“Owner/Manager, Fred is extremely rude”
Review of Alex 30 Hostel

Alex 30 Hostel
“Owner/Manager, Fred is extremely rude”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I booked to stay at Alex30 Hostel in Stuttgart, Germany for 3 nights.
On the last night I had a heated discussion with Fred who claims to be the owner & manager. Honestly, with his customer service skills, i'd be surprised if this was true.

I owed the hostel Three (€0.03) Euro Cents. This amount came about because I had €1.40 in my wallet on my final night in Europe before returning home to the UK the next day. I was using the hostel's computers and hopped off the computer when it reached €1.40. Unfortunately, i hadn't realised that the computer timing doesn't stop when you stop using it. It proceeded to go up to €1.50 by the time I went immediately to the desk to pay. I think this is an outdated practice, but it wouldn't have been a big deal if it wasn't my last night in Europe, so I was low on coins

I explained my situation and offered the €0.07 in bronze I had. This was still not good enough and Owner/Manager, Fred threatened to kick me out of the hostel that night (occurred approximately 22:00) and then threatened to call the police when I couldn't pay the additional €0.03

Owner/Manager, Fred, said it wasn't how much I owed, but that I owed the hostel money. I wasn't exactly calm at this stage, but Owner/Manager, Fred seemed to enjoy threatening me.

Is this how he treats travellers very often? I found his behaviour reprehensible and it coloured my entire hostel stay.

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank AlliK3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked Alex30 after seeing the great reviews here. I was not at all disappointed. The hostel was a short walk from the main station. The staff are really friendly - always willing to help with any questions or directions. The room was clean and so was the bathrooms. I did think that being on the second floor it was a little tedious to get the luggage up - but that's just a minor thing.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the road will have some noise from the tram and traffic.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank prakashh17
Brunei
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Heading says all. Very helpful staff manning the front desk. I was delighted that my room was only on the 1st floor as I read from reviews that lagging your luggage up the higher floor is a nightmare. Thank you. Located at a rather convenient are, walking distances to a lot of place of interest, palaces, churches, park, shopping mall, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Don't follow the advice of Google Maps and walk to the hotel- there's a bunch of really convenient S-bahn stops nearby that save a whole lot of walking up and down hills. The hotel is very clean; rooms are pretty standard for a hostel. Staff at the front desk are really friendly and will help with directions, etc - they know quite a bit. The hotel doesn't have an elevator so the higher the floor you're on the more stairs you'll obviously have to do - in hot weather though you may get more of a breeze. There isn't air conditioning. Shared bathrooms but the bathrooms are really clean and separated based on genders (the same for showers). There are fans you can rent (I believe for a deposit) if you're too hot.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wonderguest
cincinnati
Reviewed 4 July 2013

After a horrifying day, my friend and I collapsed in Alex 30 Hostel. The staff was accommodating after we discovered we'd booked our stay for the wrong night. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. No there isn't air conditioning, but the room temperature isn't an issue with open windows. A fan is available if needed. The staff was very knowledgeable about local attractions and sights. For 1 euro you can buy a city map and the staff pointed out things to visit. There is plenty to see within walking distance of the hostel as well as delicious local eateries. Two-thumbs up from this newbie to the hostel world.

Room Tip: When you booking with hostel bookers.com you get free WiFi. Aim for a room on the lower levels becau...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Rooms, corridor and toilets were very clean. Good location, just 3 minutes away from the tram stop. Free towels with a 5 Euro deposit. Friendly and highly efficient reception staff, stay here if 24 Euros/night is well within your budget

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank flytheworld1
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 January 2013

The staff was very personable and easy to talk to, the place was very clean and the location was convenient. The only difficult part was the stairs but otherwise, it was a great hostel. They had breakfast which was a good spread. The hostel is walking distance to the schlossplatz and also has the ubahn close by. I've never been in a cleaner hostel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family