“Wonderful neighborhood restaurant!”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Portuguese Restaurant Casa do Jose
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

One rarely thinks of Portuguese food in Germany, and especially not in Karlsruhe... That said, this is a wonderful small restaurant serving Portuguese dishes! The owner is the primary waiter, and the love of classic Portuguese food is reflected in everything they do. From the tasteful Faldo music to the excellent food, the unique ports, this was one of the most pleasurable evenings I have had in a long time! Every dish was outstanding, and a labor of love by the owners (a large family operation). I can't say enough about what a wonderful complete experience this was. Karlsruhe is lucky to have this restaurant, which would be a gem in almost any city of the world. Can't say enough good things about this restaurant...

1  Thank Tbills4

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We were lucky to have a table early at pm as it was otherwise full booked. An excellent staff member suggested food to us as the menu was in German which we could not completely understand. He also suggested wine and beer which were excellent. The price was I would say a bit less expensive than back in NZ as a comparison. I paid approx NZ$21 for my main of pork and mussels in a broth with small potatoes, yum.
My daughter had the soup which was leek and potato with a strong chorizo flavour which she loved. The hers had the pork and beef with both saying they were very good.

It seemed to be a casual type place with some families but also a mix of business people dining after work.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank Robs014
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Was fully reserved when we arrived so needed to persuade the waiter to fit us in for an hour. Great food, friendly staff and inexpensive given the quality and ambience.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

If you are looking for something different, then try this restaurant. The service is very good with friendly staff who are efficient. Good atmosphere, nice menu selection and reasonable cost (if slightly higher) compared to other similar establishments. Nice choice of wine - and the suggestion by the waiter to meet our taste was spot on. The meal was nicely cooked and the serve quantity was sufficient. Overall, a good alternative to German restaurants for an enjoyable night. (Book ahead - the restaurant was full, with a queue waiting on a Saturday night. Always a good sign of popularity).

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I am used to Travel to Karlsruhe and if you are not a fan (or get tired) of the German food it's difficult to find a great place to eat. I think I found a good alternative with this restaurant. Good service and good recommendation (Food and wine) from the waiter. All we tasted was really good. I can recommend the cod and the octopus. And the dessert, a biscuit cake/foam was also really tasty.
For sure I will come back each time I am staying in Karlsruhe.

1  Thank Ayelo