“1 day in Stuttgart”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #126 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Average hotel and very near to center. Rooms clean but a poor furniture.
Anyway for price paid perfect. Very good breakfast. Parking available. Personall at reception very kind. I advise for buisness trips.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed one night at the start of our holiday and another at the end. Difficult to rate because the rooms and therefore the experiences were very different. The first room we had was beautiful and we were very happy. On our last night, it was a very different story. The room was in a different part of the hotel which had not been renovated. When I booked it it was just 5euros less but i did not think that there was a reason for this as the prices seemed to vary according to dates. However, the worst things were in the shower room. The sink was cracked, there was no plug and there was nowhere to place soap and bottles etc in the shower. It was extremely hot - 38 degrees - and there was only a fan, which just moved the warm air about.

Having said all that, the staff themselves were excellent, very helpful and went beyond what they needed to in order to help - certainly the first time round. The second time there was a limit as they couldn't do anything about the deficiencies in the room. The guy went to look at the sink and explained that it was not just the plug that was missing but the whole fitting it would sit on!

The breakfast was very good and varied. Plenty of selection for every taste. The hotel is situated right in the middle of the town and literally 2 minutes walk from the S and U Bahn. I guess if I were to stay there again I would insist on a refurbished room. Had I stayed in the second room the first time round, I would have cancelled the booking for the second night.

One down side that would affect everyone... there is a lift, but it stops in between every floor, so you have to down steps to get to it and then when it stops you have to go up a flight of stairs to get to the floor you want. Worth remembering if you have heavy luggage.

If you have a late flight, they are willing to keep your luggage there for you, till you return and they didn't charge us.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Booking. com doesn't have a rating for this hotel but we found it to be comfortable and in a good location. The breakfast buffet was excellent as well.

The hotel could use some painting and the foyer area is small. Our travel group would have enjoyed a bigger gathering space, but all in all, for the price and the service it was very good.

Room Tip: Europeans celebrating the latest soccer win made sleeping harder for those with a street-side room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia F
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I’ve stayed in this hotel on a business trip, with a limited budget.
The hotel is well located, near an important shopping street and well served by metro. The hotel isn’t new, and although there’s a clear renewal effort the overall look is dated. The breakfast is suited to the German taste, and fresh fruits or vegetables are scarce. For the same price you have best options in Stuttgart. In case they’re booked, the Astoria remains an option, but keep your expectations low.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank vitor96
Reviewed 18 April 2013

... so you do not have really the time to spent in the room.

Let's start with the positive elements: the hotel is
1. central
2. 2 min from a commuter train
3. not that expensive

and move to the negative ones: the hotel
1. urgently requires a renovation (stuck in the 70s /80s)
2. would profite from a friendly staff
3. could be in a quieter neighbourhood
4. could improve its breakfast.
5. have a special standard for cleanliness (unfortunately not the highest)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank WillyHiker
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I recently spent a night with friends in Hotel Astoria on a short city break in Stuttgart. At first I was a little hesitant about booking this hotel as it was so cheap I was afraid we'd end up in a real dump. However, I have to admit the hotel was perfectly adequate for a night. Upon entering the hotel, you can see you're not in a 5-star hotel obviously, but the receptionist was very quick at checking us in and directing us to our room. The rooms are stuck somewhere in the 70's, but reasonably large and clean. Furthermore, the hotel is well located to discover Stuttgart on foot. Hotel wifi worked fine and the breakfast was actually quite good.
I've stayed in hotels that were 10x more expensive than Hotel Astoria, but for its price range it's a perfect hotel. Recommended if you want to stay in Stuttgart on a tight budget. I'm only rating Astoria 3 stars because there are probably many better hotels in Stuttgart - but it gets 5 stars for value.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pjdq
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I can't even write something about the hotel because when I tried to call to reserve a room the receptionist directly said me that she was not able to inform me on the disposibilites because there was a lot of people at the reception of the hotel, then she redirected me to booking.com, to that I answered that I allready tried on booking.com and that the website was not fonctionning well. All she found to say was repeating exactly what she said before and then she hung up on me while I was still talking.

Ridiculous.