“5-star experience”

Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Reviewed 2 June 2012

A truly lovely hotel in the heart of Stuttgart. On the right there is a beautiful park (hence the name of the hotel), on the left the main shopping street lies. Behind the historical centre is. Oh, and the main train station is opposite.

Though the hotel is in the centre of everything, the sleep is great, the city seems to be quiet at night.

The rooms are really spacious and very comfy.

The staff is absolutely great and doesn't make fuss of that the hotel is 5-star.

I would recommend the advance purchase rate to those who think that prices are a bit too much. In this way the stay is totally affordable.

There is only one drawback, to my mind: the wifi is payable. I think such great hotels should make it free of charge.

Nevertheless: one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: I guess, any room will be great, beware though: rooms of the same type sometimes have a bath and som...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank gardt
hotelschlossgarten, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear gardt,

We are very happy with your opionion of our hotel. Thank you for sharing your judgement, which is a pleasure to read.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to Stuttgart soon again.

Sending our best regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed two nights and were happy with this hotel. It is in a superb location: directly across from the main train station, and next to the park. We were lucky to have a corner room with views of both. It has a Michelin-starred restaurant (that I did not eat at) as well as a casual bar/restaurant with a lot of outdoor seating (I did eat here - totally adequate food, a pleasant atmosphere). Staff extremely cordial. Wifi is not free and neither is parking although at E15 per night it wasn't outrageous - and the hotel overall is a good value for the money. The decor is not to my taste (a bit too heavy) but it was certainly clean and comfortable which are far more important. They put a red rose in the bathroom: a nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear CatPacker,

The entire team wishes to than you for your nice description of your stay with us. We are happy that you have enjoyed your time in our hotel and are looking forward to welcoming you back again!

Sending our best wishes,

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Excellent hotel, best my family ever stayed in. The service is exemplary, the facilities are beautiful and extensive. We do a fair bit of travelling in Europe and North America and this hotel could easily put on a course on how to run such facilities !!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear eurojimmy13,

It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments. In the name of the entire team I may thank you for this motivation!

We are very much looking forward to being your host again at the next occasion.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 25 May 2012

This was truly one of the best hotels that we have stayed in. The staff were so helpful and professional, their service was exceptional. The room we had was lovely and spacious with a nice view over Stuttgart. The lady that serviced our room every morning was friendly and kept our room spotless with a fresh rose in our bathroom every morning which we thought was a nice touch. She clearly loved her job and we were very appreciative of her good service. This hotel is very centrally located to the train station and the main shopping area of Stuttgart and a beautiful park full of beautiful buildings perfect for a nice walk. The hotel offered exceptional service prior to our booking, Christian contacted us to arrange tours etc for our pending trip and they are such a professional group that I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Stuttgart. We will definitely stay at this hotel when next in this beautiful city.

Room Tip: we had a room overlooking Stuttgart
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
hotelschlossgarten, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear rosie7585,

We highly appreciate the warm words you have found to describe the stay with us and the service you have enjoyed. In the name of the entire team I may express our gratitude for the extraordinarily positive review.

We are very much looking forward to being your host again when you stay in Stuttgart at the next occasion.

Sending our very best regards,
Yours,

Reviewed 13 May 2012

This is our first stay at a hotel with this level of service - so I don't really have a similar hotel to measure it against. But please do read on, I will detail some specific observations. Staying at Schlossgarten was a choice I made based on its location next to the park and the fact that even though I was to spend almost every day at a conference (FMX 2012), my partner Julie wanted to come along for a vaccation and wanted a nice hotel room to stay in. It was also based very much on the design of their rooms.

For us, food and accomodation on vaccation is something we choose carefully. We like quality, we enjoy some luxury and we enjoy being pampered a bit. But we are not rich or blasé, and we always appreciate good service and communication.

PRE ARRIVAL

We booked a deluxe room - non smoking - for the week from 5th until 12th of may. At first the hotel was full on the last night, but when may came close they found an opening for us. They also helped us set up a rental car agreement with Sixt - probably a hassle for Schlossgarten but great for us:) Both requests were handled by the revenue manager - giving me an impression of a friendly and efficient hands on approach to operating the hotel.

THE HOTEL ITSELF

The hotel is medium sized, and so easy to get around in and you feel personally serviced and not like you are in a factory. The reception area is beatifully decorated in a contemporary and subtle but at the same time classical and warm style. The reception layout is perfect. The only minus with the hotel is that the facade froom the first room floor and up is not very pretty. But as a guest that is no problem:)

SERVICE WHILE STAYING

Although we had asked for a room on one of the upper floors upon ordering, we got one on the first floow. This was rectified upon request on the second day - we got to change from 109 to 709. Great service and flexibility. We packed our things, went to the Mercedes museum with the receptionists help, and the hotel moved our things to the new room when it was ready.

We had one occasion of room service forgetting our order of tea, but otherwise the hotel staff were truly friendly and accomodating. We felt like most ot the other guests looked well off (we probably don't) but we felt treated equally well by the staff. And that is important!

We got a newspaper every morning - international herald tribune which is a newspaper to my liking!

BREAKFAST

Breakfast was not included. The good thing about this is that Stuttgart, and Germany in general, is bakery store HEAVEN. You can get so much good stuff on the streets just outside very cheap.

But we did choose to have breakfast at the hotel two days. Once in the cafe/buffet (same thing in the final phases of their remodelling, apparently) and once with room service. The first choice came in at €46 for two people and the latter at €57 before tips with a few personal choices. I actually think both were too expensive.

Unlike the hotel itself, I do have something to judge the breakfast against. In a hotel in my hometown (Rica Nidelven) is served the best hotel breakfast I have ever been to, judged to be Norways best many years in a row. This is included in a relatively cheap room price (€144) and is superior by quite a stretch to the buffet we got for €46 euros.

I am unsure what the solution would be, but unless they manage to do the breakfast service cheaper I am happy that it is at least an option to use it:)

RESTAURANT

We had ordered a "candle light dinner" at restaurant Schlossgarten, advertised at their booking webpage. From what the staff told me, Schlossgarten used to be the basic restaurant option and Zirbelstube was the michelin star restaurant. Both had now been closed, and the Zirbelstube team had opened the new Gourmet restaurant Schlossgarten.

Guess what they had done with our booking from the old and simplest of the two restaurants - THE RIGHT THING:) Gourmet restaurant Schlossgarten had an arrangement for us that was simply magnificient - of a different league than what we had actually ordered. This sort of service pays off, and Mr and Mrs Diers got to see us once more during our stay - but that is a story for a separate review of their restaurant:) All I will say now is that is was our lives best dinner so far, and that it will allways be remembered. Hopefully we will return as well:)

BAR

Their bar, the "John Cranko lounge" is beautiful. I only had tea there, but Hotel Schlossgarten knows tea and they know how to serve tea! All services in the hotel use the same perfect teapots - draws the tea from loose leaves in a plastic filter that you put in a matching cup once it's done.

I did test the bar waitress on one thing though. I knew that Gourmet restaurant schlossgarten had a collection of very inviting pralines for cofee/tea. And I soooo wanted to taste those, but by the end of our meal I was so full there was no more room for sweets. Regretfully I had to say no.

So when I went for tea at the John Cranko lounge the next day I decided to see what happened if I asked for sweets. "We have none, only a small chocolate", the waitress said. I didn't make any demands, but what I hoped for was of course that she could get me some of those gourmet pralines;) I would gladly have paid for those.

INTERNET

Internet was way too expensive (8 euros per hour or 15 per day I think), and a must for me. They could probably get a service set up much cheaper and include it in the room rate - hotels that are much cheaper have got this.

ROOMS

The deluxe rooms are beautiful. A lounge area for three (four if you use the office chair) with soft and nice seating, and plenty of storage space for clothes and items are some of the high points. Good sized desk and very large bed is also a plus. But most of all the great design! From the colors of the walls through the integration of the furniture to the lovely crown moldings - works positively on your mood.

A service they should probably tell you about on check in is that you can choose from many different flavors of pillow for the bed. We didn't see this before the last night, but we encourage others to check this out!

The room had everything from a small sowing kit to an extra phone. The minibars snacks were a bit expensice, the beer was relatively cheap.

Air condition is noisy (but in no way detrimental to sleep) but works well. Windows open to the beatiful outdoors were happy people play in the park:) There were two windows, but they could have been larger.

Minuses are that the bed was way too hard for Julie and that the room lacked water boiler and iron+board.

HOUSEKEEPING

The housekeepers were very flexible with timing, spoke english, were friendly, and did a great job! Everything was refilled each day, including the sowing kit (which came in handy to pop out my ipads micro sim one day), complementary water bottle and small chocolate from the hotel:)

First hotel I have ever been to where they visit your room twice a day. The second visit always included folding the bedsheets in a welcoming way for the night and drawing the curtains, and probably more. I don't know if twice a day housekeeping is a required feature for five star hotels, but it just seems a bit inefficient for us.

LOCATION

The absolute best. From our location toward the Schlossgarten there was no night club noise or railway vibrations the week we stayed.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms on the park side have view more or less obscured by trees. Deluxe rooms are beauti...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Truls_Johansen
hotelschlossgarten, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear Truls_Johansen,

I seldom had so much pleasure reading a review of our hotel. Thank you very much for your detailed description. I already have shared it to our entire team, of whose gratefulness I may assure you as well.

When you visit us the next time, please feel free to contact me in advance - I am looking forward to taking the time to discuss the points you have mentioned.

Sending you our warmest regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Next to the train station a beautiful park the shops, the museums and the opera. So u can explore it all and head back to the hotel to eat and rest.

• Stayed: April 2012
hotelschlossgarten, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear kamalysf,

Thank you very much for your positiv feedback of your stay.

The entire team appreciates your warm words and is looking forward to welcoming you back at the next occasion.

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a brief two night stay over the 2012 bank holiday weekend.

It really is an excellent city hotel - the rooms are modern, bright and very large, the food is good and the hotel is very well situated in the city centre, and provides an excellent base for sightseeing (e.g. Mercedes Benz and Porsche museums, etc.)

What really stood out for me was the warmth of all the hotel staff (without exception) - they clearly take a lot of well-deserved pride in their job and it showed itself in their enthusiasm, efficiency and cheerfulness, as well as their willingness to go out of their way to be of assistance.

Very well done!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Peepiceek

Dear Peepiceek,

Thank you so much for such positive comments on your stay with us - that is an extra thrust of motivation for our team and gives the power to fill our guests with enthusiasm.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to your next stay in Stuttgart!

Sending our best wishes,