“perfect holiday”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Crawley, United Kingdom
“perfect holiday”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

a perfect wellness- and hiking holiday. The staff at the hotel, reception, service and cleaning were excellent, friendly and always helpful. A place you have to visit! The area around Berchtesgarden is stunning, the mountain beautiful and the lake Koenigssee very relaxing.

Room Tip: our room was just excellent
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have just enjoyed a marvellous few days at this friendly and very relaxed hotel situated in the hills between Berchtesgaden and lake königssee in southern Bavaria. We have visited this part of Germany before so we know it is very special as the beauty of the mountains and the lakes are almost without equal. We have stayed in different hotels and pensions in the area but for us this was the best because it is in a very good location close to lake königssee and the obersalzburg, and because it is very relaxed with good food and a nice swimming pool. Our room was spacious with a good view of the mountains and the bathroom was superb. There was a very good range of food at breakfast. Finally all the staff were friendly and helpful. We aim to return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Penryn, California
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Perhaps the name of the hotel is a bit typical of German nomenclature and lacks the romance or wit of a silicon valley start up company but that's where the weakness ends.

My wife and I stayed this past summer (2013) with our two children and it was nothing short of fantastic. We are skewed though toward Berchtesgaden and the Alps in general which ought to be taken in account but not to the effect of writing this review with rose colored glasses. The hotel is quintessential Alp style except with a level of service which sadly is not that common anymore. An all inclusive format is a turnabout of nearly unfair play by Alpenhof and removes any apprehension in the daily mindset of a european vacation which, for Americans shelling out not only for the the loss in the monetary exchange rate but for the cost of living differential to boot, can place undue restraint on what should be a relaxing and free flowing time.

Sadly, though I'm second generation German, I don't usually recommend the cuisine of my Opa to my compatriots on account that it typically is not something with which the American palate agrees. Occasionally though I'm pleasantly surprised and such was the case with Alpenhof which had splendid dinners! Truly several leaps above the typical fare most will experience in Germany.

They also made some wonderful nonalcoholic drinks, too. My son swears to this day that his favorite drink of all time is a "drachenblüt" which they made for him every.single.night! Additionally they were so kind to email us the recipe so we can continue to give him copious amounts of grenadine for the rest of his childhood.

Lastly I'll never forget horsing around in the meadow adjacent the Hotel in my new lederhosen (to great embarrassment of my wife and children) and asked for my photo to be taken while I was skipping through the wildflowers in flip flops. Now seldom does my wife take photos and even less so with this particular lens I had mounted to the camera which is difficult for most to use for action shots especially if one is laughing during the moment. Alas! She nailed it. And better yet, I hadn't realized several German families sitting on the back patio watching my chicanery and who promptly applauded my skipping foray. My favorite photo of me ever and one of my greatest impromptu moments ever.

Can't commend Alm- & Wellnesshotel Alpenhof high enough.

Enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lance_The_Short
France
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Just returned from an impromptu 1 week visit to the Alpenhof. This was our 7th stay. We are booked for our 8th in August 2014. We really love the friendliness and family atmosphere. Any help or advice that we have asked for from the reception has always been accurate and helpful. The restaurant staff are courteous, friendly and efficient without being intrusive . The facilities in the hotel are superb and my wife particularly recommends the massage and pedicure facilities in the spa.

Yet again I have nothing but praise for Stefan Zapletal and his staff

Room Tip: The views of the mountains are slightly better from 2nd floor rooms, although this is more noticeabl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simonsdvd
Sainte-Maxime, France
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We chose to stay here based on recommendations for a change as we have visited the area towards St wolfgang since 1975.We only stayed for 2 nights and were lucky to have warmer and drier weather than our home in the South of France.We now realise we will return to this area as it was more vibrant at this time of year than where we had been before.Armed with information from the helpful receptionist we had the perfect day in the nearby National Park and wonderful walks there along with the Deer feeding between 2-3pm.We then returned to the Alpenhof for tea and (low fat) cakes followed by a swim in the immaculately indoor and outdoor pools,shower and then down for a lovely 5 course meal all of which was included in our daily offer price.
We will return with friends next time as I know they would be totally impressed if only we could fly direct to Salzburg but we have to go to Munich and the journey which should take 2 hours took 4hours and we arrived with 10 minutes to spare.Finally to us it was great to be able to dress for comfort around the hotel as explained in the room booklet which immediately makes one feel at ease when on holiday.Thankyou also to all the staff who created such a friendly atmosphere and made our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We had a basic room which was far from basic compared to many other hotels we have stayed in,we were...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous week in the Alpenhof hotel. We choose this hotel based on the great reviews we found on tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. From our arrival until our departure the staff exceeded all our expectations. Stefan the owner is so lucky to have such wonderful staff and they always greeted us with a huge smile. Sylvia on reception was a huge help to us. She checked us in and showed us around the hotel before showing us to our beautiful room, Jenner 1. She also gave us advice on places to go and how to get there which we were delighted with as we don't speak German. The girls Mira, Christine and Brigette were there at our beck and call serving us delicious food and always bringing our drinks to us when we were relaxing after dinner. The facilities in the hotel were excellent and the cleanliness of this hotel was top notch. There are a lot of people who work in the background whom you don't get to meet but they all do a fantastic job keeping this hotel just perfect. Although the hotel is up in the mountain it did not hinder us from going anywhere, even though we did not have a car. It is a 15 minute walk down hill to the local bus(in summertime the bus comes up the mountain) and the hotel provide you with a free bus pass. We travelled to Bad Reichenhall, Trainstein, Salzburg and also spent some time in Berchtesgaden and Konnigsee. We are very much looking forward to returning to this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoyChristina
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Yesterday evening I returned to my home country still longing for the atmosphere, the genuine friendliness, and service provided by the Hotel Alpenhof.
This was my second stay and far from the last.
From the moment you arrive in the historical, majestic yet cozy town of Berchtesgaden any expectations will already have been met. The scenic beauty and traditional German ambience is present as far as the eye can see.
At the moment you arrive at the Alpenhof, you will enter an almost perfectly tailored hotel to the vacation you are embarking on. The decor is unique with a mixture of modern to vintage tradition to country chic.
You will be greeted by any number of VERY friendly staff. We were greeted by Sylvia who never fails to smile and emote warmth and genuine courtesy. The hotel offers a lunch or tea time in the afternoon hours and she invited us right away to relax and unwind upon arrival.
The dinners are not to be missed, and we feel like old friends after only the second visit!
Mira, Christin, Anna, Patricia we will never forget the wonderful conversations and joy you bring each and every day! We can't stop talking about it..to everyone here at home!
Being of mostly of German decent, I am learning to speak the language on my own, and they made it even more enjoyable and were so helpful and patient!! Although everyone speaks English clearly.
You will not want to leave, and it was with heavy hearts packing our bags and departing after only 6 days there. The dinners are amazing and full of flavor, the chefs do a first class job and my compliments to all those who work in the background because you are ALL FIRST CLASS!
The Aplenhof rooms are very comfortable (we stayed in the suite with separate living room area and couch), the houskeeping staff is WONDERFUL, as the sheets are crisp, the down pillows and soft and super comfortable. The decor to me is Bavarian, with wood beams and Euro color scheme which is inviting and again mixing a traditional German style with a modern look. The bathroom is more modern with the water being hot and the showers strong! The towels are crisp and absolutely fine.
Foreigners, typically the US guests, should remember, you come here as an ambassador to your country, this is not the Ritz Carlton in Manhattan, it is clean, comfortable, stylish and VERY friendly. Skiiers would feel right at home.
The inclusive breakfasts are NOT to be missed. Individual delicious karaffes of coffee are provided to you at the table. The scrambled eggs mixed with various sausage or ham are lecker! The breads, rolls, donuts, pastries...simply delicious! The juices are fresh and wonderful. The cereals, jams-jellies, fruits, cheeses all are just great.
The owner Stefan has welcomed us as friends from the moment we met and is always available for advice or just to say hello. One day, I overstayed my parking time at the nearby Lake Konigsee, and Stefan easily helped me with this as dilemma!
Speaking of which, the beautiful Lake Konigsee is just down the road, in walking distance in fact (maybe a kilometer or two?).
Do not hesitate to book your stay here, you will not be disappointed and I am writing this as someone who appreciates hosptality, yet privacy and being treated with courtesy and friendliness..The Alpenhof NEVER DISSAPOINTS!

Room Tip: A suite provides ample space to stretch out and relax. There is also a separating curtain if you des...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dssstuart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berchtesgaden
Hotel Edelweiss
Alpenhotel Fischer
Alpenhotel Fischer
#6 of 20 in Berchtesgaden
Best Western Plus Berghotel Rehlegg

Been to Alm- & Wellnesshotel Alpenhof? Share your experiences!