“Perfect German food”

Dining options: Reservations
Antwerp, Belgium
“Perfect German food”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Despite some improvements the last decade, and hifalutin, as fickle as the weather press write-ups, Germany is not what one could call a gastronomic paradise. Certainly not when restaurants attempt to be, well... internationally gastronomical. Matters become quite different, however, when German restaurants and inns stay close to their regional roots. Meaning, when they offer their guests real German food, as varied, solid and tasty as the many beautiful German regions. At the risk of digging up a cliché, it is when German restaurants remain down to earth that they (sometimes) reach cuisine heaven.
One excellent example is the Mannheim's Henningers Gutsschänke. Rarely, if ever have my dining companions and I been presented with such quality in the Rheinland-Pfalz region, a "land" that I happen to know quite well. We tasted the Pfalz specialities rich in various "Knödel" (dumplings) and meats, among which the for many foreigners repulsive sounding "Saumagen" (pig's stomach), which the erstwhile German chancellor Helmut Kohl delighted in serving his foreign colleagues. In fact, it's simply a delicious if slightly too fatty fried sausage, with no trace of innards.
As a starter, our dining companion chose snails, while my partner and I preferred the far more German marrow dumplings consommé. As a main course came an assortment of Pfalz specialities (sausage, pig's stomach and liver dumplings cooked with house-made sauerkraut) for my companions, while I had a seasonal dish which you truly only can find in West and North Germany, at least in that form, in autumn : chanterelle mushrooms in cream, accompanied by yet another sort of lard and flour dumplings, cooked in a napkin (called "Serviettenknödel").
All these comfort goodies were accompanied by a superb and inexpensive Riesling, which the friendly and helpful lady innkeeper (who has a great sense of humour to boot) recommended us.
The decor, if somewhat of the kitschy rustical sort, was cosy and agreeable.
And contrary to one of your writer's experience, we found the prices most affordable: 100 euros for three including wine is not what I would call expensive nowadays for such a treat.

In short, a great experience, which we hope to renew when we visit Mannheim again - a city, by the way that is worth discovering despite the enormous destruction its centre suffered during WWII.

• Visited August 2014

Lappeenranta, Finland
“Great decorations!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was here with my boyfriend and we totally didn't fit for their normal customer. Young couple, do not speak German. Anyway we got good service in English and the service was much better than food. Beautiful decorations, a lot of wood and pretty doily.

• Visited August 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Go for drinks and perhaps dessert”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was here for a business dinner and I was not paying so my perspective is limited to the food, décor, service and experience over all. Food wise I am not a big fan of German food (see other reviews) so I am a difficult audience to win over in this regard. We were in a group of 20+ on a pre-ordered menu. The décor is ‘traditional’ almost pub or tavern like with heavy dark woods throughout and a low-lit atmosphere. This for a Xmas meal gave a sense of occasion.

We ordered a few sausages and sauerkraut which we split as starters among the group. The sausages were well cooked with glistening meat juices pouring out of the sausages when cut. It was not overly fatty tasting and the texture was high in meat. The sauerkraut was not overly sharp, the cabbage retained some crunch – all of this provided a pleasant contrast to the meatier sausage. All in all it was pretty good for what is essentially sausages and pickled cabbage. I should say that I had a glass of the house Riesling alongside this which was a nice accompaniment. The Riesling is light with a little dryness coming through, almost a green taste. If you like Viognier or Sav Blanc then you would probably enjoy this too. I did not have the red (Shiraz) but I am led to believe this was very drinkable.

Then arrived the real starters. This was a mushroom soup with chunks of mushroom in what resembled a creamy broth. This was a surprise as it was initially described as a chestnut soup. The soup was OK. It lacked depth of flavour which I prefer in a mushroom soup but if you like a subtle mushroom taste without the cloy creamy taste then this would be up your street. It was balanced overall.

Next on the menu was a salad which was a large plate of lambs lettuce with bacon bits and croutons. I am amused that this is a traditional German Christmas course. I suspect it of course isn’t. The salad was touch easily dressed but not unpleasant and the dressing was quite nice and reminiscent of a Caesar’s dressing.

Finally, the main dish was a Goose leg, crispy and served with spiced and braised red cabbage. Overall this was a good dish and one that can be messed up easily especially as goose can be greasy or cooked into goose-flavoured shards. It was neither and the meat gave way easily to gentle pressure with a fork alone. If you’re not a fan of bones then you’re stuffed. Personally I’m not bothered. My vegetarian colleagues ate a plate of spetzel with melted cheese. This struck me as a damning indictment in case you are vegetarian or don’t enjoy goose for German Christmas. This is the German equivalent of a “macaroni cheese” which while not unpleasant would not be out of place in a MAN V FOOD competition somewhere.

Lastly, dessert. And would you believe, perhaps the strongest course. An apple tart with both whipped cream and a ball of vanilla ice cream. The apple tart was a round, open-faced individual portion and looked very much like it was made in-house with a crumbling base. The apples were chunky cut and enough texture to remind you that once upon a time this was a red fruit but sweet, cinnamon, sugar flavour that was strong and distinctive. This was cooked by someone who likes to cook apple tarts. I would come back here for this alone. It is one of the better apple tart I’ve had and was a surprise in comparison with the rest of the menu.

SERVICE: This was quite good for a large group and it’s hard to judge these things when you are easily the biggest table in the restaurant with a lot of people there most of whom don’t speak German. They were patient and obliging.

Would I return? Well for the apple tart yes and perhaps the Riesling (actually both of these might be good together come to think of it) but for anything else? Well when I think about it, perhaps that’s why I was there in the first place. If you wanted to bring people somewhere under the guise of it being typically ‘old’ German then perhaps this place fits the bill. Speaking of the bill, I never saw this but I am led to believe that this place is best enjoyed on an expense account.

• Visited December 2013
North Carolina
“Overpriced Less Than Average Food”
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Terrible service and food not much better. This establishment is great to LOOK at, but not to eat at.