“Average 3*”

Ranked #29 of 61 Hotels in Karlsruhe
Prague, Czech Republic
“Average 3*”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed in one of the "pent house" apartments for almost a week. The bed was very small and short which came as surprise since I am not really tall person. The stairs were extra narrow and very steep. On the other hand, the staff kept the room very clean and the balcony was very convenient and had a nice quiet area view.

The hotel is on very nice park street in Karlsruhe, Sophienstrasse, and close to the river Alb with great running tracks.

Sadly, the staff at the reception desk were neither helpful nor smiley. I did not have the breakfast since the Hatz backerei is only 1 min by bike and has the best "Schokogipfel" in the town, but the fellow guests said the Acora breakfast was very tasty and rich...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times and always found it nice. The apartments in the annex are roomy and very comfortable. I especially like the fact that there is a small kitchen attached. The hotel does serve a breakfast for 11 euros but I prefer to use the kitchen and get a few items from the REVE around the corner. The hotel is an easy walk to the center of the shopping and tourist district. Note that there is no air conditioning in the rooms, but most rooms have a balcony with a door and another window to let in a cool breeze.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
India
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I was on a business trip to Karlsruhe and one of my main hurdle is that I am a vegeterian. This hotel was recommended by one of my business contacts.

It took only 7-9 euros by taxi to reach this hotel from Hbf (railway station). The hotel is in the heart of karlsruhe city (sophienstrasse) and the city centre is walking distance. You can also catch tram very closeby. About the hotel, a plus point is that they have 24 hrs reception which can assist you in checkin.

The rooms were neat and clean and very comfortable. The best part was the kitchennette in the room itself. The kitchen had an electric stove, microwave, utensils and a wash basin to cook your own food !!! I took some ready to eat packets and the kitchen was so useful, I did'nt have any problem in preparing my own food, within minutes ! The supermarket (REWE) is also just opposite to this hotel.

The only negative part is that Wifi is chargeable !

Room Tip: you can choose a room with kitchen.
US
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We arrived at noon time on the hottest day (95 degree F) of this season after a long plane and then train ride with our 8-year-old who was hot, exhausted, and not feeling well. We were told to wait for 1.5hrs for our room to be ready. We waited in the street outside the building of our assigned room with 2 heavy suitcases and various backpacks. We asked the manager, a woman with waist length hair, for permission to keep the luggage inside the building of our assigned room during the wait. "Absolutely not," the manager responded sternly. She said we were only allowed to wait inside the hot and stuffy breakfast room by her office in the hotel receptionist area on a street different from our building. When I explained to her our situation, she said to me without blinking, "That's stupid." Then she repeated the s word, all with my 8-year-old right by my side. I was shocked. I have never encountered anything like this in my life. I explained to her that in the US, even children much younger than my child are taught not to use the s word. "We are in Germany and we use this word," she replied. Then she said she didn't want to repeat the word but she had to say it and she started uttering a word in German. Karlsruhe is a lovely city. It is my hope that the manager can go through some cultural and racial sensitivity training so her behavior can be more befitting for this wonderful city.

5 Thank Disappointed137

Travellers are raving about these Karlsruhe hotels

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel by accident on our way through Karlsruhe. The location seemed dowtown-ish. The streets are very tight and its hard to find a place to park. I think the hotel has parking but don't quote me on that. We got a top floor room which had an entry way where the bathroom and kitchen were located in. Fully stocked kitchen. Separate room with a desk, table and tv plus access to a small balcony that faced the back of the hotel. The bed was in an upstairs loft area that has very odd stairs leading to it. There was a skylight above the bed. Very clean and quite. If i ever go to Karlsruhe again, i would stay here!

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed 5 night for a business trip, overall extremely happy with stay.

Pros: Very nice neighborhood, REWE supermarket across the road so it is convenient to get food (I had a loft and a kitchenette). Also nice beergarden on the Waldstraße. It is a close walk to town and shops (down the Waldstraße). My loft was spacious, the stairs are a bit steep as someone has observed. Had a balcony looking out to the back, felt like part of the neighborhood.

Cons: Not so close to public transport, bit of a walk to the closest tram. I was lucky that it didn't rain on my arrival and departure so I wheeled my bag from the train station (roughly 2km). The LCD TV is in the kitchen while in the bedroom a CRT of ~15'' is placed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Southport, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2013

After 4 nights. I booked a single room and was lucky to get a loft maisonette, even though the stairs to the bed are IMO very dangerous. Beware the elderly or young children. I had a very nice breakfast each morning for eleven euro, well worth it with a good selection of food which would cover most people's needs. The hotel offers 15 mins free wifi on their computer daily BUT on two days because of a conference it was not available to me, very disappointed. You can buy wifi for your own computer but 12 euros a day!!!!! Luckily Starbucks just down the road with very efficient wifi for the price of a drink! Now to reception staff, I agree with former posters, they are, especially one of them very off hand and with "attitude" which translates to rudeness. On settling my account she asked if I had had anyone else in my supposed to be single room, There were two single beds. Crikey surely after 4 nights they would have seen if I had anyone in there. The breakfast ladies were very pleasant so why are the reception staff so bad? This needs sorting.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo