“Sufficient for one night”

Ibis Karlsruhe Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #3 of 61 Hotels in Karlsruhe
GreenLeadersBronze level
Auckland
“Sufficient for one night”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We stayed to take the train to Paris the next morning. Rooms are rather basic, but OK, check in and out was smooth, and breakfast adequate for the price. Only complaint: our room faced the train station, and as it was rather warm, we left the windows open (air con did not seem to do anything, and usually, we are not so fond of it anyway). Yet this let to the room being rather noisy - not so much of the train noise, but the station announcements travelled into our room. If you stay, make sure you get a room to the other site.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We only stayed one night as we switched hotels because Ibis was closer to the train station. But the rooms were clean and modern, although a little tight, especially the bathroom, but the shower was excellent and the beds were comfortable. It is in a great location, right next to Karlsruhe train station, so perfect for trams, busses and trains. Our window faced an outdoor platform of the train station which was not ideal but double glazed windows minimised any noise. Also, located opposite the beautiful Karlsruhe zoo. Unfortunately internet was not included in the rooms but there are two computers in the lobby free of charge. We didn't get to have breakfast as we left at 6am but there was an option to have an early breakfast which began at 4.30am, so the option was good to have. Staff were friendly enough but it seemed customer service was not their priority. However, my experience was good and standard for this type of hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Sweden
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I like Ibis and usually tries to stay at their hotels.
If I remember right, below are my experiences of this hotel.
When arriving, one of the two female receptionists (she had hair coloured blond and long nails) asked for my name. Since the name is usually hard for foreigners to hear and spell, I politely handed her my VISA card to read the name from. She reacted with a negative and almost rude "So you can't say it?", which was in contrast with the way receptionists usually react. I responded with a surprised "Oh, sorry, just trying to make things easier", but got no response. Not a very nice receptionist at all, whatsoever, lacking social skills. The other one was slightly better.
If I remember right, doors were very noisy. The cleaning started very early in the morning (7:15?), despite checkout being at noon. I had wanted to sleep to 9:30, but it was impossible.
Regarding breakfast, I rarely eat breakfast at hotels (prefering other solutions), so I have no comment on it.
During checkout, there was a new female (new in the meaning of not being the same as the ones last night) at the reception. I put a complaint to her about the cleaning making it impossible for me to sleep, asking why they start it so early. So responded well, and the conversation got along fine. She was more polite and socially skilled than the ones from the night before, asking if I had seen the town/centre, etc.. I asked for a map, and she helpfully pointed out things on it (just like most receptionists usually do).
I could also use a computer with Internet there (for free, if I remember right).
During my trip, I stayed at a hotel where I thought parking was free but at checkout found out it was not , but I don't remember if that was this hotel. I advice you to ask before you park.

If starting at 3, the rude receptionst made it become 2, and the noisy cleaning 1, but Internet access and the receptionist add 1-2 points, ending up in either or 3 (I have to think a little more before deciding).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 18 June 2010

This Ibis is located very near to the Hauptbahnhof (central station). Downtown is a 5 min tram ride or a 15 min walk. The zoo is just opposite.
The rooms are very Ibis-typical, good beds, fully dark blinds, a long but small desk from one room side to the other under the window. Asked and got a room facing the street, not noisy whatsoever.
The bathroom is one of these fully plastic, all-in-one extra ones stand in the room.
Breakfast is 10€ and worth it incl. scrambled eggs, espresso and fresh fruit.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Groton, MA USA
Reviewed 15 June 2010

This is a fairly average hotel by European standards. Its a very old building that has been remodelled. The rooms are very small. The bathrooms are these all-plastic modular units that take-up about 30% of the space. It is litearally up against the train station physically and if you leave the windows open you can hear all the traffic, platform announcements, etc. With the window closed it was reasonably quiet in my room although some of my colleagues complained. The A/C barely works so on a hot day you probably will be uncomfortable (again fairly standard for Germany). It is inexpensive and very near the train station. There was also car parking which was fairly resonably priced. The staff was helpful but overhwhelmed by the size of our group. The main attractiion here is the value which they make fairly obvious by the large electric sign out front displaying the current room price.

I guess I don't have any major complaints although I still prefer the hotels over by the Kongresscentrum (Novatel, Queens) to the Ibis.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We booked this hotel for a one night stay after visiting EuropaPark with a group of friends. The hotel is located right next to the main train station, neighbouring with post office. Parking is available for a fee (about EUR 7,-) in a courtyard next to the hotel. Lobby of the hotel is very nice, modern and looks like brand new. Reception staff was very helpful and check-in smooth. Rooms are standard, very clean with wooden floors, comfy bed and after a stay in France - large bathrooms :-) Centre (Marktplatz, Europaplatz, Chateau) is some 20min walk along the ZOO, alternatively you can catch a tram (for EUR 2,10) which stops right in front of the hotel and takes you there in 5mins. Altough we were a bit worried about the noise from the railway station, we could sleep well even with half opened window facing it directly. If coming to Karlsruhe, will very probably stay here, although it is a bit further from the centre...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Székesfehérvár
Reviewed 11 December 2009

There was no heating in the first days. It was too close to the Railway station, we can not sleep well. The cleaning is awful.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business