Hotel Stern
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We booked a room for the same night at 6pm during a holiday, so I guess we couldn't be so pecky! Ok, some rooms need renovation (especially the bathrooms), but it's a good value overall. Some eighty euros for 2 people with breakfast and wi-fi included, and only 10 min for the city center, it felt reasonable for the area. The hotel also has a parking and a beer garden :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We were checked in by a very friendly receptionist. Our request for a quite room was granted, and we slept very well. The hotel is very near the center, and there are lots of interesting buildings to see besides the Münster. Breakfast was included in the price and was a good buffet. The room was very good value for money. The hotel owners are gradually rennovating rooms, so prices may go up. There is a garage, which is underground and to get to it you haveto drive the car into a lift, which then takes you down. Would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone stopping in Ulm.

Room Tip: There are quiet rooms at the back of the hotel, towards the street must be very noisey.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I stay at Stern Hotel for 1 night last summer, because it is located in the center within 3-5 minutes from the Munster. The hotel is quite old but clean and tidy. I reserved single room but they upgrade to double room without charges due to my requested room with view of Munster not available in their single room. Staff quite helpful but little English. I was lucky because my Ulm friend accompany me during check in and check out. Hotel location on the quite area near the Munster, so you can sleep and relax at night very well. I can see the Munster over my window.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I stayed a night in the Stern hotel this week. Booked it late, right on my arrival day, but got a very good price of € 80.--, breakfast included. The hotel has obviously no own parking, and is the first building on a crossing at a pedestrian zone. I found however a public parking just a 5 minutes walk away fromt the hotel, and the overnight rate (or 24 hours rate) was just € 9.--, very reasonnable. The hotel has a reception on the left, and on the right is the adjaccent restaurant (belonging to the hotel) and the lobby room. I didn't eat at the restaurant, but I had the impression that it was a very refined establishment. I got a single room in the first floor. The room was fairly large for a single, and the funishing looked quite new and appealing, although it's more traditional than modern (-but nice). Unlike in lots of French hotels where everything you touch seems to fall apart, here everything is solid and elaborate, and everything works. Obviously they applied here the same thoroughness furnishing this room, as the Germans are doing it when they build a VW, or BMW -it's just unthinkable that something doesn't work properly.. The cleanliness was irreproachable. The bed was good, and I think it was a tad larger than single beds usually are. The tv was an older CRT (hello old friend, long time not seen), but it worked and pic and sound were perfect. The bath was much larger than you'd expect in a single room, and even had it's own window. The room was furthermore fitted with a minibar, and with a workdesk. Wifi was free and fast. Usually you're bothered by street noise when you're in the first floor, but this wasn't the case here, maybe also because there's the pedestrian zone, so there was actually no through traffic. I ate breakfast the next morning. Since I had a relatively late appointment, I went to the restaurant at 08:45 h. I don't recall exactly until when the hotel claimed to serve breakfast, but I think it was until 09:30 at least, or even 10:00 h. But at 08:45 when I went, many bowls were totally empy. No joghurt (neither plain nor the fruit one), I catched just one measle last slice of bacon, and there was not much scrambled egg left neither. Apart from that, there was however still a whole lot to choose from, mainly different bread types, cheese, ham tomatoes, etc.. So the empty breakfast bowls were actually the only little stain during that otherwise perfect stay.
All in all, I'm sure that this hotel would count as a four star in another country than Germany.

Room Tip: The described room was # 123
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Spent a couple of nights in hotel Stern and was pleased, both with the room and with the breakfast. The room was a bit small but comfortable, I slept well. Bathroom was clean, wifi internet was a bit slow. The hotel staff is formal but still manages to be quite friendly (night porter is a bit sulky, but I guess that's part of his role). Breakfast is rich and I enjoyed it (however, try to arrive early or you might find that the cakes are gone). At night the breakfast room becomes a restaurant, serving food till 11pm: quite handy, if you arrive late and hungry!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends