“Excellent view, and interesting ride”

Konigstuhl Funicular (Bergbahn)
Ranked #6 of 98 things to do in Heidelberg
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Warning, it can be a lot cooler at the top than in Heidelberg! It is an interesting ride up and down such a steep grade. You can see the works that move the cars at the top. Plan for the extra time to take the funicular to the top when you go to visit the castle. You need to change from the new to the old system, and the upper section runs less frequently. It is interesting when the up and down cars meet on the specific section of track.

There are also many walking paths that start from this area. They looked interested, but it was a bit late in the day for full investigation.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'd been on the Bergbahn a couple of times before just to go to the castle in Heidelberg - my knees are shot and I didn't fancy the trudge uphill and I'm sticking to that excuse! Then I finally took the opportunity to take the cable railway all the way to the top of the Königsstuhl, the rock that overlooks historical Heidelberg. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip; the view as you ascend and descend is splendid, and the wooden carriages are in good order. I understand they were refurbished recently. Passengers have to change trains partway through the trip. I suspect this has to do with the differing grades involved; it's 40% on the final stretch.
Definitely see the machine room, enjoy a beer and the view from the Königsstuhl, and if you're there at the right time of day, enjoy the Tinnunculus display of various birds of prey.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great fun, well organised and a very steep climb. Unusually had to change half way up to an even smaller carriage which was even better fun.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our wait wasn't too long although we went on a sunny weekend. We did need to get a separate ticket for the second half of the trip in the wooden train, and a lot of people waited in line only to realize they didn't have the right ticket at all when we got to the turnstiles. There is quite a bit to do up top, but we didn't have a lot of time, so we got some drinks at the (chaotic) beer garden and then went back down. The train trip alone was worth it!

1  Thank NicoleMe8
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I've been on other funicular systems in Europe. This one in Heidelberg is one of the best. The "new" system runs to the Schloss (Castle) above Heidelberg, and is the best way to get to this attraction.

The "old" system runs right up the mountain behind the castle, and the old wooden cars are a treat, as is the final 40% grade rarely found in any transport system.

However we were shocked to find that this attraction would NOT take any form of credit card, cash only. And the nearest cash machine is over 2 blocks from the funicular station.

4  Thank JimmyMc