Hotel Goldener Falke
    Good 3.5/5
    • Breakfast included
    Kulturbrauerei(Heidelberg)
    • Restaurant
    All reviewsthe main squaregreat locationlow beamsold townrestaurant doorchristmas marketdouble windowstop floorvanilla sliceadequate breakfastthe staff was friendly and helpfultaxi ridegood sizeschnitzelroom facingpublic garagebreakfast spread
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 5 August 2011

I was in Heidelberg for a conference at the EMBL, and chose this place to stay based on location and also its website looked nice. I am happy to say that it exceeded expectations!

First of all the hostess and staff (I imagine most being of the same family) are very friendly and helpful. They greeted their guests whenever they come in and were prompt in helping me with whatever I needed, be it with regard to the rooms, or in the restaurant (which I had dinner in one evening). They speak pretty decent English too, which was great as I don't speak German and it was my first time in Germany. My regret is that being unable to speak German, I couldn't really communicate much with them. I would have liked very much to speak with them!

Next is the rooms. I stayed in a business suite on the 4th floor, facing the main square (Marktplatz). A little elevator in the back takes you up to the 3rd floor and stairs take you the remaining of the way. The room was bright and cheery, with a nicely made bed. The wardrobe was spacious with many hangers available. There was a bar fridge stocked with several kinds of soft drinks and beers too. The bathroom was also clean and nice, with a bathtub and a shower. The only thing was, I couldn't figure out how to work the shower head in the bathtub, although I have used plenty of bathtubs before. Air-conditioning was available, although I imagine that it isn't really a great need in this climate. More important was the heating, which is pretty fine. Other furnishings included a standard TV and a table with 2 chairs. Views from the room were great; both the front and back faces opposing hillsides (and the main square in the front), as the town is located in kind of a valley. Free WiFi is available, which is really great, just ask for a password from the counter. The one thing that may be an issue for some is that partygoers in the square at night can be noisy, but I just closed the windows and it wasn't much of a problem, and they don't stay past 11 or so most of the times. If that bothers you, request for a room facing the side or back of the hotel.

Next I'll talk about the food. Breakfast is provided everyday from 7am (8am on weekends) - 10am in the restaurant on the ground floor. The hosts stock their breakfast counter with many kinds of breads, cheese, ham, cereal, jams, yoghurt, fruit, juices, and serve coffee/tea - a very sumptuous spread! The ambience in the restaurant is really great too, for all meals of the day. It is separately run from the hotel, but by the same people, so there is the same service and warmth. I had dinner here one night, and it was really great - I would write about that, but this review is for the hotel, so I'll leave that for a separate review.

The hotel is located right in the Old Town (Aldstadt), on the main square (Marktplatz). This is one of the things I really appreciated about the hotel - from this place, I could easily explore the old town and other parts of Heidelberg. The town hall (Rasthaus), with the tourist information counter inside, is just opposite the hotel, and so is the Church of the Holy Ghost (Heileggeistkirche). On a sunny day, the square transforms into a hub of activity as the restaurants set up their tables outside. There was a grocery store right next to the hotel, which was really handy for when I needed a snack or some bottled water. The old bridge (Alte Brucke) over the Neckar river is also pretty much a straight 5 min walk from the hotel, which takes you across the river for more exploring. Heidelberg is a great place to explore on foot, and the hotel is a great place to launch from (which I did, and found it absolutely great)! There is no parking at the hotel (which is the case for almost every building in the Old Town), but there is a underground parking lot just a 2 min walk away at the Kornmarkt. Transport connection is great as well, with buses 31 and 32 (which connect to the main train station, Heidelberg Hbf, as well as to the other parts of Heidelberg like the Zoo and University in the Neuenheimer Feld area) terminating at Universitatplatz a 5 minute walk away, and other services calling in at Kornmarkt.

Lastly I'll talk about the price. I stayed 5 nights in the business suite, which costed 105 Euros a night for a single occupancy. I imagine this probably is in about the mid to upper-mid range for hotels here in Heidelberg, but I'd say it was worth every bit of the money.

What more shall I say about this place? On my first time in Germany, this hotel has really given me a good experience and has exceeded expectations. I hope to visit Heidelberg again and when I do, Hotel Goldener Falke is sure to be on the top of my list for a stay!

What I liked:-
    - Central location in the Old Town
    - Clean, well-kept room and cosy decor
    - Friendly, warm staff, ability to communicate in English
    - Well furnished, free WiFi is a big plus
    - Breakfast in the hotel is splendid

What I didn't like:-
    - Except for the occasional noisy partygoers at night, nothing!

Room Tip: Request for a room facing the side or back of the hotel if you mind the partygoers in the main square at night.
    • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
    4  Thank JustinNg
    Reviewed 19 July 2011

The location is charming on the main square of the old city. The building which is really old is special and has character, the rooms are very spacious, well equipped and friendly, breakfast is great and the price is reasonable. On the downside I would mention the noise both from the main square (many youngsters from all over the world enjoy Heidelberg at night too) and the fact that for the really friendly family who run the place the restaurant is more important and you will not always get a response when you phone the front desk

Room Tip: take a room towards the back (less view, more sleep)
    • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank meikelfromtivon
    Reviewed 29 June 2011

Central location but beware of rooms facing the square. I'm not a light sleeper, but was kept up all night long by loud partygoers in the street below. Also beware that the price for two people in one room is significantly more than the price for one person so that you are not surprised by the bill...

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
    3  Thank natasha96
    Reviewed 23 June 2011

The hotel was wonderful and very accomodating. The family that runs the hotel made us feel like family. The restaurant in the hotel was also excellent. The rooms are very spacious and extremely clean. We will most definitely return again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
    Reviewed 27 April 2011

I am on day three if my four day (3 nights) stay in this hotel. It is superbly located on the market square, a stones throw from the funicular to the castle and also very close to the impressive old bridge over the Nectar. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Rooms are spotless, comfortable and you feel you are staying in a place of history. It is also bright and airy.

I am staying in one of the small single rooms, and I was unsure if this was a good choice when booking, but am very glad I chose to. I have seen other rooms and they are excellent too.

I would definitely stay here again. Thank you to the staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: April 2011