servig are a bit big but so is the experience. Mostly German dishes but always some excellent specials the lambshank is five star quality. Great atmosphere - like being in an old style German town and going for dinner.

Visited September 2012