“Summer eating Italian style - delicious”
Review of Ristorante Mercato

Ristorante Mercato
Ranked #361 of 502 Restaurants in Heidelberg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I ate here while working in Germany with 2 colleagues who had previously visited more than once, both recommended this restaurant. We didn’t arrive at the restaurant till around 9pm but this seems the norm here and none of the staff minded at all, it was a beautiful evening so we sat outside as it seemed a waste to go inside. We managed to get a table, although the restaurant was quite busy. A waiter came over straight away, he was very friendly and spoke enough English for us to get by. It’s in a lovely location set just back off the main street through old town in front of the most beautiful LARGE church. There is also another Italian restaurant next door to Mercato, so careful not to get them confused if you want to eat in this one.
The menu choice here is large, lots of different pasta dishes, some meat dishes, they also have a specials board (mushroom season while I was there). We had some wine each (we all wanted different) and ordered a sharing pizza bread from the starters to share while we were waiting for our mains. Be warned that it is pretty large and between the 3 of us we stuggeled to finish it before our mains (didn’t want to be over full on bread with pasta arriving). I went for the lasagne which was HUGE but absolutely delicious, lots of sauce in it just how I like it, however I didn’t manage to finish it, nowhere close. My colleagues went for mushroom pasta (off the specials board) and a pasta with prawns in, both had empty plates so must have been as delicious as mine.
Definitely recommend if you like Italian, nice location and outdoor seating (I didn’t go inside at all so I can’t comment), I would like to return to this restaurant if I am in Heidelberg again.

There are newer reviews for Ristorante Mercato

Reviewed 12 January 2013

The best italian food we have had in Germany. Great location, Great flavors, very cozy spot. We will certainly be back.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

This is a small, cozy Italian restaurant not far from Hotel Ritter, which is the oldest building in Heidelberg. Food was excellent and the staff very friendly. However, the dishes are a bit pricey and directed to tourists. But I didn't mind paying a bit more in exchange for good food and a wonderful, intimate setting.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Located by the old bridge in Heidelberg is Mercato, an intimate Italian bistro with about 15 tables. Stumbled on this during a stroll during a business trip and sampled a fresh mista salad, veal cottoleta / pasta with a nicely priced Chianti.

The food was very good, and the service from the staff was quite attentive. All in all, it was a pleasant experience and would recommend a visit if you are in town.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

I went to this place twice and was so good!! good pasta good wine, excellent service and the location is really good with a nice view of the castle and the old bridge...