“Big moneyback problems”

Ranked #67 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Heidelberg, Germany
“Big moneyback problems”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Usual small hotel situated in the middle of the city with expensive internet connection. (5 Euro/day).
Not bad food, no crew after 20.00.

But don't book this hotel if you want possibility of cancellation!
I Booked room, after that I felt ill and had to cancel my trip.
1) they blocked ALL sum in the card after booking
2) they didn't return money during cancellation according cancellation policy (one night payment for hotel, other - moneyback.). Honestly they didn't return money at all. So I have to fly to Heidelberg (!) after 10 days of illness and live there until end of my booking to avoid money problems with my company.
At the end of the trip they returned 50 % money for noshow period but I think it's not enough and it's not fair deal.

Room Tip: not under the ladder! it's awfully small
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank mor a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
North Carolina
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I should have turned around and walked out when I was made to pay for the entire 2 week stay on arrival. Had I not been dead tired from jet lag, I would have. Insult #2 what that they would not take the corporate AMEX that I had used to hold the reservation. I had to use my personal MasterCard which later brought me some heat from my employer. Insult #3 was that the claimed to have not received the changes to the reservation that were sent (and verified) a week before and charged me for the night before my arrival and for one night after I was to depart. The "manager" was not available to make the change right then but I was assured that it would be fixed and credited. #4 was that I was given a room on the 4th floor. They had no elevator and offered no help in getting my bags to my room. the room had a south facing view which looked into other peoples homes and businesses and when the sun came up at 4:30 am, I realized that there were no shades and no way to keep the sun out. The reservation was not fixed and the manager was not available for the last 3 days of my stay so now we are fighting over the charges. Stay away from this place. It is a rip-off.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank SpecialK_NC

Travellers are raving about these Heidelberg hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 December 2010

what a dump. The staff was extremely rude and unfriendly. there is no staff after 8. the rooms are small. the maids woke us up to clean when we were jetlagged and needed sleep. they made a mistake in the reservation, and despite the fact that we had booked 8 people for 4 days, spending almost 2000 euros, they insisted on charging 20 extra euros because they had not made the correct reservation and there was only a double room for one person left. completely unprofessional, not business oriented at all. no elevators. petty with internet, making it difficult to impossible if you missed the hours that the staff worked, which were few. pompous, monolingual receptionist arguing with guests, quite unseemly. there is no place to hang out or meet people, the lobby is about 2 meters long and wide. they were disorganized, and did not reply to emails about crucial issues. we will never again use this hotel, and please take this advice and find someplace else to stay unless you are a masochist. oh, the breakfast was pretty good, but small compensation for the rest.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank bunnyhopkins
co.kerry
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My wife and i found this establesment a most depressing place. This is not a hotel, just a very poor guest house. No lift, terrible climb to top floor. Nobody will help you with your luggage. Inches of dust under our bed. Unfriendly and unhelpfull staff. Reception and breakfast room compare in size to a fone box. No reception after 8 pm. If you loose your key or leave it in your room and return after this time your in big trouble. We could not get a contact number for anybody. We could only get one key on check in. We were up early on the morning we were leaving. The greeting we got from the female staff member was ( Yere not getting breakfast now). The location is ideal.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher D
Rijeka, Croatia
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We booked a room via Internet and arrived to hotel at 7:55 pm. The receptionist was very nervous as it was 5 minutes until the end of her shift and she slid our card through the reader several times, saying the card was not accepted although we shopped with that card days before and days after this event. She wanted to kick us out, but her boss allowed us to stay until the next day, saying we will try to sort everything out the next day. We then paid 10 EUR in cash for Internet access for two days and went to our room.

The next day we left our room to get some coffee, but another receptionist hailed us saying that he had a message for us. We told him we would like to have some coffee first, but he went on saying that his colleague made a mistake the day before and that everything was settled now and that our card was OK. We said OK and that we would just like to have some coffee in peace now. He did not apologize or let us go grab our coffee, but insisted we handle the paperwork immediately.

After that, we came back to our room around 8 pm on the same day. Nobody was at the reception at that time. We tried to connect to the Internet with the access code the first receptionist gave us, but only then we realized that the access code was valid for only 12 hours. And she did not give us 2 codes, only 1 although we paid for two days (2 x 5 EUR/day). Needless to say that we needed Internet access, but could not get it as the reception was closed.

When you look from the outside and when you see the picture of the hotel on the Internet, you see a decent hotel with its own garage. But please note that this is a different hotel - Goldene Rose - the hotel next door with a 24-hour reception and its own garage, and Altstadt Hotel is a funny little thing next door, not a proper hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business