Hotel Goldener Falke
Hotel Zum Seppl(Heidelberg)
  • Breakfast included
Kulturbrauerei(Heidelberg)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe main squaregreat locationlow beamsold townrestaurant doorchristmas marketdouble windowstop floorvanilla sliceadequate breakfastthe staff was friendly and helpfultaxi ridegood sizeschnitzelroom facingpublic garagebreakfast spread
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I stayed just one nigth with my family ( 2 boys ) and I loved the hotel so much....it's central, but not noising.....staff very nice....my room was big, with 2 double beds....wifi free...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2011

What a great hotel! It is superbly located in the centre of a square. Easy walk to everything Heidelberg has to offer and what a stunning city it is!
If you get a room facing the square you will enjoy lovely views; I would however ask for rooms facing away from the square (if there are any) because the noice from the restaurants located in the square will keep you awake- especially if you need to keep the windows opened to get some cool air during the night.
There is no reception in this hotel- however there is always someone in the restaurant and all the staff are very friendly. Talking about the restaurant, it is very nice with superb meals and breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2011

What a great hotel! Right in the center of a square filled with restaurants, shops, bakeries and a church. Right round the corner from the station to take the cable car to go to the Castle (schloss), 5 mins to the bridge, 2 bus stops away from the Alstadt train station. They don't really have a reception area, we just went into their restaurant next door and got our keys from the person at the bar. Checked out the same way. Safe too, as you could only get into the hotel if you had a front door key (besides your room key)

Our room was on the top floor, so we had 2 (small) extra flights of stairs. One just after the elevator to the top floor and one inside the room. But the room was really lovely. A bedroom with a wardrobe and very comfortable queen bed, a hall area with a sofa bed that opens into another double bed, flat screen TV, loungers, dining table/chairs. They even had a selection of popular hard back books on the bookshelf. One area of the living room had a small kitchenette with a microwave and tea/coffee facilities, and attached to all this was a good size bathroom.

Breakfast wasn't anything special, but enough to start the day well. Juice, tea/coffee, croissants/breads/few pastries, boiled eggs. But there are loads of eating options around the hotel. We really liked the Siam Thai restaurant (from a review here on TA) at the start of the Carl Theodor bridge. My daughter said the Pad Thai was the best she'd ever had, barring Thailand! Service was slow, but the food made up for it. The walk down Hauptstrasse (Old Town) was lively and fun. Lots of people about, entertainers on the street, lots of restaurants and shops. This road ends at the hotel and goes up to Bismarkplatz.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We had a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank anabee
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I was in Heidelberg for a conference at the EMBL, and chose this place to stay based on location and also its website looked nice. I am happy to say that it exceeded expectations!

First of all the hostess and staff (I imagine most being of the same family) are very friendly and helpful. They greeted their guests whenever they come in and were prompt in helping me with whatever I needed, be it with regard to the rooms, or in the restaurant (which I had dinner in one evening). They speak pretty decent English too, which was great as I don't speak German and it was my first time in Germany. My regret is that being unable to speak German, I couldn't really communicate much with them. I would have liked very much to speak with them!

Next is the rooms. I stayed in a business suite on the 4th floor, facing the main square (Marktplatz). A little elevator in the back takes you up to the 3rd floor and stairs take you the remaining of the way. The room was bright and cheery, with a nicely made bed. The wardrobe was spacious with many hangers available. There was a bar fridge stocked with several kinds of soft drinks and beers too. The bathroom was also clean and nice, with a bathtub and a shower. The only thing was, I couldn't figure out how to work the shower head in the bathtub, although I have used plenty of bathtubs before. Air-conditioning was available, although I imagine that it isn't really a great need in this climate. More important was the heating, which is pretty fine. Other furnishings included a standard TV and a table with 2 chairs. Views from the room were great; both the front and back faces opposing hillsides (and the main square in the front), as the town is located in kind of a valley. Free WiFi is available, which is really great, just ask for a password from the counter. The one thing that may be an issue for some is that partygoers in the square at night can be noisy, but I just closed the windows and it wasn't much of a problem, and they don't stay past 11 or so most of the times. If that bothers you, request for a room facing the side or back of the hotel.

Next I'll talk about the food. Breakfast is provided everyday from 7am (8am on weekends) - 10am in the restaurant on the ground floor. The hosts stock their breakfast counter with many kinds of breads, cheese, ham, cereal, jams, yoghurt, fruit, juices, and serve coffee/tea - a very sumptuous spread! The ambience in the restaurant is really great too, for all meals of the day. It is separately run from the hotel, but by the same people, so there is the same service and warmth. I had dinner here one night, and it was really great - I would write about that, but this review is for the hotel, so I'll leave that for a separate review.

The hotel is located right in the Old Town (Aldstadt), on the main square (Marktplatz). This is one of the things I really appreciated about the hotel - from this place, I could easily explore the old town and other parts of Heidelberg. The town hall (Rasthaus), with the tourist information counter inside, is just opposite the hotel, and so is the Church of the Holy Ghost (Heileggeistkirche). On a sunny day, the square transforms into a hub of activity as the restaurants set up their tables outside. There was a grocery store right next to the hotel, which was really handy for when I needed a snack or some bottled water. The old bridge (Alte Brucke) over the Neckar river is also pretty much a straight 5 min walk from the hotel, which takes you across the river for more exploring. Heidelberg is a great place to explore on foot, and the hotel is a great place to launch from (which I did, and found it absolutely great)! There is no parking at the hotel (which is the case for almost every building in the Old Town), but there is a underground parking lot just a 2 min walk away at the Kornmarkt. Transport connection is great as well, with buses 31 and 32 (which connect to the main train station, Heidelberg Hbf, as well as to the other parts of Heidelberg like the Zoo and University in the Neuenheimer Feld area) terminating at Universitatplatz a 5 minute walk away, and other services calling in at Kornmarkt.

Lastly I'll talk about the price. I stayed 5 nights in the business suite, which costed 105 Euros a night for a single occupancy. I imagine this probably is in about the mid to upper-mid range for hotels here in Heidelberg, but I'd say it was worth every bit of the money.

What more shall I say about this place? On my first time in Germany, this hotel has really given me a good experience and has exceeded expectations. I hope to visit Heidelberg again and when I do, Hotel Goldener Falke is sure to be on the top of my list for a stay!

What I liked:-
- Central location in the Old Town
- Clean, well-kept room and cosy decor
- Friendly, warm staff, ability to communicate in English
- Well furnished, free WiFi is a big plus
- Breakfast in the hotel is splendid

What I didn't like:-
- Except for the occasional noisy partygoers at night, nothing!

Room Tip: Request for a room facing the side or back of the hotel if you mind the partygoers in the main square at night.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank JustinNg
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The location is charming on the main square of the old city. The building which is really old is special and has character, the rooms are very spacious, well equipped and friendly, breakfast is great and the price is reasonable. On the downside I would mention the noise both from the main square (many youngsters from all over the world enjoy Heidelberg at night too) and the fact that for the really friendly family who run the place the restaurant is more important and you will not always get a response when you phone the front desk

Room Tip: take a room towards the back (less view, more sleep)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple