“Wonderful hotell in a wonderful location”
Review of Hotel Alte Post

Hotel Alte Post
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Oberammergau
Lakeland, Florida
“Wonderful hotell in a wonderful location”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is in the heart of Oberammergau. It is truly Bavarian. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is delicious. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. Also, recommend visiting the Passion Play Theater. I saw the play in 2010, and it will be done again in 2020. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Hebrew first
Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We had traveled from a cheaper area and had been camping so 95€ seemed a shock but comparing against what we sampled later this Hotel is excellent value in a superb position in a top tourist destination so the price was reasonable. Your bang in the center of Oberammergau and to get up and walk to the church at 7,30 before the tourists arrive with the cinnamon smell of the bakeries wafting in the streets was magical.The staff are helpful and friendly, and though they don`t make a big play of it, they will cook sausage, bacon and eggs to order for you. First rate. One gripe, stop charging for WiFi

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bedspring
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is a charming little hotel in an excellent location. Why the terrible rating? The staff! We were with a tour (45 people) and my thought was they just didn't know how to accommodate that many people. We were referred to as "The Americans" with rude wait staff at the front desk, and in the dinning room. First night we asked if there was room service - said yes, and brought coffee up. (This young man was the ONLY helpful person working). Second night, asked if we could have room service - told no but wouldn't serve us in restaurant either. Finally, the waiter brought us 4 cups of coffee to the tune of 25 Euros - translates to $10.00 per cup - and brought to us in disgust.
Because we were such a large group we ordered from a preset menu for dinner on day two. I ordered chicken. Waiters kept passing me, I would indicate chicken, but was never served. Had to speak to tour guide, was told no more chicken. Ok, so I had over done schnitzel. I had ordered chocolate mousse for dessert. Waiter put in front of me, then took it away. When I asked for my chocolate dessert was told there was no more left. AVOID this hotel if you are in a large group!!!

Room Tip: Each room is different. Ask if they will show you the room before you agree to stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelingGal1904
Barnesville, Georgia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My wife and I recently spent 3 nights at the Hotel Alte Post in Oberammergau zentrum. What a great experience! It's a typical family run hotel with modern amenities including WIFI anywhere. The full breakfast with eggs cooked to your liking only made it better. All the desk personnel spoke English beautfifully and were most helpful with assisting us in navigating the area as many roads were closed or dangerous due to heavy snow. Without doubt Oberammeragau and Hotel Alte Post in particular are wonderful experiences to be enjoyed during Christmas and the winter months.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GTJack71
UK
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The Alte Post was our base for 5 nights on a Treyn tour to Bavaria, and it was delightful. Our room was very well appointed and comfortable, the bathroom was excellent. It was always warm, too, so important when it's freezing outside. The breakfast was first class, always a great spread. We would have liked somewhere more comfortable to sit in the evenings apart from the Stubel - a lounge area would be a great asset. Food on a package holiday is always a bit dull, and this wasn't any exception, but what we had was always well cooked, and they were very helpful with a guest who had strict dietary restrictions. Also, it's ideally located in the centre of the town. the staff are extremely good.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank heatheruth
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We have stayed at the Alte Post every January for 14 years and the welcome and standard of service remains consistently good. Rooms are clean and spacious. Anton Jr and his team look after guests impeccably.

Breakfast is the usual German fare and of high quality.

The hotel has it's own private car park and the hotel is situated in the centre of the village. WiFi works throughout the hotel and available on a payment basis.

Room Tip: Views are good from the front of the hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Alte Post for three days during a Christmas tour of Germany.

The first thing that I must report is that Oberammergau is stunningly beautiful in the snow. I felt as if I had stumbled onto the set of a Hollywood movie. Oberammergau lies high in the German Alps. There is one peak nearby, the Kofel, which rises even higher, and it seems always to be looking over you.

The Hotel Alte Post is a bit kitschy, but mostly cozy. For instance, my room had paneling on three walls and on the ceiling. It was very old paneling, which gave off a lovely warm glow. My room also had a religious triptych floating above the head of my bed. Since I am Catholic, this did not bother me much, but someone who is not Catholic might find this alarming. I was traveling with a tour, and one of the other travelers said that she had mounted antlers above her bed. We thought this was a hoot.

The beds are European style, which means that single rooms really have single beds. Double rooms have two single beds placed next to each other in a king-sized frame. I need space when I sleep, so I just moved one of the single mattresses from the king-sized frame across the room and placed it on the floor. It was quite comfortable.

The breakfast at this hotel is incredible. The bread is out of this world, the cold cuts are tasty, the cheeses are delectable, the jams are sublime, and the espresso machine,once mastered, makes very good cappuccino.

The staff is friendly and efficient-- especially young Felix, who speaks perfect English. If you need something and they can get it for you, they will.

The Hotel Alte Post is a little odd, but all the more charming because of it. I rate it a winner.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends