“Outstanding Staff”

Ranked #8 of 61 Hotels in Karlsruhe
Mableton, GA
“Outstanding Staff”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Spent a night in Karlsruhe before returning to the states via Stuttgart. This was a convenient location less than an hour's drive (depending on traffic conditions) from the Stuttgart airport. The location is in the city center, and there is a major tram stop right outside the front door. Parking is also available, though a bit pricey at 17 euros per day. The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant, and provided us with information for an afternoon visit to a location just 15 minutes away via tram that we would not have been aware of otherwise. They also offered us to go breakfast bags as we needed to leave early for the airport. We had a very good meal in the restaurant, which was appreciated as the weather outside had turned bad. Room was comfortable, but not remarkable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Hebrew first
Tennessee
Reviewed 18 November 2013

As Renaissance properties go this one was not as up to snuff as others. I might have been a little more complimentary but of the 16 nights on the trip, this hotel was the most expensive by far. The food at dinner and at breakfast in the morning were superb. But I was hot and this made it difficult to sleep. I would say the front desk while professional was not overly friendly. Although I expected a complimentary breakfast because of my Marriott status, this was not expressed during checkin ( when I checked out I said I had eaten breakfast and they said then - it was free for me). I paid 60% more than Renaissance in Dusseldorf.

Maybe next time to this area - I will try local hotel

Room Tip: Since there is construction out front, pick a room off the back.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The worst Marriott I've stayed at.

I realize one must modify expectations and standards for European hotels compared to their U.S. counterparts; yet when choosing a Marriott property the expectations should not be diminished by a half.

The hotel has no control over the street construction and resulting problems navigating around the property. The hotel can try and make the best of it. The street on the East side of the building is tore up and down to one lane, making access to the entrance and even the hotel parking lot very very difficult. There is zero signage or suggestion where to go or how to access a place to get checked in and parking access.

The room was Euro-small and properly appointed, but the heat had been turned on and no adjustment to the thermostat could turn it off. The evening was in the low 70's and the last thing the already warm room needed was a non-stop furnace. Upon discussion with the front staff they said, "we can't fix it, please take this knob for your window and open it as much as possible…hopefully it will cool down tonight". Wifi was slow and challenging, and noise from neighbors was certainly more than I am used to at even lesser hotels.

The following morning, instead of the usual fast check out with the bill under the door or even checking out via the TV, you had to go to the front desk. I didn't think much about it until I arrived downstairs and found a line of 18 people all waiting to check out as well. The line grew further during my progress to the counter. I'm not sure if this was normal, but having only two people working the front desk was ridiculous. Total time from entering the lobby until I was able to leave the lobby toward the garage was 26 minutes. It was the topping for an annoying stay and certainly not the standards I expected from a Marriott property. I say that as a Gold member who was a Platinum the three years previous.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ChrisBtBrim
Chicago
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My family and I were touring Germany and reserved two rooms at the Renaissance using "Marriott points". We were very pleased with the level of concierge service we received in gathering information on the train schedule, their happy attempts at speaking English to make us feel comfortable, and the quality standard of the rooms. Very clean, very comfy. The hotel is located right across from shopping, so grabbing a pastry in the morning on the way to sight-seeing is easy, and it's a short walk to the zoo and to the train station. In particular we chose Karlsruhe because it was only an hour's drive to Strassborg, France - which we drove to for a fantastic dinner along the canal. Sometimes it's nice to go to the cities which aren't as heavily traveled - Karlsruhe was a great central location for us, and the Renaissance was a really nice hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have been there twice now and I know I'll be back. The rooms are great, the food is great. Right across the street, inside the mall, there's a really good Chinese restaurant too. Marriott has never disappointed me and this place is another great example of a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: It's all good.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Although there is no lounge the hotel compensates a lot: free breakfast, free drinks at bar, free minibar, and discount at the restaurant. Actually, I'd prefer this benefit over the lounge.

The hotel is in the city center so be prepared to pay for parking if you drive to it. It is however reasonable for 17 Euros and below the hotel. I'd prefer free but it's Europe and parking in the city never is free.

Aside from the construction in front of the building the hotel provides a quiet atmosphere for sleep and rest. The beds are comfortable and the pillows (6) are extremely supportive. Thank you for having a pillow menu.

I stayed in a standard room which was fine for two for an overnight stay. The bathroom is standard tub/shower combination but offers nice bath products.

The hotel reception is extremely warm and helpful at offering suggestions for entertainment and activities.

The WiFi is free for Gold members and above and provided excellent speeds during all times of the day and night.

Breakfast is served till 11a on most days except Sunday. The selection was quite good and plentiful towards the end of breakfast.

Overall I'd definitely stay at this hotel again. This hotel definitely exceeded my expectations and lived up to Marriott standards.

Room Tip: Courtyard side as the street in front of the hotel is being repaired.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Decent place to stay. Grocery across the street. seemed a little sketchy area or at least down one of the streets. The servers and bar staff were great - highly recommend staying at the bar to eat instead of venturing out. The shower can be a little tricky - not typical in US. We ate downstairs here with out tour group and it was the worst meal we had out of 16 days (cold and not tasty) - BUT the food upstairs looked so much better

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple