“Mixed feelings!!”

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Dubai
“Mixed feelings!!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed for 10 days in August with the family. Booked 2 rooms. Booking by phone was quick. Upon arrival were told to park and come to the reception. No one on site to pick the luggage in the afternoon. The lady serving us in tye reception on our arrival was such a helpful person. Very sweet and unfortunately I forgot her name but she is Austrian as I knew later and a gem to be appreciated in this hotel. She asked if I like to order something for the kids as they were tired from a 6 hrs road trip and maybe hungry. Smooth check in. At night we couldn't order room service after 9 pm and had to go to the lobby. At 10:15 ordered a pizza as the kitchen closes at 11. 10 minutes before 11 they come and tell us the oven broke down. Sorry no dinner for tonight. Good that my kids have already had dinner. Breakfast was good with a lot of choices. You can squeeze your own detox drink if you like or chose from what is available. Kids club was fantastic. My kids didn't want to leave the hotel all day. They can play football, bicycles or watch a movie. Staff very friendly in the kids club. Location of hotel iis excellent. Ac in room doesnt really work, you cant even find the ac opening anywhere. Points that I didn't like is that you have to get your laundry down and hand it to reception, and I felt that some of the staff are not trained well for customer service. At times I didn't feel welcomed in the pizzeria for example I waited for 10 min and no one came and then when I ask him he says we are very busy order from your room. Although inside the resturant one table was occupied and the terrace was full. I asked for spoons in my room and the lady getting it asked that if I don't return them when I am done I will pay for it in a rude way. I am paying 400 euros per night. Why would I take your spoons. Service nowadays is more important that the place. As I read earlier in the reviews if you speak the language you will be treated well. And that is true. I will come back if my kids were with me. Otherwise I will not

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank adorable79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We spent 3 nights here September, 2013 on a Stephen Ambrose tour from the US. It was beautiful, functional, in the middle of everything, had every convenience and every employee except one was absolutely deep south friendly. I understand that it was built on an empty lot, but took 10 years to permit and build because it ruined some views of the cafes and shops behind it, They do a lot for their guests and for the locals bringing in children for swimming and art lessons. I feel like they are not only a top service provider, but a good corporate citizen.

Room Tip: We had a room on the back overlooking several cafes - a little noisy. The front rooms had better vi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angsw72
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My partner and I booked 2 rooms together with his sister and her 2 children and his mom.

The hotel is located literally in the middle of the old town of Berchtesgaden. No other hotel could claim "middle" like Hotel Edelweiss.

We were assigned spacious rooms and one room even had an in-suite bedroom for children. The rooms were clean and very well decorated with the traditional bavarian interiors. All amenities that we expect were present - even a room slipper and bathrobe especially for children.

On a side note: we learned during the course of our stay that this is a family run hotel because there was a homey feeling within its interior. Decorations were very well chosen the same way like a mother would decorate her own home. I even loved the oil burned glass "vases" that I had to ask where to purchase them.

The panorama restaurant and the pool are located on the 6th floor is boasting of an unrivaled view of the Watzmann mountain. Every afternoon, after a long days mountain stroll, we would relax at the whirlpool enjoying the specalur view while sipping the house cocktail "Edelweiss Spritz" - a must try!

There are so much more to say about the physical attributes of this wonderful hotel but to me - for us, what stood out in this hotel is how every single staff were extra-friendly, helpful, very pleasant to deal with and always serving with a smile. We loved every minute that we had something to do with anybody from the hotel.

Another surprise was the dinner menu that we were revelling about every evening. We booked a half-board rate and did not expect what we experienced during our stay at Edelweiss. We stayed 4 nights altogether and skipped the first night dinner. From the second night on, there was what seemed like an endless menu which were each divinely presented and were equally tasting like heaven.

I could go on and on but you should experience it for yourself!

This hotel is highly highly recommended and we would definitely come back again - for the service and for the excellent kitchen that they have.

Room Tip: Room 209 have an in suite separate bedroom for children. Spacious corner room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CJ827
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My brother and I spent 4 nights in Berchesgaden to allow him to recover from an illness that required some quality time and rest,as I was at a wedding in edelweiss hotel in 2011,I felt it was the correct venue for him and we were not found wanting in the service and first class hotel during our stay, I intend to return soon as it is one of the best hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank 428100
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Being a relatively newly built structure, it doesn't have that chocolate box Tyrolean look, but everything works beautifully. From check-in via the secure underground carpark the experience is efficient and enjoyable. Our room was large enough with effective wifi, a modern bathroom and shower, a good work desk and extremely comfortable beds. We faced the mountains at the front and could actually see the eagles nest from our open door above reception. They could not find us a double, queen or king bed sized room so we had to put up with the singles pushed together as happens so often in Germany and Austria - don't they like each other? The food was excellent, so much so that the rooftop restaurant was booked out the night we were there and we ate in the lounge restaurant. Breakfast was also excellent and included in the room price. There are lots of local activities including for kids and animals are allowed.

Room Tip: Those at the front have great views
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Excellent food cooked to perfection and reasonably priced. Patio area outside of the Hotel on the main Town Square gives a good preview of life as it passes by in this very pretty Historical Town in Bavaria.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We loved our stay at Hotel Edelweiss. The setting is spectacular- the mountain views from the rooftop are stunning. I didn't want to leave!
The breakfast was memorable- fresh pressed juices, a dozen whole grain breads and delicious fresh spa-type food available. The indoor pool is nice and gave my son a good break from sightseeing. We were the only Americans there- surrounded by Germans on holiday, which made our stay even more interesting.
One note- the hotel itself is bigger and a little more 'corporate' than I would have guessed by the photos. This is not a quaint little inn. However- they do a great job.
Families: note there is also a small play room. We went in there for a few minutes just for the kids to act like kids and play in the ball pit. At check in they even provided child size spa slippers and robe.
The only thing I wish I had done differently is stay longer. It does take effort to get to Berchtesgaden- but worth it, I highly recommend Edelweiss.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family