“One of the better hotels in Karlsruhe”
Review of Der Blaue Reiter

Der Blaue Reiter
Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Karlsruhe
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Karlsruhe is a small city, we went there for a romantic getaway, to see the opera and to go to the spa in Baden-Baden.
The only really negative point was the ugly view we had towards a construction site.
All other aspects were fine. The room was renovated, modern, big enough, and the bathroom very nicely designed, and most of all: clean. Staff was friendly throughout.
We were happy with the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Marcus_Fraenkle, Manager at Der Blaue Reiter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear "Nipa27"!

Thank you for your friendly feedback. Unfortunately we couldn’t avoid the view of the nearby construction site. After the timely completion of the construction work, the view of the neighbor's house, will be even more beautiful than before! We look forward to your next stay!

Have a good time,

Marcus Fränkle

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Karsruhe/Durlach is not the sort of place one chooses to go to but goes to out of necessity. The place has no qualities other than to make you feel fortunate to have come from somewhere else and shortly to be going somewhere else again.

The hotel, however, is good. It is modern with comfortable rooms, a good breakfast buffet and secure underground car parking. If I ever have to go to Karlsruhe again, and let's hope that never happens, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

The hotel is relatively modern. Has good sized rooms (for Europe). The rooms are modern with comfortable beds. The bathrooms are also very good. The breakfast is plentiful and very good. The hotel is located in a suburb (Durlach) and you can take the train to the city center. Great breakfast and great room. My only irritation was the internet access. As a business person processes a lot of email, ... the internet was much to unreliable. Kept loosing the connection and the speed was SLOW. With a decent internet connection they would be close to perfect.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Marcus_Fraenkle, Manager at Der Blaue Reiter, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Hendrik,

At first, thank you for the good review and you mostly had a comfortable stay with us.
We know about the problem with the internet connection. And we really apologize for it. We are in contact with our technician. He tries very much to solve the problem. We hope that it is ready soon.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel and you won’t have any problems with the Internet connection.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Modern design, nice and clean rooms, the staff were very kind and helpful, great breakfast with lots to choose from and very nice micro brewery beer garden next door. Will certainly return on my next trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Alonseg,

Thank you for the good review. We are pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us.

We are looking forward to see you again in our hotel and also in the beer garden next door :) .

Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed for a 3 days whilst on Business. The hotel staff were very friendly and assisted me by supplying multiple travel adaptors after I had forgotten mine. The location is very convenient for the bars and cafes of Durlach plus the tram service in to central Karlsruhe. The room was small but functional and very clean. The main hotel bar is quiet and serves a good verity of food. The bar directly attached to the hotel has an excellent atmosphere and servers a great selection of German food and beverages. Should I return to Durlach I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Marcus_Fraenkle, Manager at Der Blaue Reiter, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Ross!

You enjoyed the stay at our hotel? Nice to hear that!
Thank you very much for your feedback and the time you have taken yourself.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again.
Have a good time until then.

Your team of the hotel der blaue reiter

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed a week here for business. The hotel was a very pleasant surprise given how small Durlach is. The staff were very friendly and always helpful. The room was a bit small but standard for European hotels I guess. Overall I was very impressed by the property. My only complaint I guess is that while the location was convenient to the company office, there's not much to do in Durlach itself. Actually there's not much to do in Karlsruhe either..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bimal P
Calpe1, Manager at Der Blaue Reiter, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Thank you very much – We are happy to know that our guests have enjoyed the stay in our hotel.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again, if you visiting Durlach for business.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I was in Karlsruhe on business, visiting an office in Durlach, which is a quaint, medieval town with outdoor cafes and cobbled streets. I stayed twice over the summer at Hotel der Blaue Reiter, which is a unique boutique hotel in Durlach. The location is convenient, about a five minute walk from the Karlsruhe-Durlach train station, and with easy access to the restaurants and businesses along Durlach's main street.

My experiences with the hotel varied a bit between the two visits.

On my first visit, I was booked into a room in the hotel's new annex building, called Kubus. This building is down the street about a hundred yards from the main hotel building, on the opposite side of the street. It has its own entrance and parking. The room I stayed in was very large by European hotel room standards, with a beautifully-appointed bedroom, work area, and bathroom, as well as a balcony. I felt like I was staying in a small apartment instead of a hotel room. The downside of this location was that it did not have wireless Internet (wired only) and required a walk to the main hotel for breakfast. But otherwise, it was a good room.

On my second visit, I stayed in a room in the main building. What a difference! The room was much smaller, less nicely appointed, and the bathroom was tiny. There was no power outlet near the bed (for charging my phone which doubles as an alarm clock), but there was WiFi Internet available. Aside from the disappointingly small size of the room, the big positive on this stay was the convenience of being in the main building and being able to zip downstairs to breakfast and return to my room to get ready for my day.

In both cases, I felt safe and slept well. Everyone I met from the hotel staff was friendly and competent, whether front desk, room service, housekeeping, or breakfast staff. I would stay at this hotel again on any further trips to Karlsruhe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in "Kubus" if you want space to spread out.