“Nice but warm”

Ranked #3 of 146 Hotels in Stuttgart
Chicago
“Nice but warm”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This hotel was provided to me by Porsche as part of my car pick experience. It's a lovely hotel, they gave us a nice room with a balcony.
But I am American who runs hot. And it as July and warm and the AC was just not working. The front desk did send up maintenance to check it out for us, but the air was just not moving.

Breakfast and bar service was great, rooms are good size. Location to the train could not be bet!

I would stay again, but probably not in the summer!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank windycityf
AlthoffHotelGroup, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Dear windycityf,

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem with the aircondition and prevent any future occurrences.

We look forward to serving you in the future.

Your team of the Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I have stayed there for a week, great location across the DB bahnhof with all connections U bahnhof , S bahn and train station. Next to the konigstrasse which is the main shopping area in Stuttgart and looking over the schlossgarten with a lovely view, very friendly and nice stuff. They have sent me someone to the train station to pick up my luggage and also dropped us back upon departure. That is really made a difference since we had so many luggage.

The breakfast was elegant and nice but with little varieties but still I loved it since they had smoked salmon and shrimp cocktail which i really like:)

They cleaned the room twice a day which makes you feel like a VIP guest, in the second time they fold your quilt, put your slippers next to your bed, set the TV magazine on the exact day, put remote control next to it and they put a piece of chocolate.

The room was always clean and tidy, the only thing we once found a broken piece of glass which we did not break, that means that it was either broken by them during cleaning or have been there for a long time, thanks god that my son did not step on it since he loves walking barefooted, but I think this could happen to anyone.

They had another door to separate the room from the main room entrance door and bathroom which was very convenient in noise reduction, although there were children running during day and late at night in the upper floor which was really annoying.

All in all a great nice pleasant hotel that I recommend it for anyone whether he was a solo traveller, family or business traveller.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the schlossgarten ( park view ) in the upper floors to avoid noise coming...
Dear Rania M,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Your
Team of the Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We had been travelling around Germany staying in small, older hotels so we were very glad when we checked into Schlossgarden! We had a mini suite for 3 nghts. Lots of room and expected luxuries. We also got a room for our teen, but he could have easily stayed in the room with us on the fold out couch. Bottle of water left for us every night was much appreciated and needed. We were wiped out and called room service a few times which was excellent. We also ate in the hotel restaurant which was very, very good, but pricey. They serve breakfast, but we walked over to the mall area 40 yards away and ate at the bakery there every morning. Hotel had good size bathrooms and showers with lots of room to spread out. Our room had a decent size closet and dressing area which was helpful as well. Very close to the train station and a good central location in Stuttgart. Close to many restaurant choices. Only complaint was spotty wifi.

Room Tip: Mini suite could fit a family of 3-4 with the couch folding out.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
AlthoffHotelGroup, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear MimiB

Kind regards
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is above average (for the area), but I would not call it a 5 star hotel.

I booked a non smoking suite, however, the first room that my husband and I were given was definitely smoked in (which they tried to cover up with some air freshener or perfume) and was anything, but the suite that I had booked.

It appears that the photos on their website are not representative off all of their accommodations and that they only show the nicest rooms, as an example, in each room category. For starters, this is false advertising and secondly, it leads to a huge disappointment on the part of the traveler, as we did not receive what we had initially booked. If your rooms differ from what is shown on your website, then clearly state this. Had we known, that this is what the room looked like beforehand, we would not have booked this room.

My husband immediately went downstairs and spoke with the manager and explained that 1) I would get a migraine from the smoke smell (which is why I booked non smoking in the first place) and 2) that the room looked nothing like the room that we had booked. The manager had us look at another room on the first floor to see if it would be acceptable. The second room which we gladly accepted, was gorgeous, modern/updated, free of smoke fumes and was MUCH closer in terms of appearance of the room that I had originally booked. I am not even sure, how this room exists in the same hotel with the first room that we we given. Such a huge contrast between the two rooms in terms of appearance and quality. What I also find interesting is that on the table of the second room we were given, was a fruit plate and a sealed letter to the guests who had booked the room that we were given...so what happened to those poor guests that checked in after us? I am American (with limited German proficiency) and my husband is German, and we live in the US. By now, my husband has developed a bit of an American accent when speaking German. Maybe they initially thought they could pull one over on the Americans when we first checked in? *Shrug* While the manager did remedy the situation, it definitely left me with a bad taste in my mouth and an overall distrust towards their customer service.

Also, the hotel policy guide in the rooms, asks guests not to smoke. However, if they do, they will be fined 50 euros. 50 euros is not enough to clean a room after someone has smoked in it. You need to remove and clean the curtains, clean the carpets, the upholstery and all of the linens. The second hotel we stayed at in Germany after our stay here, had a fine of 375 euros, which in my opinion, is a much better deterrent and is actually realistic in terms of the cost estimate of cleaning a room that has been smoked in.

The hotel lobby, bar and restaurant match the decor and ambiance of the second room that we were given (upscale, modern, etc.). We had drinks in the hotel bar on our second night, and received excellent service from our waitress. The drinks were also quite good. We also ordered food from the restaurant while sitting in the bar. Both of our meals were also very good. I had the house pasta and my husband had the maultaschen (which are basically like raviloi). We were able to get coffee to go each morning from the bar/cafe, however, it was not complimentary (even the Ritz Carlton provides guests with free coffee in the mornings).

The wifi (while free) is horrendous. The coverage is terrible and pretty much useless. Also, the login process is overly complicated and cumbersome. Not only do you need to request a new username and password each morning from the front desk (for each device), you also have to enter that user name and password any time your device disconnects from the network (which occurs fairly frequently).

The location of the hotel is pretty convenient. It is located right next to the park, train station and main shopping area in Stuttgart. While we had a rental car during our stay (as we were visiting family and in Germany to attend my sister-in-law's wedding), one could definitely get around without a rental car if staying at this hotel.

Overall, the hotel was acceptable, and our stay went on without any hiccups once the room situation was addressed. I'm not sure that I would stay here again, due to how things started off, however, it is one of the nicer hotel is the area. If you are a traveler who is after higher end/luxury accommodations, this is really only one of two options that exist within Stuttgart.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor appear to be better appointed.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KL83
Dear KL83,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Your team of the Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten
houston, texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We just spent four days in a junior suite here, and enjoyed the spacious room, the huge bathroom, the ideal location, and the staff that always took the extra step to be accommodating and helpful. But the WiFi service was horrible, and so were the anemic A/C and the parking experience, and these almost outweighed the good.

First, WiFi. It was supposed to be included with our room rate. But, unlike other hotels, this WiFi required a very long and complicated user ID and password that we had to reenter every time we closed the lid of our Microsoft Surface. And the password and ID allowed access only for 24 hours, so that meant we would have to go down to the front desk at odd hours for a fresh code when the previous one expired. As a result of this inexplicably difficult process, we had no access to internet service most of the time. We were very surprised that a hotel that is geared for business travelers would tolerate such terrible obstacles to internet access when so much of the world depends on it to conduct important business. This was a MAJOR inconvenience.

Next, the A/C. Our lovely large room had lovely large windows that entirely lined a long wall, so there was lots of sunlight pouring in, which usually is a very desirable feature. But not in this case, because the A/C was too weak to adequately cool the room. We informed the front desk, and asked for engineering to fix the problem, but it never improved. We eventually learned to keep the drapery drawn and close the doors between our bedroom and bathroom, and that helped, but we were never cool. The first night, we were so warm that we opened the windows but that allowed bugs in the room. And we learned that opening a window automatically shuts off the A/C. This was a MAJOR discomfort.

Parking was a story similar to the WiFi story. We were given a key card that was supposed to allow us unlimited access to the garage. But, the card never worked. When the card failed to operate, the garage guard made us park our car, go up to the reception desk, and get a new card. The new card didn't work consistently, either. Our last day, we were given a validation that expired after fifteen minutes. The parking chaos was another MAJOR inconvenience that slowed us down, once when we were already late for dinner, and we avoided using our car at all because it was such a pain in the neck.

This hotel has apparently been renovated recently, and we found its décor and condition to be very good. But, the technical troubles were very, very difficult and management needs to fix them, no matter what it takes, if they want to build a relationship with frequent travelers.

Room Tip: Probably better in winter when you don't need A/C.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
AlthoffHotelGroup, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Gilda-bebe,

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem with our Wifi, parking and aircondition and prevent any future occurrences.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Schlossgarten last summer and loved it so much, we booked it again this summer. Hotel has consistently high standards. Our room was exactly as we thought it would be....clean, functional, beautiful. Amazing breakfast - we sat outside every morning overlooking the beautiful city park.
Location of the hotel is perfect. No need for a car,
You just can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank London.dreaming
AlthoffHotelGroup, Manager at Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear London.dreaming,

Kind regards
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have stayed one night in one of the Junior Suites. Believe the hotel is far below international 5 star standards and is close to the average business hotel that there are so many near the railway stations in every European city. Ugly building, very standard rooms, lots of mistakes in service. Location is very close to busy shopping street that gets quite unpleasant in the evening.
Breakfast is better experience, but again nothing special. No concierge service, just reception assistance. Please note that they charge high fee for WIFI !

Room Tip: standard rooms are very small. recommend junior suite.
Dear AS71

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Althoff Hotel am Schlossgarten. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

Kindest regards,