“A warm French restaurant ”
Review of Le Coq

Ranked #63 of 536 Restaurants in Heidelberg
Price range: US$8 - US$36
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: After 30 years of tradition, the "Le Coq" Bistro & Restaurant has been under our management since the beginning of 2015. But do not worry, we do not intend to turn the traditional restaurant into something different from what it is or has always been: A cozy place to be together with delicious food and good wine.
Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

On a recent business trip to Heidelberg, I hosted my colleagues for dinner. We had a mixed group from all over Europe and all expressed there satisfaction at the great meal we enjoyed.

I sampled the boujabes and it was both fragrant and fresh, the seafood was firm yet succulent.

The other members of the party had a mix of steaks and French speciality dishes that all received our French colleagues stamp of approval.

The staff where attentive and well spoken in English, German and French and the wine list was up scratch with our Belgian wine fanatic.

KrisdeBoerg, Inhaber at Le Coq, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Dear Merlin K,

Thank you for the good rating - we are pleased about it and hope to welcome you again soon in our restuarant.

Best regards,
Kristin Riedinger

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

After 4 weeks in Heidelberg, were several restaurants was tested we finnally found an eveneing to visit ,Le Coq. The menu was handed out, and "todays specials" was presented separately. From this moment of it all went wrong.. When ordering the food a new waitress showed up taking our order. We ordered a Frence spesiality (snails) for the starter, and two of the courses from todays special for main course. For the food we also ordered a botle of Pinot Noir red wine and still water. The wine and the water came quickly after the order was made. Then shortly after this the main courses was served, and this time of the first waitress, and not the one taking our order. We then asked for our snails, she appologiste and told us she didnt know anything about it. The main corses was put on our table, and nothing was done to correct the missing starters. It was obviously that the restaurant was missing routines for how to handle such issues. For us this is not a waitress problem but a management problem. After some time, and after completed most of the main course, the waitress taking our order showed up and appollogised for forgetting our starters, but we should get a discount on coffe/dessert. We ordered creme brule from the dessert menu, and asked if they had Irish coffe as well. The waitress told us they could make this, they had Bailys and coffe and could mix it. We then told her that There was no Baily in Irish coffe but whiskey, coffe, cream and suger. No problem they could do this. The dessert and the Irish Coffe was served together, the dessert was by the way excellent, and the only thing about this meal which was good, the so called Irish coffe was deffenetly not Irish Coffe but something else (never tasted it before). We asked for the bill and got the highest bill ever during our stay in Heidelberg, and no discount as promissed was made. We paid and left Le Coq after one of our most strange restaurant experiences ever. The food was not more than average except for the dessert, lack of management routines in the service was obvious. There is a lot to do if this restaurant should come to the level We expecting it to be.

4  Thank AEngevik
KrisdeBoerg, Inhaber at Le Coq, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Dear AEngevik,

Thank you for the honest words and the constructive criticism that we want to take to heart. I know that I did not attend that evening, but the service told me about it. Of course I am sorry that things did not go well at your table and it is often the case that the next one follows after a faux pas, when "the stone started rolling". However, from our other excellent reviews on this portal, you can see that this must have been an absolute exception, for which we apologize again.
Nevertheless, I think to my great girls from the service, who are always very friendly and polite and do a really good job.

Best regards,
Kristina Riedinger (Mangement :-)

Reviewed 27 June 2016

Casual and cozy and child friendly as well (at least for lunch). I had a sausage with mashed potato,which is a normal size. (I am used to see huge serving portion in Germany). Lovely atmosphere with seating outside. You can do the philosopher's walk from the old town and end up here for lunch.

Kristina R, Inhaber at Le Coq, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Dear SheemaE,

thank you for your Feedback, which was helpful for us!

à bientôt,
Kristina Riedinger & Tobias Semann

Reviewed 14 May 2016

Typically French tables, namely very small, we were 5 crammed in a very small corner, food was good service was a bit fragmented but very cheerful staff.

1  Thank jonxled
Tobias S, Inhaber at Le Coq, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2016

Dear jonxled,

Thanks for rating us! Yes, it is right, that our restuarant is really small and that is sometimes not easy to find enough place for more than 4 people at one table (especially on the Weekend, when the restaurant is really full...) but we try our best - and this is was the typical French Bistro atmosphere should be: small, cozy and getting in touch with your neighbour :-) We would be glad, when you visit us again!

à bientôt,
Tobias Semann & Kristina Riedinger

Reviewed 18 February 2016

We have eaten at Le Coq several times in the past and this time I was disappointed. I ordered the onion soup, which was ok. It lacked the dark brown broth, crusty bread and melted cheese which I am use to, instead a somewhat tasteless broth with a few croutons and a few pieces of shredded cheese was served. I also ordered the sea bass which could have been very good if it wasn’t served over some type of sweet potatoes puree. It lacked flavor, and simply made little sense to me to accompany the fish. My husband has the lamb which was good, not as good as it had been in the past, but good. I skipped dessert and opted to have a bite of my husband’s creme brûlée, which was also good.

I am sad to say that this may have been the last time dining at Le Coq and instead will to go to our favorite restaurant, Oskar’s in Altstadt.

Tobias S, Inhaber at Le Coq, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2016

Dear ctnurse,

I'm sorry to hear that apparently the level was not quite as good as you are used to from us. Actually we have our own recipe book that was developed by our Chef de cuisine which is a must to stick on it for our Cooks while preparation and cooking... therefore I can not explain why it was different this time, but I will promise to look after what is going on. What I can explain is that when a component like our parsley root purree is sold out and we have every component of the dish except this, we replace that with another sweet purree which we think it is a good replacement...But I can understand that this is a personal taste. Nevertheless it is a pity, that although you said the dinner was good and ok you will not give us another chance even though you told us every time before it was more than good... But I am with you when you say that Oskar's is a good Restaurant :-)

Thankk you for rating us,
Tobias Semann & Kristina Riedinger