“bizzare, but very charming”
Review of Hotel Alte Post

Hotel Alte Post
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Oberammergau
Macon, Georgia
“bizzare, but very charming”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Alte Post for three days during a Christmas tour of Germany.

The first thing that I must report is that Oberammergau is stunningly beautiful in the snow. I felt as if I had stumbled onto the set of a Hollywood movie. Oberammergau lies high in the German Alps. There is one peak nearby, the Kofel, which rises even higher, and it seems always to be looking over you.

The Hotel Alte Post is a bit kitschy, but mostly cozy. For instance, my room had paneling on three walls and on the ceiling. It was very old paneling, which gave off a lovely warm glow. My room also had a religious triptych floating above the head of my bed. Since I am Catholic, this did not bother me much, but someone who is not Catholic might find this alarming. I was traveling with a tour, and one of the other travelers said that she had mounted antlers above her bed. We thought this was a hoot.

The beds are European style, which means that single rooms really have single beds. Double rooms have two single beds placed next to each other in a king-sized frame. I need space when I sleep, so I just moved one of the single mattresses from the king-sized frame across the room and placed it on the floor. It was quite comfortable.

The breakfast at this hotel is incredible. The bread is out of this world, the cold cuts are tasty, the cheeses are delectable, the jams are sublime, and the espresso machine,once mastered, makes very good cappuccino.

The staff is friendly and efficient-- especially young Felix, who speaks perfect English. If you need something and they can get it for you, they will.

The Hotel Alte Post is a little odd, but all the more charming because of it. I rate it a winner.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank PatrickB755

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Hebrew first
Vereeniging, South Africa
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Loved it. Just perfect. Our room was very comfortable, clean, warm and spacious. The food and the restaurant was exceptional we spoilt ourselves with Christmas Dinner and had a full five course meal. Excellent, very tasty and prepared and served with pride and much love for what they do. Breakfast was the norm with the added benefit of ordering eggs, bacon etc. The village of Oberammergau was a pleasant surprise, we walked the streets and found many interesting shops and eating places. The village has a ski slope so skiing is also on offer. We travelled by train from Munich which in itself was a great trip as you see the countryside and experience the local people.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Divediva22
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We loved it from check in to check out. The decoration of the room was pleasant. Room was well-heated as well as bathroom, very welcome in the snowy weather. Wifi worked perfectly and there is a private parking place just next to the hotel. Everything we needed for our two-day stay in the area. We even tried the restaurant : waitress was awfully nice and we had the opportunity to taste an incredible dessert, the Kaiserschmarren, not to be missed (but one is enough for two!)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Modiin
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Stayed here one night, before castles tour. Very nice atmosphere. Rooms with a touch of the old good Europe, cozy and comfortable. Large and modern bathroom. No air conditioner, but I don't think it's necessary there. Lovely town and beautiful views.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
germany
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I have stayed in the Alte Post many times for business, but this is the 1st time I have written a reveiw about it.

We had a 'comfort room' this had no balcony but overlooked the main stret, it was perfectly OK, quite spacey, a little dark but an old style bedroom with character which seems to have been replaced by 'a one style fits all' room. You know the same room you can find all over the world, this one was quinticentially German.

We went to the Plansee, about a 30 minute drive away, if you are planning on visiting Linderhof while you are in O'gau continue on for another 20 minutes, the beauty of the lake is breathtaking, it was the 1st time I had taken my wife there and she could not believe the colour of the water.

The breakfast is, well we went to a cafe across the road, it is, by German standards, basic, do not expect too much then you will not be disappointed.

Stay again, yes, but only for business if I were going as a tourist I would probably look at one of the other hotels in O'gau.

Room Tip: If you want atmosphere go for the comfort room, if you want modern go for the de-lux.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This little hotel in this little town is the perfect place to "wind down" from the rigors of "big city" vacationing. We scheduled a couple of nights at the Hotel Alte Post after several days in Munich. While Munich was also incredible, it is a large city with everything that comes with it, noise, crowds, fast-paced, etc., Oberammergau is exactly the opposite. It is small, uncrowded, quiet, and one of the most charming places on the planet! Our stay at the Hotel Alte Post was no less charming. The staff made us feel right at home, the meals were great and our room was well appointed, clean, and comfortable. The hotel is right on the town square so everything within town is easily within walking distance.

Room Tip: The rooms in the front of the hotel are a bit older and are arguably more charming as a result.
Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank mjbowman82
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I visited the restaurant after a long drive, and it fully recovered us. The salad was fresh, the main course was excellent (fish) and the Bavarian wheat beer was heavenly (excuse me, I did not drive). We enjoyed the atmosphere, we felt centuries-long chain. I do appreciate this place, as well as whole Oberammergau.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends