“Great 1st Visit”

Gallo Nero
Ranked #72 of 536 Restaurants in Heidelberg
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Decide to pop in as out first choice was full.. Very glad we did. There was a big group of 10 of us which they accommodated without any fuss. Service was excellent with drinks and food orders taken quickly and nibbles of bread and olives brought out straight away.
I split a pizza and the beef fillet gnocchi with a colleague and both were excellent and very tasty.
Prices here were very reasonable with the food worth every penny.
Great find and somewhere I'll definitely be going back to.

Reviewed 31 October 2017

Located about 10 minutes walk from the old town, on the route towards the main train station, is this elegant Italian restaurant. Prices are a bit higher than in some of the other Italian restaurants. But the pizza was very nice and filling, the service was very friendly. The menu has the standard Italian dishes, as well as some with a slight twist to them.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

Me and my son stopped here for lunch after a dentist appointment. We had tried another pizza place but it was crowded with all the communal huge bench tables taken up. So glad we found this little spot! It was clean with linen tablecloths and napkins, candles lit at every table and a great quiet, cozy ambiance. It looks expensive but is very reasonable. We ordered garden salads, at 5.5 Euro each, I thought they would be little but out came 2 big plates of fresh salad with just enough dressing. The gratis bread basket was delicious bread with a perfect crust. I love Italian bread and it did not disappoint. We also ordered a pizza Margheurita, which is just basically cheese pizza. It was about 8 Euro for a 14" thin crust. It was a little crunchy for me but still delicious and my son loved it. We also ordered the Panna Cotta with Caramel sauce. It was nice, loved the sauce, the Panna Cotta itself was average. With large sodas for each of us, the total was about 35 Euro with tip included. They added the tip in themselves at 10% which is fine with me, saves me the time, but I am sure German folk aren't big fans of that. Overall, great experience, the older waiter spoke English and was very polite. A perfect cozy, clean, peaceful spot for lunch with good food. There is also a bar with a wall of wine bottles. Not many people in there at noon, a few more trickled in as we ate.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Lovely ambience, good quality, reasonably priced Italian food with multi-lingual waiting staff. Good enough to return despite other local places to eat.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Let's start with "I love Italian food". All the regions. My GF's grandparents were from Italy and owned a high end restaurant on the east coast. We eat at many Italian restaurants and on a frequent basis. So it isn't our first rodeo. I only give the background because we thought this was the most perfect pasta we have had in memorable history. The truffle was balanced, the noodles al dented and the aroma luscious.

The veal saltimbocca was lovely. Spiced subtly and correctly. The antipasto was varied with both seafood and meats, countered by grilled veggies. All in all a great meal.

Service was fantastic. Attentive, but not in your face. The wine selection that was recommended was fabulous.

MHM