“So friendly hosts, very clean, perfect !”

Gastehaus Hildegard
Ranked #7 of 12 Oberammergau B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“So friendly hosts, very clean, perfect !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

We've stayed there 2 times for 2 weeks - and it was wonderful ! Very friendly hosts, great food - everyday different range of choice, very clean and good equipped rooms- cleaned every day.
Definitely we'll come back here - it was great time !

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Gainesville, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We traveled all over Germany for 3 weeks. This was, by far, our most bizarre experience. When we arrived (5 of us), we rang the bell and were admitted by the husband of the couple who run the property (they live in the building). We were not greeted warmly, in fact, the husband just stared at us as if we were relatives who had arrived unannounced. This was awkward and uncomfortable and commented upon later and noticed by all of us. We had to do the talking to warm things up. It was very strange. In any case, we were all shown to our rooms which were very clean and sparten which we expected. After settling in, my husband asked the husband of the couple if we could do some laundry. He replied that this was no problem and showed my husband how to use the machines. The first load went in and everyone in the group (except myself) decided to go to dinner. I decided to take a nap and was awakened about an hour later by the wife of the owner knocking on the door and requesting that I finish the laundry. I was in my pajamas and feeling unwell, but decided that I should dress and go down since she informed me that "We can't do laundry all night long!" She also informed me that there was a 5 euro charge. No big deal about the charge, but the rudeness is typical Germany. She should have said, "Mrs. Schmidt, in this house we try to have quiet by 10pm, so we are hoping to have the laundry done by then". Now, here is where I should note that the laundry was deep in the cellar and there was only one other guest in the house! It's all about the "rules and ordnung", folks! Unfortunately, there was a big event in the town for the time we were there, so the restaurants were all full and my husband and other family members had a hard time getting served. By the time they arrived back at the house, it was past 8:00 and things were not good. We were not able to do all of our laundry and the couple seemed completely thrown off by our not knowing their "house rules" and hurrying along the drying of our laundry. They were so determined to have us done with the laundry, that they brought up laundry stands (two large ones) and draped our laundry outside in the hallway. We thought it was in the dryer, drying! In the morning, it was all still sopping wet! Everyone took turns in their bathroom with the hair dryer drying their laundry. My husband did this for over one hour straight! And, still they charged us for the use of their machines. The next morning they served a lovely breakfast and were friendly, but the entire stay was marred by their lack of being able to go with the flow and dry the laundry. It is a German fetish, I have learned. They seem to have an innate fear of completely drying the laundry. Dryers, it seems, are completely wasted on them.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family