“Perfect in December!”
Review of Exzellenz Hotel

Exzellenz Hotel
Ranked #19 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a very nice hotel, especially if you want to spend time in the room as they are large & spacious. The bathroom is nice & clean & they have very nice toiletry products, although no conditioner for those with tangles! Our room looked just like the picture. There was very little noise from the street (although you can hear street noise, I didn't need earplugs) and we stayed at a non-busy time, so little noise from the hall…though there could be if it were busy.

December is fine, rooms are warm. (sounds like from other reviews summer is NOT good, though!)

Staff is very helpful, breakfast is good, though a selection of cut up fresh fruit would be a nice addition. Scrambled eggs were like a brick the first morning, but perfect the next. Some bacon or sausage would be a nice addition as well.

Good location near Bismarkplatz on the side of the city opposite the castle, easy walking if you plan to walk the whole city anyway. Nearby Da Vinci restaurant was fantastic as well.

We stayed in the part with no elevator…beware to those with lots of luggage or difficulty with stairs! Noise from the hall could be a problem in crowded times, fortunately it was uncrowded when we were there. Our radiator did 'scream' for a while one night & we couldn't figure out how to fix it! Milk for chocolate at breakfast was not very hot.

Room Tip: Our room literally looked like the picture! Ask for the newly remodeled rooms & one far away fr...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LookingForFamilyFun

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Book the Comfort Studio, because those are remodeled and are good value for the money. (A modern room at a low price.) However, be aware that the description on bookingcom is not accurate – if you are travelling alone you will get a much smaller room without a double bed. The comfort studio has a newly remodeled bathroom, a kitchenette, and nice clean wooden floors. There is enough space for me to do yoga, which I really appreciated. Most TV channels are in German, except 2 news channels in English. Internet is free and fast enough for streaming videos, but drops a lot (every 30 minutes). Excellenz has a small elevator, but you do need to go up 5 stairs, so if you’re handicapped this may be a problem. No AC, but in early September, this was not a problem.

Hotel is loud. Loud as in I can hear next door neighbors, people stomping above me, and buses and cars when they go by. This is normal everyday noise that should be insulated, but isn’t. If you’re a light sleeper, try to get a room that is facing away from the main street.
Location is close to main streets but not very close (10-15 min from main attractions). If you’re coming from Frankfurt airport, I recommend you take the airport shuttle. It leaves every hour, cheaper and easier than the train, and closer to the hotel (just a 3 min walk). I got lost coming from the railway station, because it was dark and I couldn’t see signs and locals don’t know the names of the street. Better if you have a GPS or come during the day. Google maps don’t list Germany buses for some reason. Location is 10 minute walk from one end of the popular street in Altstadt. l, all my favorite restaurants were at the other end of Altstadt, which meant a 25 minute walk each way to eat. You can take a van from Frankfurt Airport to Crowne Plaza hotel (only 3 minute walk), which leaves every hour. Also, you can rent a smartcar for 10 euros. Both the airport transport and rental car would have been good to know before my trip.
I’m knocking a star because of service. Service is honest but they do not try to go out of their way to make you happy (with the exception of one of the night staff, who was very pleasant). For example, the staff use the elevator, and because it’s small, with their cleaning supplies there may not be enough room for you. I waited several minutes for the elevator, an unusually long time, and I suspect the staff was holding the elevator rather than letting it free for public use. When it stopped at my level, 2 staff women were in it with a cleaning cart, made no room for me, and giggled. I understand if I have to take the stairs, but an apologetic nod would have been more appropriate than laughter, especially after they had monopolized the elevator for so long. Another example is when I booked, my room description said I would be getting a double size bed, but I got one twin size bed. When I explained this to the receptionist, she was pretty aggressive about my room size and wanted to charge extra money to give me the room described on the website. Ultimately, I stayed in my original room, but it didn’t follow the room description, and even the staffperson agreed the website was confusing. I don’t think it’s the customer’s problem if the room description on a booking website isn’t accurate, it’s the hotel’s responsibility. I will say that this same staff person was gracious and pleasant and very welcoming for everything else; the room disagreement was the only exception. Obviously these experiences aren’t a dealbreaker, but why I can’t give this hotel 5 stars.
I would stay here again and recommend it because for the price it’s good value for location and a modern room. Because of the way they price their units, you get a 4-star modern room for only 10 euros more than a 3-star room, so it is good value.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank HappyBelly
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We had two rooms, one in the renovated part, one not. Neither had air-conditioning, and as the ambient temperature was 30+, the rooms were sweltering on arrival. The fans provided were of limited help, so we all slept very badly. Moral: don't use this hotel in the summer. The renovated room had a well-appointed bathroom, but the unrenovated one was far more basic. The breakfast arrangements were very curious, with tables in the main reception area in the hotel lobby so you eat surrounded by piles of luggage and guests queuing to pay their bill etc. The reception staff could do with going on a training course to learn how to speak English politely and to acquire basic courtesy skills. All in all, this hotel disappointed and was overpriced for the service provided. We will not use it again.

Room Tip: Unless traffic noise does not bother you, avoid a room overlooking the main road if you sleep with t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The hotel has very beautiful décor with high celling with marvellous décor. It felt grand on first impression.
Due to the natural of the building, it was not suitable for pushchairs or wheelchair as there were few stairs in & out the hotel and going to the bedroom. The lift was small (feel squash for us with 1 pushchair, 1 hand luggage, 2 adults and 1 kid).
Our suite was on the top floor. It was charming with large window and high ceiling. That is a kitchenette with tea/coffee making facility (which is rare in Germany) and minibar which is handy for heating & storing children food/milk. The bathroom is modern with shower over bath. My kid was fasinated with the light that shine hotel logo on bathroom wall.

It was a shame of the hotel has not air-con and only a desk fan to cool down the room. Or it was unfortunately for us that it was the hottest 2 days in Heidelberg.

The breakfast was lovely with various choices. The breakfast service area was very small but the breakfast lounge was pleasant with plenty of large windows to cool the room.
We will be back to the hotel if we are back to the area but would not be staying over summer period.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had a one night stay at the excellenze hotel in heidelberg on route to austria and my husband snd I were pleasantly surprised at the quality of this hotel. It is not a large hotel but nicely appointed- the bathroom is quite nice and modern and the room was quite large and, although traditionally decorated it wad quite charming in its decor. The lobby was lovely with nice tables snd chairs and complimentary fruit, coffee and pastry available. This hotel is ideally located on the main road that is approx. A 10 minutes or less, walk to the old historic center. Great hotel and a perfect location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed for a week in this recently renovated modern hotel. Great comfortable rooms with built in kitchen. Internet was free and fast. (Youtube videos no problem). Modern Bathroom and many practical additions to make the stay that much more pleasurable. Built in iPod receiver and charger, free amenities in the bathroom (Shampoo, Shower gel) etc.
Staff where very friendly and breakfast (which was included in the price of the room) catered for most tastes.
The location of the hotel is not so ideal, but its a short walk from public transport and restaurants, supermarkets etc.
Highly recommendable is the persian restaurant across the road. (Darwisch)
I will be bcak in Heidelberg next year and will be booking back into this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Based on the review of cfbnp200e and a direct question by email to the staff, I thought I was getting a renovated room, but it was actually in pretty bad shape. Not disgusting but not pleasant, and while I was satisfied with the attentive but cold service, I wouldn't come back here. The location could either be considered very convenient, between the train station and town center, or a bad compromise, since both are about 20 minutes walk. I was in room 406. Paid 95 euros for a double with breakfast.

Room Tip: Not room 406. Elevator doesn't really get you there, and it is in mediocre condition.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends