“A bad experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Nederland
“A bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

After more then 6 hours in a queue on the autobahn due to a lorry with potatoes turned over we arrived by the hotel at 10 pm, which we informed by phone about our late arrival. As we could not enter the courtyard to the entrance we parked the car next to the entrance and walked to the reception. There was no doorman to take care of the luggage and together with a lady from the reception we caried the luggage inside. The lady urged us to park the car in the public garage next to the hotel as is was not allowed top leave our car on its spot for the next 15 minutes. When we returned to the reception, a little tiried and thirsty the lady asked us when we would use the diner from the arrangement we had booked and when we would have the bottle of champagne. Our mindset was not really focused on that and would have been pleased when she had offered a drink. We said to reserve the dinner for 8 pm the next day and serve the champagne on 7pm in our room.
We then went to the bar to have a drink and something to eat. It took a while to get the waiter to our table as he was in a long conversation with a lady in the bar.
Aftyerwards we went to our room and switch on the tv for the news. However the tv was not acting. We called the concierge who came up and tried to get the tv to act. Without result and he told us that there were many problems with the it. Then someone from the reception came up and tried the same without result and suggested to change the room. We said that we were not really in for this after our long delay on the autobahn. Then he came with a new(verry old) tv to replace the broken one. This old fashionned tv was working. However is was impossible to see what canals were available and switching to another canal took 10 seconds.
The next day after visiting the city we returned to the hotel and tried to get something from the minibar.However that was locked and they had not given us a key for it.
At 7 pm we were waiting for our champagne. Nothing happened. At 7.30pm we were over and done with the lack of service and went to the reception and told them our complains and that we would not make use of the arrangement and only were willing to pay for our 2 nights stay and went for a nice dinner in the city.
When we returned and asked for our key the lady from the reception told us that we had to speak to the manager with regard to cancelling the arrangement. However there was no manager in the house untill the next day. We refused to wait for him as we were leaving early in the morning and insisted to pay the bill right now. After some discussion they made up the bill and charged us Eur 508 for the 2 nights in the room and Eur44 for oneday breakfast for two.
To call themselves a 5 star hotel is out of belief. The level of service is poor, the windows are up for fresh painting for years, all the doors make noise, no change of towels in the evening, no valet parking and above all no word of sorry for all the mistakes they made. Many 3 star hotels would be ashamed with this kind of service. Be wise and stay away from this overrated hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank travelboy54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is a large 5-star hotel in operation by the same family since 1865. The public spaces are grand. The breakfast room is lovely. Our room featured a deep tub, double sinks, cozy chairs, internet access, plenty of cabinetry for storage, a flat screen TV with dozens of international TV channels and radio, plus a large safe. The wifi was functional. The location is excellent, just steps to many restaurants.

Of course, one expects these features in a fine hotel. One other important feature: the service is impeccable. At every turn, the staff was more than helpful. One evening, an elderly woman took ill in the restaurant. Emergency vehicles responded. From the outdoor café, I could see staff scrambling, moving cars and waving in the ambulances from the street. Great intensity. All ended well.

We were surprised by shortcomings in our room, however. The wheezing hair dryer was nonfunctional and needed to be replaced. The shower was awkward for both of us. The showerhead was placed oddly low on the wall, which made it hard to wash one’s hair or rinse off. The short sheet of glass at the front of the tub provided inadequate protection against the shower spray going beyond the tub. In addition, I was surprised to find the bedspread and carpeting stained.

Room Tip: Wherever we stay, we ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

the service was excellent and the quality of the rooms..beautiful and clean. You can tell that this family takes pride in its ownership. Also, the Manager was so kind and helpful along with staff. Just loved it and you MUST check out there pool..OMG..it is gorgeous and so so so clean. I have nothing but praise for this hotel and will come back next time in Germany. The Restaurant setup ..GORGEOUS!!!!

Room Tip: check out the restaurant along with the bar area AND OF COURSE, the Pool
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldtrav1990
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

This is a typical German 5-star family run hotel with fitness center (up to date equipment), pool and spa. Very helpful staff. The only "minus" is somewhat slow internet connection - and suboptimal working conditions in the room (much too low chair; very little table space). However, it can be recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ulrik Frederik M
netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

I am a frequent visitor of Heidelberg and I have my favorite hotels in the city. This time round I was attending an organized event and the Europäische Hof was booked for us.
There is nothing wrong with the hotel, the only thing I really do not like is the atmosphere... It simply does not feel like being at home... As a very frequent traveller, I want to feel at home in a hotel. Not like I am sleeping in a museum. Again personal opinion...
Our rooms were booked at €159 per night... Which for hotels in Heidelberg is expensive. But the expectations were high because of the steep price. After checking in, the receptionist brought me to my room and we had a friendly chat about my frequent visits to Heidelberg and which hotels I typically stayed in... He assured me that the Europäische Hof was THE best hotel in Heidelberg. When the friendly gentleman opened the door of my room for me I was shocked... It was a room with a very narrow, small single bed... And everything was mint green/ sea blue... Horrible.. (According to my taste). I looked at the gentleman that guided me to my room and asked if he was serious... He told me that I was booked in a single room... That on itself would not have been a problem, but I saw the pictures of my colleagues that just checking in on Facebook and their rooms were bigger than mine... Their bed actually would fit me... Being a tall person I have a preference for a slightly larger bed, so I friendly asked if they had a bigger room.
We walked back to reception and I was asked to take a seat (a cup of coffee while waiting would have been appreciated - that is what you would expect at the "best hotel in Town"...) After 15 minutes I was provided with a room key and the comment if it was OK that the room would cost now 181 euro instead of the agreed €159. I was a bit surprised, but at that point in time I already knew that this was a once, but never again... I agreed to the price increase and was already looking forward to writing this review.
There was nothing wrong with the room, in fact it was comfortable, nice bed, good shower, bathtub with jets, but the fact that all the buying signals were ignored... And I was charged extra for the same room my colleagues were in... I was convinced not to come again.
Besides that my favorite hotel in Heidelberg (Art Hotel) is cheaper, as convenient as the Hof and makes me feel at home...
After all, that is what you need after a hard day of work.
Also the group' "business breakfast" was bad... Not much choice, in fact if you do not like cereal or fresh fruit for breakfast you are in the wrong place...

Room Tip: Make sure you do not end up in a single room with a single bed!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ireneus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

It is such a pleasure to go to an establishment where you are acknowledged and greeted in a friendly manner by all the staff, irrespective whether they are the manager, frontline office, housekeeping or maintenance. The accommodation was very comfortable and considering how long the hotel has been in existence as a hotel the mixture of modern updates with the historical building led to the ambience.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bernard M
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Not great for the business traveller - the free wifi was limited to the first two devices connected and also dropped out very regularly during the 2 days that I was there. However the room was big, clean, and had some nice period features. The lobby areas are also really traditional. Had a very poor breakfast, but it was maybe part of the package my company booked.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business