“great value for money”
Review of Alex 30 Hostel

Alex 30 Hostel
Reviewed 9 March 2014

stayed in the month of feb 2014 for four days .Realy a nice place to stay ; connectivity is very good ; Olgaek U-bhan station is at walking distance ;Three important tourist spots of stuttgart ,the statesgallery ; koenigstrauss and kings palace are at walking distance or few stations from olgaek ; Main station is also at a walking distance or at the most few station from olgaek;
the U- bhan line was visible from my window but to my surprise noise was not a problem ; the reception desk is very co-operative and speak very good english ; rooms are quite comfortable with temperature regulation ; you wont need extra blanket ; the toilet and bathrooms were sharing but very clean ; Wi-fi was free but speed was poor ; tickets for mercedes benz museum and three days tourist train tickets are available at the reception counter ; supermart is near by in case you require any thing to purchase ; Reception desk are always ready to help you ,as the laptop charger with me had three pin but all plugs had two pin.The reception desk immediately provided me with an adapter .I had a room on first floor therefore carrying them was not a problem inspite of no lift ;
Would stay there again if ever had an opportunity to go there .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Had a pleasant stay in october 2013 in this hostel while attending a congress in the city; the main flaw was the room wich was quite small, and the noise from neaby rooms wich was quite disturbing in one occasion at late night; anyhow thisi is what you expect from a hostel, after all; it was acceptably clean; the main values on the other hand are that the hostel has a very good price, is located in the city centrum and offers free wifi internet which is quite important for a business travel;

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I booked to stay at Alex30 Hostel in Stuttgart, Germany for 3 nights.
On the last night I had a heated discussion with Fred who claims to be the owner & manager. Honestly, with his customer service skills, i'd be surprised if this was true.

I owed the hostel Three (€0.03) Euro Cents. This amount came about because I had €1.40 in my wallet on my final night in Europe before returning home to the UK the next day. I was using the hostel's computers and hopped off the computer when it reached €1.40. Unfortunately, i hadn't realised that the computer timing doesn't stop when you stop using it. It proceeded to go up to €1.50 by the time I went immediately to the desk to pay. I think this is an outdated practice, but it wouldn't have been a big deal if it wasn't my last night in Europe, so I was low on coins

I explained my situation and offered the €0.07 in bronze I had. This was still not good enough and Owner/Manager, Fred threatened to kick me out of the hostel that night (occurred approximately 22:00) and then threatened to call the police when I couldn't pay the additional €0.03

Owner/Manager, Fred, said it wasn't how much I owed, but that I owed the hostel money. I wasn't exactly calm at this stage, but Owner/Manager, Fred seemed to enjoy threatening me.

Is this how he treats travellers very often? I found his behaviour reprehensible and it coloured my entire hostel stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank AlliK3
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked Alex30 after seeing the great reviews here. I was not at all disappointed. The hostel was a short walk from the main station. The staff are really friendly - always willing to help with any questions or directions. The room was clean and so was the bathrooms. I did think that being on the second floor it was a little tedious to get the luggage up - but that's just a minor thing.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the road will have some noise from the tram and traffic.
1  Thank prakashh17
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Heading says all. Very helpful staff manning the front desk. I was delighted that my room was only on the 1st floor as I read from reviews that lagging your luggage up the higher floor is a nightmare. Thank you. Located at a rather convenient are, walking distances to a lot of place of interest, palaces, churches, park, shopping mall, etc.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Don't follow the advice of Google Maps and walk to the hotel- there's a bunch of really convenient S-bahn stops nearby that save a whole lot of walking up and down hills. The hotel is very clean; rooms are pretty standard for a hostel. Staff at the front desk are really friendly and will help with directions, etc - they know quite a bit. The hotel doesn't have an elevator so the higher the floor you're on the more stairs you'll obviously have to do - in hot weather though you may get more of a breeze. There isn't air conditioning. Shared bathrooms but the bathrooms are really clean and separated based on genders (the same for showers). There are fans you can rent (I believe for a deposit) if you're too hot.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank wonderguest
Reviewed 4 July 2013

After a horrifying day, my friend and I collapsed in Alex 30 Hostel. The staff was accommodating after we discovered we'd booked our stay for the wrong night. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. No there isn't air conditioning, but the room temperature isn't an issue with open windows. A fan is available if needed. The staff was very knowledgeable about local attractions and sights. For 1 euro you can buy a city map and the staff pointed out things to visit. There is plenty to see within walking distance of the hostel as well as delicious local eateries. Two-thumbs up from this newbie to the hostel world.

Room Tip: When you booking with hostel bookers.com you get free WiFi. Aim for a room on the lower levels becau...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends