Hotel Goldener Hecht
US$322
US$313
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsold bridgerestaurant downstairsthe riverno elevatorcarry your luggagesmall hotelfantastic locationyogurtthe hotel staffcastleeuropereceptionistaltealtstadtcurtains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2011

First, I'd like to say that the receptionist at this hotel on the weekend we stayed was incredibly nice. She spoke English and was very helpful.
Now, don't take a room on the 1st floor if it isn't on the courtyard. It was summer so we had the windows open (no AC), and subsequently were treated with 230am drunks and a woman wailing like she just saw her family drive over a cliff. So, book a 2nd floor room or the courtyard.
The breakfast isn't included in the price, but we splurged on it. We can debate whether it was worth it, but we left the table full of delicious sandwich meats, yogurt, and hot beverages. Perfect if you want to skip lunch.
The hotel is located right next to the old bridge, which provides quite a scenic view every day. Take the bus from the tram if you're coming from the train station like we were. There's a stop a short walk away. If we made it with our giant suitcases, you can too.
The restaurant downstairs was pretty decent. We had drinks and a late lunch there one afternoon. Steer clear of sitting near any plants if you don't want to see some bees, but that's pretty much true of all of Heidelberg's outdoor restaurants.
We would stay here again, but we'd be much more choosy about our room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve V
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Very nice. Small and comfortable hotel, located right beside the old bridge and very convenient walk to the old city center. Good value. The staff was very helpful and they offered to give us an early check-in because the room was available.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was a nice reasonably priced hotel - clean, comfortable beds, helpful staff, but it is right at the Old Bridge and if you have an outside room it is quite noisy on weekend evenings, especially in summer when your windows are open. The breakfast was good but not included in price. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it is supposed to be excellent - a beautiful outdoor setting looking out to bridge. Well located. There are rooms that open onta a central courtyard which are probably much quieter.

Room Tip: Book ahead to get a inside (courtyard) room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank David A
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I booked this hotel because it was close to the city center where my conference was held, and I was thrilled to discover it was also cozy and romantic. The room had a lovely view of the old bridge and was tastefully decorated. The breakfast was very generous. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I stumbled upon this quaint, friendly hotel when I was told I could not extend by one night at Vier Jahreszeiten where I had stayed the night of my arrival in Heidelberg. They were full. That was not much of a disappointment as I had encountered only rude service there. In contrast, the woman I inquired about rooms of at Goldener Hecht at about 9 PM was kind, polite and most helpful. She said I could bring my luggage as early as I wanted the next day and they would store it until the room was available. I brought my luggage at about 10:30 AM and the owner, Eva, kindly stored it and then called a taxi for me. She gave me a key to my room. When I returned at about 4 PM, I was delighted to find a bright, airy room with beautiful flower boxes in the windows and some historic charm to the furniture and decor. The bed was very comfortable; the only odd thing about the room was the shape. There was no hairdryer in the room, but one could be borrowed on request. Dinner in the restaurant and breakfast the next morning were both perfectly satisfactory, if not anything exceptional. The fragrant fresh flowers in the lobby/landing areas were a really nice touch. Eva was nothing but kind and helpful during my stay, even offering to carry my luggage down the next day and seeming genuinly concerned when my taxi was a bit slow arriving. Since the rate included breakfast and Internet was only 3 euros extra, I thought that it was quite reasonable cost-wise. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone for its excellent location in the historic old part of Heidelberg, its charming rooms, reasonable prices and friendly service.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business