Alfa Hotel Karlsruhe
US$83
US$57
US$49
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 August 2012

An unusually large triple room. Very clean with modern decor.
The mattress was too firm which meant a terrible nights sleep for me.
A great location in the pedestrian area with many restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a wonderful time. The room was quite spacious with an extra couch and area for your luggage and clothes (room 206). The room was very clean and the cleaning lady made up the room very well the next day. A number of reviews mentioned that it could be a bit loud in the evenings because of the bars around the hotel. This is because it is very central so if you really want to explore the city by foot for shopping, sightseeing, night out, it's the best location. The noise is really tolerable at least from my side of the hotel. Otherwise you can close the windows. There is an electric fan in the room as well. Service at the front desk was friendly and helpful for any requests. The lady at the breakfast room should be taught a bit on friendliness and courteousness especially she is the first person the guests see in the morning. Breakfast has a wide selection of breads, cereals, cheese,ham, eggs etc.

Room Tip: Room 206 , spacious and on the othe side with less bars in front of it
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beachcomber2006
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed at Hotel Alfa for 3 nights, in October 2010.
We chose it because of its location, it is in the center of Karlsruhe.
The room was large and tidy, but that is about everything positive I can say about it. During the day till evening there is a constant noise coming from the outside. Everything about that hotel looks used and outdated. We stayed in a room at the end of the corridor and the internet did not work at all, because it was too far from the router. We were able to use it during the morning, when having breakfast.
Breakfast was ok, lot of choices, but nothing good in particular.
I would recommend this hotel for those who want to stay in the center of the city, but I am sure there are better options.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Cristian N
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed quite few times at this hotel for the past few years and recently back from Karlsruhe staying at this hotel too. Hotel is nice and cosy, near to the center of the city thus full of shops around. Not forgetting pubs too so some might consider it too noisy.

Breakfast is nice and service good. Room is small but comfortable. Used to provide laundry services but now no longer. Had to walk 2 streets away to find the nearest one.

Good thing is that WIFI is available and free but only limited to 1 device. I've logged into the internet using my laptop and my iPhone would not be able to use the wifi even though I've switched off my laptop. Used to be available for all devices in the past.

I would recommend this hotel for those who likes to have amentities and shops near them but not for those who have problem with noise though.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor and facing inside, not facing the streets where the pubs are.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I travel to Karlsruhe several times a year. I stay at this hotel, the Marriott Renaissance and the Novotel. The Alfa is my favorite hotel. The other two are higher end, but don't offer the great location of the Alfa. They have nicer decor and in-house restaurants and bars, but I'd rather have the choices of food that I get at the Alfa.

The Alfa is clean, the staff is friendly, and there are a dozen restaurants (Italian, Spanish, German, Mexican, Greek and other cuisines) and a couple of bars within 50 meters from the front door of the hotel. Its nightly rates are lower than the other two hotels, and you get free wireless internet for as many devices as you need. Internet costs extra at the others, and at least at the Renaissance, I can only use one device at a time unless I pay extra for additional devices (not sure how this is handled at the Novotel).

I also use the public trams, and this hotel is a block away from where most of the lines go by so I can go most places without having to change trams.

A couple of things that keep me from giving it the highest rating include the lack of air conditioning (I don't stay here in the summer), the small showers and the lack of laundry services. You have to go to an independent laundry shop if you need anything cleaned. It is usually not a problem for my travels, but I have had a time or two where I would have liked to just drop something off at the front desk. You also need to tell them ahead of time if you need underground parking, because parking is somewhat limited. The parking spaces are very tight too.

Room Tip: When you make a reservation, ask to get a quiet room. There are times when there is a lot of noise outside, with loud music or just a lot of activity. If you are in an outside room this could be a problem. The quiet rooms face an inside courtyard so you don't hear anything going on outside.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business