“Excellent friendly staff”

Der Europaische Hof Heidelberg
Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
“Excellent friendly staff”
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the end of September on a business trip. From the moment you arrive outside the hotel, the staff are very friendly and helpful, answering routine questions they must get hundreds of times from idiots like me, with the utmost courtesy and patience. I did not eat at the hotel due to meetings, but the rooms are clean and comfortable and i could even open the window fully to let in some air, which is unusual in most of the hotels I stay. Recommended.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have stayed at many hotels in Europe but this one is a stand out. This is not because I booked a standard room and ended up in a 2 room apartment. All the guests I spoke to in the hotel thought this hotel was tops. The staff were absolutely fantastic from the front desk to the dining room. I only used the dining room for breakfast and the service was outstanding .Although I only spoke English I felt part of a German family. I am hoping I will be able to return. It was a real home from home with a capital L for luxury.

Room Tip: Whatever room you get it will be quiet and you will enjoy the peaceful and calm atmosphere of this h...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JeneneThurecht
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Arriving with roof box caused no problems, doorman parked the car separately and returned it. A really elegant hotel. Fabulous luxury next to the old town. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Even the tea was excellent.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mjc992
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The staff and service was excellent, Dr. Caroline von Kretschmann certainly demonstrated what a 5 star hotel is all about. Her guest approach is most welcoming, she took the time to speak with us, very easy person to communicate with, my husband Dr. Kircher & I were very impressed and that is demonstrated throughout the hotel and its staff. Being in the service industry myself I fully understand the attention to details. We had been on a business trip in Portugal and made a stopover in Heidelberg to visit family. Over the years this is about our 7th or 8th stay, and the quality of the hotel from staff, food, accommodations truly 5 star. We occupied your rooms 330/331 a lovely apartment. Side note Best Breakfast in Germany.
Mrs. Helen & Dr. Perer Kircher

Room Tip: Choose one of the apartments, wow, spacious and most comfortable
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen K
san jose
Reviewed 14 July 2013

great location right in old town. I got upgraded to a huge suite that had a sitting room and a bedroom and large bath. the bath was upgraded and great, but the room, though very large, had dated upholstery and felt like something that was left behind from the 60s. The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable and I didnt really sleep much at all. The breakfast was superb and so was the service.
(Paid) Parking is right next to the hotel, so wasnt a problem.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank getafiz
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is an excellent hotel serving excellent food with tremendous staff. My room was small and I was slightly disappointed not to have a bath but the room was well appointed with an excellent comfortable bed. The choice of entertainment on the television was excellent as well. At lunch I ate in the beautiful outside restaurant and had the turbot which was well cooked served with a delicious red wine. Breakfast is superb with a wide variety of fruit, cheese and eggs cooked to order. I had poached eggs on toast which arrived on a hot plate beautifully presented.
The staff in this hotel are excellent. After I commented on whether the soft toys in the forea were for sale I was offered a complimentary one which was placed in my room. A beautiful touch.The spa was also excellent offering a roof terrace.
Room service was also great. Service was quick, sufficient and polite, The staff make you feel most welcome and the whole experience was excellent. I highly recommend travelers to stay in this hotel. The staff make you feel like royalty. A totally exceptional experience. I will remember it for a long time to come.

Room Tip: Pick this hotel in Heidelberg. You will not be disappointed. I can assure you.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Yaz186534
Nederland
Reviewed 1 July 2013

After more then 6 hours in a queue on the autobahn due to a lorry with potatoes turned over we arrived by the hotel at 10 pm, which we informed by phone about our late arrival. As we could not enter the courtyard to the entrance we parked the car next to the entrance and walked to the reception. There was no doorman to take care of the luggage and together with a lady from the reception we caried the luggage inside. The lady urged us to park the car in the public garage next to the hotel as is was not allowed top leave our car on its spot for the next 15 minutes. When we returned to the reception, a little tiried and thirsty the lady asked us when we would use the diner from the arrangement we had booked and when we would have the bottle of champagne. Our mindset was not really focused on that and would have been pleased when she had offered a drink. We said to reserve the dinner for 8 pm the next day and serve the champagne on 7pm in our room.
We then went to the bar to have a drink and something to eat. It took a while to get the waiter to our table as he was in a long conversation with a lady in the bar.
Aftyerwards we went to our room and switch on the tv for the news. However the tv was not acting. We called the concierge who came up and tried to get the tv to act. Without result and he told us that there were many problems with the it. Then someone from the reception came up and tried the same without result and suggested to change the room. We said that we were not really in for this after our long delay on the autobahn. Then he came with a new(verry old) tv to replace the broken one. This old fashionned tv was working. However is was impossible to see what canals were available and switching to another canal took 10 seconds.
The next day after visiting the city we returned to the hotel and tried to get something from the minibar.However that was locked and they had not given us a key for it.
At 7 pm we were waiting for our champagne. Nothing happened. At 7.30pm we were over and done with the lack of service and went to the reception and told them our complains and that we would not make use of the arrangement and only were willing to pay for our 2 nights stay and went for a nice dinner in the city.
When we returned and asked for our key the lady from the reception told us that we had to speak to the manager with regard to cancelling the arrangement. However there was no manager in the house untill the next day. We refused to wait for him as we were leaving early in the morning and insisted to pay the bill right now. After some discussion they made up the bill and charged us Eur 508 for the 2 nights in the room and Eur44 for oneday breakfast for two.
To call themselves a 5 star hotel is out of belief. The level of service is poor, the windows are up for fresh painting for years, all the doors make noise, no change of towels in the evening, no valet parking and above all no word of sorry for all the mistakes they made. Many 3 star hotels would be ashamed with this kind of service. Be wise and stay away from this overrated hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple