“Unique Experience”
Review of Hotel zum Turken

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Berchtesgaden
Hotel zum Turken
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We loved this place! My boss recommended it after staying there a few years ago. It was exactly what we expected from his description...an historical experience in a charming place from yesteryear. It is not a luxary hotel and does not offer modern conveniences such as internet and TVs in the room, but the atmosphere is unlike any other place I've ever stayed. The owner was very accomodating...think B&B. Breakfast was amazing...best coffee ever and soft boiled eggs were perfect. The owner also offered eggs to order. The rooms...in fact the entire place was "eat off the floors" clean. We stayed in a 3-person room (2 adults and 1 kid) on the first floor. The bathtub was huge...no shower though....but water pressure was strong and tub filled up really fast...very relaxing. There is a TV room / bar for the guest that is on the honor system...you write down what you take on a paper and it is added to your bill at checkout. We really enjoyed drinking a few biers with some guests from Miami. Perhaps the best feature of the hotel is the amazing views. I woke up in the morning to watch the fog roll into the valley.....amazing. If we had stayed in the town, we would have been lost in that fog. Hotel is a 5 min walk from the bus station to Eagle's Nest. Bunkers underneathe the hotel are fascinating...and totally not touristy. The rules of the house are strict, but it is afterall more of a museum than a hotel. This place is a real gem...not many like it anymore. Worth the price in my opinion. I hope to come back again to this place....a very unique experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Amy S

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have been here for some nights the last 3 years and it always nice to be back.

The hotel is in old style,,but nice and friendly.

Relaxing too!

Very friendly staff.

Ivar Sørgård. Tromsø.Norway / Munich /bayern

Room Tip: if you like nice old hotell with nice wiev and speciel history ,,this hotel is good.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ivar s
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Unfortunately I didn't know about the Hotel zum Türken before coming to the area, but I will definitely return to stay overnight. Although the Türken is a lot less comfortable than the next-door Interconti, it is preferable as the "real" experience of this historic place. Interesting discussions with the new "old lady" at the reception to the bunker (although the quasi-famous owner lady passed away this year 2013) and with other guests. Hotel doors are closed - for guests only. Great views.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TrophyCollector
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This hotel is old, but it is extremely clean and decently maintained. The breakfast buffet was nice. We knew the age of the hotel when we booked it and booked because of the history associated with it. We would go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OBX-Girl60
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My family stayed at this hotel for the history. It was very interesting to know that the SS guards stayed here and that Hitler himself lived next door. You do not have to be a neo Nazi to appreciate the history. We are proud Americans and my father fought in WWII. But history is history. And we believe the place is haunted. We had two separate experiences and we did not know about the other persons until we left the hotel. My son and I had a shivering presence- items moving experience in one of the rooms. My adult daughter had a frightening chilling feeling when she was in one of the jail cells below the building in the tunnels. She was at first afraid to tell us about it. I will not get into further details because you may think I'm crazy. But we do not even believe in ghosts. Or we didn't;'t until we visited this hotel. But it is not a negative at all. it ads to the history and to the perhaps violent happenings in this hotel. We loved it - once we left.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the valley. Ours also had a private restroom.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian S
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We really wanted to write a good review of this very interesting historic hotel but it is hard to justify it. The hotel is undergoing some changes and several look very positive -- the furniture in the hallways, and having a breakfast buffet are good. We also really liked the self-serve bar. We had three rooms for 2 nights. Two of the rooms were much better than the third. Those rooms were larger with balconies and a view of the valley. The third room was very small with a very small shower and shower curtain that was so close that it stuck to your back as you showered. The shower also took at least 5 mintues to rouse up any hot water. But worst of all, the room smelled extremely musty to the point of bothering our allergies and sleep. The hotel apparently needs some TLC. Having a curved shower curtain rod and somehow getting rid of the terrible smell would certainly improve the situation in room 16. We hope that this hotel can update and save itself so all can learn more about its important history.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank incarolina
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Im sorry. I really wanted to love the place but as far as a hotel goes, no chance. I booked here and after discovering my room was essentially a closet with a cot, I had to move to the Intercontinental.

Now, with all that said, the building is remarkable. The historical value of this place is off the charts and I'm so happy to have been able to experience it. The Frau was charmingly grouchy, God love her and I paid to see the tunnel system which is well worth the price. Awesome historical value.

Upon reflection, I guess I would not have been able to tour the interior of the house if I'd not had a room booked there. So it was worth one nights cost just to see the fantastic interior and historic pictures inside. I hope someone can purchase the Zum Turken in the future, maintain the history but bring the rooms to just the 1980's even. Maybe even the 70's.

I know many will disagree with my views but trust me, they have clouded historical glasses on if they recommend the place as a hotel. Hotel Intercontinental, 500 yards away.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo