“If you like the bugs and the 3rd day chef...”
Review of Hotel Weingartner

Hotel Weingartner
Ranked #23 of 45 Hotels in Mannheim
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This really a review of the hotel and the restaurant. First note, the hotel had bugs crawling almost everywhere, although we didn't see them until after the first night, a bummer, but I'll get to that.

First I'll talk about the restaurant. We made reservations with my friends and my family. Evidently the staff was short-handed and the chef had only been working there for 3 days (not always a bad thing, but it was in this case). The service lasted hours with a few of us not even getting the chance to eat our meals with the rest of the group and one not at all. The part that aggravated me the most was the fact that we asked for a baby seat three times and it was never brought, regardless, we had a spare chair and the child was able to sit for a few minutes at a time.

Back to the room itself, it was a good room, at least that was until the first night. The room was spacious and looked good, but during the night the bugs came out and were literally everywhere. I killed all that I could see and got them away from the beds. Notified hotel staff the following morning and I noticed that most bugs were gone the next evening, they were only in certain areas. By the end of our week I didn't see any at all, except when we got home and we had some friends in our luggage. Finding those bugs made this review from a two to a one and that's not even getting to the service, which was nearly non-existent as nothing was cleaned throughout the week.

I normally don't have issues with guest apartments, this was my first and it was especially bad.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms above the ground floor, request the ground floor or stay in the main hotel a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in across the road in the apts , It was nice and clean with just the right things you need to be independent. You walk across the road for the included breakfast, which is very good. Staff friendly and helpful. The apartment would greatly benefit from some air con as it got very hot up there. we was given a fan to use. We also found the noise from the street woke us quite a bit in the night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We all have problems in our businesses and I believe that what we do about them is more important than the problem. I booked a double room at this hotel and arrived by car late in the evening. The check in clerk told me that the hotel was full but "good news", we were being given a much larger apartment only one minute's walk away. Believing what we were told, we dragged our heavy bags back outside and up the cobbled street following the map we had been given. It turned out to be a long walk, and when we got there there was a flight of stairs to climb. The apartment was quite nice, but it was not what - or more importantly - where, we ordered. Next morning I walked back to the hotel ready to complain loudly. I told the duty manager that if they had told us how far the apartment was I would have used the car. The least they could have done for weary travelers was to have someone carry the bags for us rather then let us haul them over the cobbles ourselves. The manager said we booked an apartment, not a room in the main hotel, but when he checked he agreed that we had actually booked a room in the hotel and apologised profusely for the mix-up. He then reduced the bill by 50% and apologised again. He handled the problem - and me - perfectly and I ended up satisfied. The breakfast was typically continental German and quite good. I would use this hotel again, simply because they own up to their mistakes and fix them as best they can. What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: Make sure when you book that you will get what you chose - a room in the main hotel or an apartment...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I stayed 2 months in nice and cozy apartment with a kitchenette. The apartment was not in the hotel, but in a separate building. Only 35 euro per day breakfast included. Very well connected with both Mannheim city center and Heidelberg, there is a direct tram line (no.5). Staff in the hotel was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Miva999
Reviewed 24 March 2013

What a charming hotel this is! We stayed in an apartment on the top floor with a breathtaking view of Mannheim. The apartment was very spacious with a kitchenette, a fridge and there was even a bottle of Fairy liquid together with a sponge! Breakfast was delicious, the best we've had in Germany. We also had dinner in their restaurant which was reasonably priced but moreover absolutely authentic. Staff spoke good English but they were also very patient with me when I tried to practise my German and made an effort to speak slowly and clearly. We parked our car right outside the hotel with no extra charge and it was a perfect stopover to break up a journey from Rotterdam to Garmisch-Partenkirchen with three young children. We will be making the same journey next year and will definitely book a stay in this hotel. Top class!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GlossopDodge
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We've stayed here twice now during a yearly event we attend in Mannheim. We have never stayed in the main hotel so I cannot say anything about the rooms there, although the building itself is a very charming, 250+ year old timber-frame house. The first year we stayed in an apartment across and a bit down the same road as the hotel. As another reviewer stated, the apartments are not far, but with luggage it would not be so nice to haul there. However, I would just ask the people working in the hotel (all very friendly in my experience) to help with luggage, I am sure they would.
The second time we got apartment #21 and this was deeeeee-lux!! Totally renovated and new with all-new (in 2012) tasteful furniture and kitchen, and a very nice large bathroom with bath, as well as a nice balcony and separate bedroom. Both apartments we stayed in were very quiet, and very reasonably priced (we paid 69 euros / night including breakfast).
The breakfast was basic but good. The waitress in the breakfast room was exceptionally friendly and accommodating. We have a small child and it was child-friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel, at least the apartments.

Room Tip: Apartment 21 is excellent, new, quiet and deluxe! Great value!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PeeJaytwothree
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We booked this hotel as an overnight rest point on our drive home from our holiday destination in Italy. So we only stayed the one night so I can't offer an indepth review over several days. When (if) you book a room with this hotel remember that if you are offered an apartment room it is a 2-3 minute walk from the main hotel building. We had a car so we could drive to the apartment and it was easy to park but if you are on foot then you have to walk with your luggage up to and across the main street and over the tram lines. It would not be a great start to your stay!

The apartments are in a courtyard off the main street very near to the town church. The church clock chimes every quarter hour but thankfully it stops in the evening! Although once it stopped a man started working with an electric saw in the courtyard below. We had Apartment 17 which is at the top of a long series of steps that look to be poorly maintained but there are sensor lights that come on if it is dark. The apartment is spacious and well appointed. There is a kitchenette, dining table, one bedroom and a sofa bed. There was no bath, just a shower cubicle in the toilet. On the afternoon we arrived there was a heatwave - the temperature was 36 degrees. The apartment was at the top of the building so was just way too hot and of course there is no air conditioning. What with the noise outside and the heat we decided to eat out.

We walked back to the main hotel for dinner as it looked like a nice outdoor courtyard area to eat so we decided to eat there. We passed a small bistro/pizzeria just a few doors down from the Apartments on the main street but as we were on our way back from Italy we had enough of pizza! I wish we had gone there instead of the restaurant at the hotel! The menu was very uninspired, particularly for the children. Service was really painfully slow even though the restaurant was not busy. We had enough of the waiting so skipped dessert and I had to go and find someone to pay - I asked if the meal could be put on our room bill but was told no, the restaurant operates separately from the hotel! It would have been useful if they had mentioned this when we checked in. Luckily I had my wallet with me.

We wouldn't use the apartments again - too much of a compromise.

Room Tip: Do not accept Apartments 17 or 18 if it is very hot. It is like sitting in an oven!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family