“Awesome breakfast, good location”

Dorint Kongresshotel Mannheim
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Mannheim
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Best hotel to stay for more than two days in Mannheim. Good location, in the city center. Several tram stops close to the hotel. A 10 minutes walk from the Main Train Station.
Rooms are very good in everything, I would only say too soft mattress and pillow.
Staff is friendly and helpful, proffesional and polite attitude.
Hotel gym is the best I had ever seen, placed in ground-floor with window-walls with views to the street. Sauna facilites are also very good.
Breakfast has a massive variety of everything, one of the best hotel breakfast I have experienced ever.
As a negative point, no wifi (at least not included in the room fare)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel three, four times in the last two years and I actually like it.

Advantages of this hotel:
- Perfect location and walking distance to the main trainstation (800 meters)
- Breakfast is really good with attention to the details. The focus here is German/European food
- Small but well equipped gym to do some exercise
- Counter staff is really efficient and well trained so checking in/out is fast.
- Ironing room on 5th floor is a somewhat unique idea but has three ironing boards and all the paraphernalia
- Minibar was free in my package - unfortunately nobody told me and I only saw this on checkout
- Hotelbar is very nice, but there are even nicer places around the Wasserturm nearby

What I did not like:
- Rooms facing the main street are a bit noisy, so make sure to ask for a room facing the quiet other side
- 10 Euros for 24 hours internet is way too much
- A waterboiler and tea are provided in the rooms, but unfortunately no instant coffee

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the main road are much quieter than those facing the road
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed here for 10 days in April '12. My experience in this hotel was quite a good one. Service at the reception was short and sharp. Staffs were polite and helpful when I asked. Other employees (housekeeping/maintenance) all gave short greetings whenever we pass by each other and they're well mannered.

There is wifi in my room with a fee but it's costly so I did not use it. However, I'm happy with the availability of 24-hours business center (2 PC's and a colour printer) free of charge and without limitation. Throughout my stay, there were hardly anyone else using them.

While the comforter is comfortable, the pillows were just little bit thicker than the comforter. At least they were quite big so I could fold them for the height. :D

My room has got no air-condition but this does not bother me during my stay as it was winter. I only needed heater and the room has 2 units.

Room service was good. Though a bit costly, the food quality, presentation and service was good.

Great location.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2012

but not much for amenities. Didn't eat in the hotel (seemed expensive) or use any of the fitness facilities. The beds are OK. No WI-FI and the wired internet was very expensive. Front desk staff were not too friendly - very short and all business. The location is great tho, so if all you want is a clean reasonably priced bed this will do.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WV61
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My stay at Dorint was sponsored by Stuttgart Marketing. While my stay here for the night wasn't spectacular, it wasn't too bad either.

The rooms were spacious, but hey, no air-conditioning?!

The lobby was buzzing with people, not too many to make it seem like a crowd though. Just the right number of people which didn't make it look like you were stuck in a hotel with only two other guests. The Jazz bar on the ground floor is a neat little place to hang out in the evening. It overlooks the busy street.

They've did not have a masseuse at the spa when I visited (they said they were looking for a new one) and neither was there anyone at the sauna room to guide me about the temperatures or anything else. I really did not feel like taking off my robe in that sauna room!

I don't know about the Internet rates, but there was one common computer with Internet which you could use for a while.

I'm on the fence on this one for now, until another visit.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed at the hotel in December 2010 just for 1 night during our German trip. The hotel is rather average but nod bad. Our room was standard. The bathroom was spacious. The hotel is close to train station. We had to chech out early in the morning so didn't get breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I travel to Mannheim at least 3 times per year and have a favorite hotel and a number of runner's up that are good, but not quite as good as my favorite. When I first started this job 7 years ago, I tried the Dorint, because it is a "name" hotel. I hated it then - it's still terrible now.

A colleague accompanied me to a trip to Ludwigshaven (just across the river), and her secretary picked the Dorint for us. Since I hadn't been there in 7 years, and she was convinced it was a good choice, I said nothing. Also, I had heard that it had been renovated in the meantime - could it still be as bad as I remembered??? Yes, oh yes, very very bad.

Where to start? The rooms are gloomy, the staff is indifferent. While the bed is comfortable, the bedding is too short to cover a 6'3" person from toes comfortably covered to the chin.

There is no air conditioning. They did supply a fan, but there is a curious problem with he Dorint - only one electrical outlet in the room is unswitched to the rest of the lights. So if you want to work on your computer and have the fan blowing, it's not possible without having some sort of electrical splitter. (Or you could keep the lights on and unplug one of the lights ...). Similarly, at night, unless you want to sleep with a light on, you need to unplug a few lights to have the fan operate on you all night (which was necessary).

The shower commits one of the ten deadly sins of travel - uneven water temperature due to other customer's usage in other rooms. The towels are the quality you would expect from a scuzzy "afternoon delight" hotel on the outskirts of Scranton, PA (yes, I have been there).

The internet is expensive and slow - further, it had some sort of firewall issue that caused me not to be able to connect with my VPN. Parking is expensive.

While the breakfast is good, it is very expensive. The Lunchtime buffet is extremely expensive and not terribly good. Of course, there are so many alternatives that one should only eat in the hotel if you're unable to get out (which I was awaiting a meeting).

On the good side, it is close to the water tower and many very good restaurants in Mannheim. However, if you really want to stay in this location, there are several very very good other hotels in the area.

And you get all of this for perhaps the most expensive price in Mannheim.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business