“Worth the extra money!”

Eagle’s Nest Historical Tours
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Berchtesgaden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1990 our thoughtful and history-focused tours of the Eagle's Nest, the underground bunkers and nearby sites associated with Hitler's former HQs in the Alps have won international acclaim. They begin and end at Berchtesgaden's Tourist Office.
Konstanz, Germany
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Worth the extra money!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We decided to take the tour as we figured this was most likely the only time we would visit. My parents, my husband I were all interested in the history of the area. Our tour guide did a great job of giving us lots of background information on Germany at the time, Hitler's life and the important people in the Nazi party. Even my kids enjoyed the tour although they were most interested in walking around the mountain and seeing the hang gliders flying around. The tour is the best way to see the Eagle's Nest, surrounding area, the small museum and underground tunnels. We truly got so much information from our tour guide that we otherwise wouldn't have had. It helped us to understand much more about the mindset and workings of Hitler and the Nazi party. One tip, if you are up for it take the trail and walk back down the mountain to the buses rather than take the elevator down. The views are great and it only takes about 15 minutes plus time for pictures.

7 Thank allissawatts

Bethlehem, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A great experience”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Me and my wife were in Germany to take the European delivery of our new BMW and we set off to the most amazing drive of our life via the alpenstrasse to Berchtesgadden. we drove to the base of the eagles nest and then took the bus to the top. The panoramic view of the alps along with the history was simply an amazing experience. Truly the highlight of our trip. Only downside I broke my camera while boarding the bus and could take pictures only using the video camera.

3 Thank MukherjeeFamily
Vernon, CT
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“So much more than just the Eagle's Nest”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I drove from Stuttgart (with traffic on the A8, this ended up turning a 3 hour drive into a 6 hour drive) to do this tour while on our honeymoon. My husband, being a history major in college and now a historian as a career, loved this experience. Even though I am not much of a historian, I also had a great time. The bus ride up the mountain was incredibly informative, with our guide providing non-stop information about the buildings that used to occupy the sites we saw prior to the bombings of WWII. Some small hints (visible entrances to bunkers, etc) are still present. We were able to enter part of the extensive Nazi bunker system, and the bunkers were much less claustrophobic than I would have guessed. The bus ride up to the Eagle's Nest had astounding, jaw-dropping views, but was stressful for people who have a fear of heights. If you are afraid of heights I would recommend not taking a window seat for this ride. Once we reached the site of the Eagle's nest we were crowded into an elevator and brought up through the mountain to the building itself. The building is now a restaurant, which we did not eat at (we had packed a picnic lunch), and there is not much to do there other than eat, and admire the views. The views were amazing, and totally worth it, but it was really the rest of the tour that was impactful, from a history perspective. The area of Germany in which these sites are located is incredibly beautiful, and worth exploring as well.

8 Thank EricaK135
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A Great Tour (Despite the Eagle's Nest Being Snowed In)”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I and friends are just back from a visit to Salzburg/Munich. One of the highlights of our trip was a great tour by Eagle's Nest Tours.

When I arranged the tour with ENT several months prior, Christine had warned me that there was a substantial risk that the Eagle's Nest would be closed on October 30 .. the only day available for us to visit the Eagle's Nest area given the parameters of our trip. Sure enough she was right ... it snowed the night before our visit and the Eagle's Nest closed for the season the day of our planned tour (it always closes effective Nov 1).

Well, we decided to take ENT's tour of Obersalzburg and the Documentation Center/Bunkers anyway. And boy were we all glad we did.

I've been to the Eagle's Nest before and while the views are great and the history somewhat interesting, I would honestly say that what we saw/learned touring the Nazi complex below Eagle's Nest was far more interesting. Obviously, it would have been great to have seen the Eagle's Nest as well, but we learned first hand why taking a tour with Eagle's Nest Tours adds so much to any visit.

5 Thank Greg_K_Review
Spring, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A "Can't-Miss" experience!!!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked the tour called “The Eagles Nest Historical Tour” with David & Christine Harper. I usually don’t do tours like this, but their educational approach instead of a simple sight-seeing approach seemed like something my wife & I would be interested in...and I was right! I learned more on the bus ride up the mountain than I did actually seeing the sites. The tour guide explained Hitler’s early years and how he went from a high school dropout to a homeless man to an evil dictator. She explained how he basically took over the entire mountain & all the property already there, and we got to see it all, or at least what wasn't destroyed in WWII.

The views from the Eagle's Nest are truly one of a kind. It was snowing up there (7 inches had accumulated) and was just about the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

The underground bunker system that runs throughout the mountain was awesome although they wouldn’t let us take pictures. The tour guide came in very handy in the museum since everything is written in German.

My wife and I did and saw over a dozen activities & sites during our Bavarian road trip, and this was definitely in our top 2 (possibly behind Oktoberfest). Just seeing the Eagle's Nest and the related sites on the mountain would've been absolutely fantastic, but the tour made it even better. It was well worth every penny, and I can't recommend it enough.

Visited September 2013