“Racially insensitive manager called customer "stupid"”

Acora Hotel Karlsruhe
Ranked #30 of 61 Hotels in Karlsruhe
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We arrived at noon time on the hottest day (95 degree F) of this season after a long plane and then train ride with our 8-year-old who was hot, exhausted, and not feeling well. We were told to wait for 1.5hrs for our room to be ready. We waited in the street outside the building of our assigned room with 2 heavy suitcases and various backpacks. We asked the manager, a woman with waist length hair, for permission to keep the luggage inside the building of our assigned room during the wait. "Absolutely not," the manager responded sternly. She said we were only allowed to wait inside the hot and stuffy breakfast room by her office in the hotel receptionist area on a street different from our building. When I explained to her our situation, she said to me without blinking, "That's stupid." Then she repeated the s word, all with my 8-year-old right by my side. I was shocked. I have never encountered anything like this in my life. I explained to her that in the US, even children much younger than my child are taught not to use the s word. "We are in Germany and we use this word," she replied. Then she said she didn't want to repeat the word but she had to say it and she started uttering a word in German. Karlsruhe is a lovely city. It is my hope that the manager can go through some cultural and racial sensitivity training so her behavior can be more befitting for this wonderful city.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank WorldTrekker101

Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel by accident on our way through Karlsruhe. The location seemed dowtown-ish. The streets are very tight and its hard to find a place to park. I think the hotel has parking but don't quote me on that. We got a top floor room which had an entry way where the bathroom and kitchen were located in. Fully stocked kitchen. Separate room with a desk, table and tv plus access to a small balcony that faced the back of the hotel. The bed was in an upstairs loft area that has very odd stairs leading to it. There was a skylight above the bed. Very clean and quite. If i ever go to Karlsruhe again, i would stay here!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed 5 night for a business trip, overall extremely happy with stay.

Pros: Very nice neighborhood, REWE supermarket across the road so it is convenient to get food (I had a loft and a kitchenette). Also nice beergarden on the Waldstraße. It is a close walk to town and shops (down the Waldstraße). My loft was spacious, the stairs are a bit steep as someone has observed. Had a balcony looking out to the back, felt like part of the neighborhood.

Cons: Not so close to public transport, bit of a walk to the closest tram. I was lucky that it didn't rain on my arrival and departure so I wheeled my bag from the train station (roughly 2km). The LCD TV is in the kitchen while in the bedroom a CRT of ~15'' is placed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2013

After 4 nights. I booked a single room and was lucky to get a loft maisonette, even though the stairs to the bed are IMO very dangerous. Beware the elderly or young children. I had a very nice breakfast each morning for eleven euro, well worth it with a good selection of food which would cover most people's needs. The hotel offers 15 mins free wifi on their computer daily BUT on two days because of a conference it was not available to me, very disappointed. You can buy wifi for your own computer but 12 euros a day!!!!! Luckily Starbucks just down the road with very efficient wifi for the price of a drink! Now to reception staff, I agree with former posters, they are, especially one of them very off hand and with "attitude" which translates to rudeness. On settling my account she asked if I had had anyone else in my supposed to be single room, There were two single beds. Crikey surely after 4 nights they would have seen if I had anyone in there. The breakfast ladies were very pleasant so why are the reception staff so bad? This needs sorting.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank naej
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Tiny rooms, way overpriced for what they are and the staff are beyond rude. So much so that when I first posted this review I was threatened by the manager to remove it.
Totally disgusting hotel, I wouldn't recommend it to my dog and would rather stay on a park bench.
The kitchens are a joke, 2 rings built into the sink, there is no oven (although there is a microwave), tv is a 14" not even a flat screen.
Truly, truly appalling.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Avoid at all costs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I stayed here in 2008,but writing the review now since i have just started writing review in tripadvisor.Its a nice cosy hotel.I stayed herefor more than two months.The room was really nice ,neat and clean,it was a sevrice room where i had a small kitchen area.It was close to a supermarket and on the opposite side there was cyber cafe where u can get international calling card.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I stayed 4 nights, in very chilly December, in one of the 4th floor maisonettes facing the rear. It was quiet and comfortable. Just 3 minutes walk to Muhlberger Tor tram stop, perfect for my travel to Bruker, and yet only 10 minutes walk to the centre.

The reception is in a separate area from the main hotel and is nothing more than an office, there are no frills here. The staff were friendly and courteous and spoke English which helped me a lot.

The room had a basic small shower room and toilet. There was a mini kitchenette with microwave, hob, sink, fridge, utensils. This was very handy.

A lounge with comfy chair, table and chair, writing desk and chair with a TV. a wardrobe. A door out to a small balcony with chairs to sit out - but not in these temperatures.

The bedroom was up a set of space saving stairs, they took a bit of getting used to and I was not entirely happy coming down. If you are infirm avoid these rooms.

Very comfortable beds with duvet and pillows. Another TV. During my stay both if the old style TVs were replaced, the downstairs one became a 19" flat screen HD but mostly German channels so I stuck with CNN and BBC World.

The breakfast was adequate, with everything that I could want.

Checkout was efficient.

If you are on a budget then this hotel is perfectly good.

• Stayed: December 2012