“Nice Quiet Countryside Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Edelweiss

Hotel Edelweiss
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Nice Quiet Countryside Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed 3 nights in July

Pros: Good breakfast, friendly staff, quiet and scenic location, clean, nice sized room, clean bathroom, balcony. Can keep window/balcony door open at night. Location convenient to the Eagle's nest and the Konigsee.

Cons: Squeaky bed, no air conditioner, no free-wifi,

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bernhard l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
Belo Horizonte- Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Edelweiss is great.If you go to Berchtesgaden,just this hotel justifies to go.
Very confortable big rooms, with pillow menu, fine amenities.
Helpful staff,give all informations about region.
Location in old downtown, and 7-10 minutes walking to train station.
Hotel has a nice and complite gym area, with fitness room, sauna, baths.
Breakfast is fantastic:t he best I´ve had in Germany. All items with eight or more varieties,like more than 10 kinds of breads, 8 of juices, 8 of cheeses, 8 of cold cuts, assorted fruits, varieties of yoghurts,eggs as you want, smoked salmon, etc, etc.
I booked only with breakfast included, but I tried the dinner menu and was excellent, with five courses, and each courses with two or three options,including truffled pasta and fish,and includes also a buffet with salads, cheese and icecream .Take care with buffet or no enough space for the delicious 5 courses menu....
I intend to return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank FRANCISCO7
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for a few days. She had purchased a Spa Package which was of excellent value. We were there at the end of October, 2013. The package included 2 full breakfasts and 2 dinners. The food alone was amazing! The dinner included 5 courses and each course had a few choices. We have travelled a fair bit and all I can say is that our meals were superb. Our room was lovely. All service was friendly and efficient. As well, the package included a 40 Euro spa credit each to be used from the myriad spa and wellness treatments available.

The pool is on the top floor and it is very beautiful, since it overlooks the hilltops. This was a relaxing getaway, so we spent a good portion of it in the hotel itself. The jacuzzi is also on the top floor but it is outside and commands a spectacular view of the mountains. If you book a spa treatment one has access to the many spas. Call me a prude, but I am still so North American that I opted not to indulge in the spas. Read the many tips on German spas and decide if you are ready for the saunas. My daughter who is living in Germany at the moment did not hesitate to enjoy the many saunas.

On the top floor there is also a dining room, which is open to anyone. Since our dinners were on the main floor, we had a drink here and caught the sunset.

The hotel is situated in the middle of the old town. We went for lovely walks around the town, as well, on the hillside directly above the town. There are many walks that one can enjoy. I love the trails on the hillside. It does feel like people have walked these same paths for centuries Since we were there in the Fall, the colours were amazing. At dusk, the town looked like it was sprinkled with gold dust and that fairies would peek out from the trees at any moment. The place did have a fairytale feel to it.

Although the town is well known because it was a favourite spot of Hitler(He took it over and incidentally kicked out many of the locals, so that the Nazis could set up their headquarters), for me, the charm of the town lies is its long history of the local salt mines and of its famous alpine mountains. The hotel has many interesting old photographs of the area which really brings the past alive.

I certainly recommend this hotel. I loved it in the fall, but I know each season would have its charm.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Roberta M
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here 2 days during a business conference. The hotel was very good. The room was really large. The toilet and bath were separate and also big. I had a shower cubicle which is what I prefer rather than a tub. The only thing missing in the room was a tea/ coffee kettle which is something one now expects in any hotel.
Breakfast was good with a lot of variety and hot eggs and pancakes to order.
As we had our conference there, we also ate lunch there on 2 days. They had a set menu with 3 options for main course but the service took very long, so much so that we had to skip dessert to make sure we didn’t jeopardize our day’s schedule. We got the dessert during the coffee break.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sally_pgw
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband booked this hotel after reading positive tripadvisor reviews and were blown away by the hospitality and convenient location of this hotel. We stayed for three nights and absolutely LOVED it...so much that we both agreed we could get used to the luxury! We don't usually splurge on hotels but did for this portion of our trip and we don't regret it. Sorry, but this review is going to be long because we enjoyed it so much!

English?
Some people complain about this hotel catering to Germans and Austrians, and I see where they say this, since their website and pamphlets are mostly in German (and aren't really offered in English or any other language). However, you are in a small town AND you're in Germany! I have nothing but positive things to say about Hotel Edelweiss' staff. We had an easy check-in and check-out process with Sebastien, and he was so energetic and helpful. We loved Liza, who helped us get around town every morning, and provided pre-printed bus schedules and recommendations on which mode of transportation (walk, bus, or taxi) was ideal. The breakfast staff and housekeeping staff were all professional and very friendly (every time you passed an employee in the hall, they'd take the time to greet you with a smile and "morgen" or "hello").

Spa
We didn't plan ahead and schedule any spa services before our arrival, but will do so in the future. We stopped by to check it out and ask whether they had a spa menu in English (they don't), since the brochure in the room was only in German. We were able to figure out what most of them were on our own, but the staff was helpful with explaining them further and answer any questions. We only had a few hours free and unfortunately, they weren't able to fit in a double booking (our fault, not theirs).

Saunas
The floor of saunas was AMAZING! However, this was my first time going to a "naked spa" and this one is also "coed," (what can I say, we Americans aren't as progressive and open about nudity). I was nervous but once I realized no one else was self conscious, I stripped down and enjoyed the relaxation in their various rooms. Make sure to go into the big sauna that is accessed from the patio...the hot-cold felt wonderful. They provide robes and slippers and even a bag full of pool/sauna towels (very nice perk). There are also ample showering facilities so that you can rinse off between saunas.

Swimming pool
The indoor swimming pool was big and not busy (most of the time we had it to ourselves). One night, they had a drop-off-your-kids swim lesson and the pool was invaded by kids in floaty wings, but it was cool to see they have such services for families and allow the parents some alone time. Our favorite spot in the hotel was the rooftop hot tub. AMAZING views. The water temperature was perfect for us...to most it was colder than they liked, but we loved it because it didn't make you sweat and you could stay in for hours (seriously, I think we averaged 90 minutes a day). And you also feel the difference in how cold you are when you get out! We even stayed in it while it was raining heavily outside. We wish the timer on the whirlpool was longer than 5 minutes...but just got used to having to push the button every 5-10 minutes.

The breakfast buffet
Best buffet of the trip and of any hotel I've stayed at. It was HUGE. Tons of meats, cheeses, and breads. About 6-8 kinds of fresh juices. Delicious croissants and pastries. We definitely pigged out.

Location
We walked to the train station to catch the bus to Eagle's Nest and that Salt Mine tour...about 10 minutes from the hotel. It's an easy downhill from the hotel, but steep uphill walking back. If you don't feel like walking, it only costs about 7 Euros. The hotel provides a card that grants free bus transit (for everywhere but the top of the Eagles Nest...you can get to the Dokumentation Museum for free, but have to pay for the ride up/down Eagles Nest).

The hotel is connected to the shopping square...including shops full of outdoor apparel and shoes, ample restaurant choices, an ATM (which is a luxury...get CASH when you can, since most stores only accept cash...the most convenient location to put an ATM--the train station--didn't have an ATM and you could only get cash "in town"), and an awesome specialty grocery store we found (cash only...which meant a quick trip to the ATM when we realized we wanted to buy more than we had). I have no idea what the name of the place is, but we spent a pretty penny putting together a delicious picnic of local wine, cheeses, meats, fresh grapes, crispy "bread" that was more like a cracker, and chocolate. Definitely don't regret the splurge. The front of the store offers tons of fresh produce, so make sure you stop in for all their goodies!

We can't wait to return to Berchtesgaden and Hotel Edelweiss. Next time, we'll stay longer!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SeattleNomad
Dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed for 10 days in August with the family. Booked 2 rooms. Booking by phone was quick. Upon arrival were told to park and come to the reception. No one on site to pick the luggage in the afternoon. The lady serving us in tye reception on our arrival was such a helpful person. Very sweet and unfortunately I forgot her name but she is Austrian as I knew later and a gem to be appreciated in this hotel. She asked if I like to order something for the kids as they were tired from a 6 hrs road trip and maybe hungry. Smooth check in. At night we couldn't order room service after 9 pm and had to go to the lobby. At 10:15 ordered a pizza as the kitchen closes at 11. 10 minutes before 11 they come and tell us the oven broke down. Sorry no dinner for tonight. Good that my kids have already had dinner. Breakfast was good with a lot of choices. You can squeeze your own detox drink if you like or chose from what is available. Kids club was fantastic. My kids didn't want to leave the hotel all day. They can play football, bicycles or watch a movie. Staff very friendly in the kids club. Location of hotel iis excellent. Ac in room doesnt really work, you cant even find the ac opening anywhere. Points that I didn't like is that you have to get your laundry down and hand it to reception, and I felt that some of the staff are not trained well for customer service. At times I didn't feel welcomed in the pizzeria for example I waited for 10 min and no one came and then when I ask him he says we are very busy order from your room. Although inside the resturant one table was occupied and the terrace was full. I asked for spoons in my room and the lady getting it asked that if I don't return them when I am done I will pay for it in a rude way. I am paying 400 euros per night. Why would I take your spoons. Service nowadays is more important that the place. As I read earlier in the reviews if you speak the language you will be treated well. And that is true. I will come back if my kids were with me. Otherwise I will not

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank adorable79
Garner, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

We spent 3 nights here September, 2013 on a Stephen Ambrose tour from the US. It was beautiful, functional, in the middle of everything, had every convenience and every employee except one was absolutely deep south friendly. I understand that it was built on an empty lot, but took 10 years to permit and build because it ruined some views of the cafes and shops behind it, They do a lot for their guests and for the locals bringing in children for swimming and art lessons. I feel like they are not only a top service provider, but a good corporate citizen.

Room Tip: We had a room on the back overlooking several cafes - a little noisy. The front rooms had better vi...