“Speciel and friendly hotel.”
Review of Hotel zum Turken

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Berchtesgaden
Hotel zum Turken
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Munich, Germany
“Speciel and friendly hotel.”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have been here for some nights the last 3 years and it always nice to be back.

The hotel is in old style,,but nice and friendly.

Relaxing too!

Very friendly staff.

Ivar Sørgård. Tromsø.Norway / Munich /bayern

Room Tip: if you like nice old hotell with nice wiev and speciel history ,,this hotel is good.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank ivar s

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Unfortunately I didn't know about the Hotel zum Türken before coming to the area, but I will definitely return to stay overnight. Although the Türken is a lot less comfortable than the next-door Interconti, it is preferable as the "real" experience of this historic place. Interesting discussions with the new "old lady" at the reception to the bunker (although the quasi-famous owner lady passed away this year 2013) and with other guests. Hotel doors are closed - for guests only. Great views.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TrophyCollector
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel is old, but it is extremely clean and decently maintained. The breakfast buffet was nice. We knew the age of the hotel when we booked it and booked because of the history associated with it. We would go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OBX-Girl60
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My family stayed at this hotel for the history. It was very interesting to know that the SS guards stayed here and that Hitler himself lived next door. You do not have to be a neo Nazi to appreciate the history. We are proud Americans and my father fought in WWII. But history is history. And we believe the place is haunted. We had two separate experiences and we did not know about the other persons until we left the hotel. My son and I had a shivering presence- items moving experience in one of the rooms. My adult daughter had a frightening chilling feeling when she was in one of the jail cells below the building in the tunnels. She was at first afraid to tell us about it. I will not get into further details because you may think I'm crazy. But we do not even believe in ghosts. Or we didn't;'t until we visited this hotel. But it is not a negative at all. it ads to the history and to the perhaps violent happenings in this hotel. We loved it - once we left.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the valley. Ours also had a private restroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian S
Charlotte
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We really wanted to write a good review of this very interesting historic hotel but it is hard to justify it. The hotel is undergoing some changes and several look very positive -- the furniture in the hallways, and having a breakfast buffet are good. We also really liked the self-serve bar. We had three rooms for 2 nights. Two of the rooms were much better than the third. Those rooms were larger with balconies and a view of the valley. The third room was very small with a very small shower and shower curtain that was so close that it stuck to your back as you showered. The shower also took at least 5 mintues to rouse up any hot water. But worst of all, the room smelled extremely musty to the point of bothering our allergies and sleep. The hotel apparently needs some TLC. Having a curved shower curtain rod and somehow getting rid of the terrible smell would certainly improve the situation in room 16. We hope that this hotel can update and save itself so all can learn more about its important history.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank incarolina
Orlando
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Im sorry. I really wanted to love the place but as far as a hotel goes, no chance. I booked here and after discovering my room was essentially a closet with a cot, I had to move to the Intercontinental.

Now, with all that said, the building is remarkable. The historical value of this place is off the charts and I'm so happy to have been able to experience it. The Frau was charmingly grouchy, God love her and I paid to see the tunnel system which is well worth the price. Awesome historical value.

Upon reflection, I guess I would not have been able to tour the interior of the house if I'd not had a room booked there. So it was worth one nights cost just to see the fantastic interior and historic pictures inside. I hope someone can purchase the Zum Turken in the future, maintain the history but bring the rooms to just the 1980's even. Maybe even the 70's.

I know many will disagree with my views but trust me, they have clouded historical glasses on if they recommend the place as a hotel. Hotel Intercontinental, 500 yards away.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank clyons24542001
Dickeyville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My wife and I had the privilege of spending the nights of Oct 3 and Oct 4, 2012 as guests at the Hotel Zum Turken. We felt fortunate to book the hotel on relatively short notice the week before. I worked with Frau Scharfenburg via email to agree to all arrangements in advance. I reserved the room with a credit card via telephone speaking directly to her in English, no problems. The process of booking a room and the room rates are absolutely clear. Frau does ask that you check in prior to 5PM (17:00) unless you make special arrangements in advance. Frau Scharfenburg is very clear about her expectations and in exchange provides all of the positives that you read about in many of the previous reviews. We each have a group of people who we feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to meet, I personally count Frau Scharfenburg among that group. She provides a connection in the form of the Turken and her life experience to a period of world history that impacts us all differently. She embodies a work ethic and high standards for excellence that we would all be fortunate to maintain though our entire lives. If you are genuinely interested in experiencing the Turken and meeting Frau Scharfenburg, you will not be disappointed. I have stayed in 4 & 5 start hotels on six continents in the last 2 years. The Turken is one of the few, maybe the only, I will remember 20 years from now. With his permission, I will also mention that I had the unexpected opportunity to meet Geoff Walden at breakfast. Any person with an enthusiasm for history and an appreciation for the breadth of experiences available in Europe, will be completely comfortable at the Turken.

Room Tip: If you can, reserve a balcony room on the front side.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple