“Great food with "Good Cop/Bad Cop" service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Zum Roten Ochsen

Zum Roten Ochsen
Ranked #42 of 480 Restaurants in Heidelberg
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Zürich
“Great food with "Good Cop/Bad Cop" service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Great food, had sausage, ham and mash with beer which was good too. One waitress was exceptionally friendly and helpful, the other one was very offhand and impolite, hence the "Good Cop/Bad Cop" title.....
Would go again as long as we would not be served by the unfriendly waitress!

• Visited December 2013

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta
“May skip this one mostly stop for history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is suppose to be the place to go. There was almost no one there when we stopped in. The service was one of the worst that we visited. The food was traditional German. Prices were about the same as other local restaurants. It is suppose to be a good location for students from the University but this wasn't the case at least during the time we were visiting. There is a lot of history here to entertain you while dining

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Traveling_Beee
Heidelberg, Germany
“ok food, terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I found out about this place from many websites and blogs and I have to admit it is indeed a very famous place. But I am so disappointed by the food, but more seriously terrible service. I called to make a reservation and the person who took the reservation told me "ok, be on time, and don't call again because we are very busy". When we arrived, it got worse. Although the place was half empty, when we asked the server to take a picture of us (isn't it a typical touristy thing that they should be used to?), the server said "since I am busy, I will come back to take your photo". Then she never came back -- she offered to take a photo of us when it was only me who was at the table to pay and the rest of us went to the restroom. The food was at least 30-40% more expensive compared to another "popular" restaurant in town (that I loved!) and the food not good. I ordered sausage, but they give us schnitzel instead and we ordered potato soup but it never came. I don't think I will ever go back and I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Julia L
“Great atmosphere, good food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

The place was (surprisingly) at least half empty when we went there for lunch. Plently of interesting memorabilia and other stuff to see inside. Service was OK with reasonable prices, so great value. The boiled beef was good but the soup was a little too salty for my taste.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank pengboon
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great old world atmosphere and delicious food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We're so glad we found this tavern. It's filled with history, historic memorabilia and an old world feel. Also, the beer and the dinner were fantastic! It's easy to find, just off the Market Square.

Visited May 2013