Hotel Mille Stelle
Hotel Mille Stelle
Ranked #71 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Only about a 15 minute walk to the Old Town. With the Heidelberg card, transport is free around the city. The breakfast which was included in the rate was very good. Housekeeping excellent.

Even though I stayed over a weekend, I paid 75 Euros per night for a single room inc. breakfast. For what I got, I don't believe it was worth it. I expected the room/bathroom to be small as I'm travelling through Europe (and know the definition of small), but I just don't see the value - it's even a 10 minutes walk from the train station, so the value is not in the location. Only CNN in English on TV.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Worst hotel experience I have had. I had booked two nights at this hotel and upon arriving was 'greeted' with the worst reception I have ever encountered. Unbelievably rude staff, in particular the female owner/manager who actually arrived (after having kept me waiting at the front desk for at least 15 minutes) yelling at me because of my supposed lack of patience. Not one hello was peeped. Swallowing my pride, I took the key and headed for my room. After taking a look at the closet space, whose door would not even stay shut unless it was actually locked (this recalls another review mentioning that their child had actually been locked in one of their rooms!), I decided it was impossible for me to stay. I walked out, lost some money in the process of cancelling the stay, but salvaged the trip to Heidelberg. Simply staggeringly bad, especially at that price point. Do yourself a favor.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank askdjhazdkjh
Reviewed 3 April 2014

this small hotel on a side street in heidelberg is halfway between the railway station and the start of the main town. its ideal for people with time and a decent level of fitness. The hotel has real old time charm and very quiet. Breakfast was fine with fruit , meats, cheeses and bread rolls. tea , coffee and juices. for myself it was enough to send me on my way happily. the beds were ok but shower and bathroom a little small. had a t.v. and fridge in the room but heidelberg is not a place to be spent in hotel rooms. staff were lovely and helpfull. overall id defo go back .

Room Tip: try stay at back of hotel as bin lorry comes early and can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank doggydina
Reviewed 4 September 2013

It was a pension hotel. The room was very small. It was equiped with a TV and refrigerator. The bathroom was also congusted. But the breakfast and the cleaning facility was very good. The staff was very friendly as well. The tram stop was just 2 minutes walk from the hotel, and the train station was convenient to reach in 15 minutes by walk.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We rented two rooms at Hotel Schmitt in March 2013, granted largely because every other hotel we wanted was already full, but were largely happy with our stay. Lets be clear: you only want this hotel if you are coming into Heidelberg by train and wish to travel by public transit. There is nothing resembling parking. The hotel is a short distance from the main train station--if you go one bus stop toward downtown (city works) you can see the hotel from the intersection. It is about 5 blocks walk from the hauptbanhoff--quick walk once you trial and error a bit... though I don't think the street map is very clear, and we took a wrong turn or two at first both to and fro.

Hotel is a small turn of the 20th Century building. Old fashioned keys and european double locks. Radiator heat worked well in the snow, but I am sure there is no air conditioning. Rooms are small and tend toward doll sized funiture. Enough for the negatives. It is clean. The staff is friendly. The beds are comfortable. The plumbing fixtures worked well. It is quiet. The breakfast was excellent and the breakfast area comfortable. Once we figured out where the 32 bus was (castle, university square, all around useful bus) how to buy a city ticket (1.1 euro), travel downtown was easy. There is an elevator which was recently modernized.

One should adjust their expections to a 1920 era hotel. I found it romantic. We were happy there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night. We selected it because it was reasonably close to the Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof (about a 15 minute walk when pulling luggage), it included breakfast for the 85 euro double room, it had an elevator, and wifi Internet was free.
The room had 1 ceiling light, 1 light over the center of the twin beds, and 1 light in the ceiling of the bathroom. English was available on 2 TV channels (CNN and BBC). My wife commented that the glasses were not clean, some of the towels were dingy, that the bathmat was gray rather than white, and that lighting for makeup was the worst we had encountered in the past 21 days of travel.
The room size was standard (typically European small) and the bed gave 2 tired people a comfortable nights sleep.
The breakfast was reasonable: 3 cereals, typical European meats and cheeses, 3 juices, and breads and rolls (no pastry), and a bowl of fresh and canned fruit salad mixture.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We had a terrible experience in this hotel: our children (13 and 15) got locked inside the room, because the lock did not work. We were told (by the rather unfriendly lady serving breakfast) that someone would arrive 30-45 minutes later (it was Sunday morning, so we resigned ourselves, although we wanted to leave early to avoid the traffic jams). Nothing happened for more than an hour. When we enquired, the lady shrugged her shoulders, and said that waiting for an hour is not really long. When we protested, we were accused by the hotel owner of having broken the lock ourselves (in front of other hotel customers), we were shouted at (all in German, the owner does not speak English), and pushed violently out of the room. At the end the lock-smith arrived more than two hours later. He assured us (in front of the hotel owner) that it was not our fault (we have his name and address). Not only the owner did not offer his apologies, but he abused us once more, shouted at us, and became violent. We have never experienced something like this.

Room Tip: Just don't go to this hotel!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family